Author Topic: Might be getting Player Arenas  (Read 1945 times)

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
Re: Might be getting Player Arenas
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2010, 01:21:23 PM »
they must be uploaded to the arena in order to work properly, the local pc does not have control over the settings on the arena.

I take it you never hosted an old H2H arena? If the arena tables were REQUIRED, then there'd be no use in the Arena Setting tab or the settings dot commands. All a table is is a preset which can be loaded onto the HTC server, specifically for quick-loading special events at this point. The arena can then be further customized (without changing the table) after you've loaded one.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2010, 02:08:02 PM »
Not unless I can wear a clothes pin on my nose  :neener:

On another note I heard the pigs are missing a few of their numbers. I'm not sure where they went but I did notice Rath bacon is on sale.  :D

Pigs choose to be missing for their own reasons. We have no pens nor gate latch to place a lock on. POTW are free ranging swine and share our conquests with the rest of the sounder. But, then we are a passel of Hogs.

If it's not POTW bacon, food is food. You should try brineing your pork before cooking it. Makes it real tender and juicey. Because of the unique cell structure of porcine protein it takes a minimum of 4 days to osmotically penetrate all of the meat. Another method that works real good for pork b#tt is to dry coat it and leave it covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Baby back ribs get real tastey by doing the same. Heck even a raccoon tastes like pork after 4 days of brineing....... :aok
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2010, 03:30:08 PM »
How did everyone come to the conclusion that the H2H bit will be hosted by HiTech?

I would imagine that it would be similar as before, but the arena's would only be able to be viewed and created once you logged in (much like the MA's now).  The whole point of the H2H arenas was so you could make the settings and maps different from the main arenas.  Clogging up HTC's servers with custom maps, bunches of little side-servers and the like wouldn't make much sense to me if I were running the company.  It would also require a bunch more resources on the server side.  I imagine that each individual arena would need it's own instance, would would rack up memory and processor usage rather quickly (at least this is true of other games I've hosted on my server at home).

Also, it seems to me that if we received a patch to change the structure and architecture of the game to allow H2H, then the hosting will probably be done on our side.

These are just my assumptions, however.
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2010, 03:32:32 PM »
How did everyone come to the conclusion that the H2H bit will be hosted by HiTech?

Because that's what HTC said a while ago.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2010, 03:39:38 PM »
Pigs choose to be missing for their own reasons. We have no pens nor gate latch to place a lock on. POTW are free ranging swine and share our conquests with the rest of the sounder. But, then we are a passel of Hogs.

If it's not POTW bacon, food is food. You should try brineing your pork before cooking it. Makes it real tender and juicey. Because of the unique cell structure of porcine protein it takes a minimum of 4 days to osmotically penetrate all of the meat. Another method that works real good for pork b#tt is to dry coat it and leave it covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Baby back ribs get real tastey by doing the same. Heck even a raccoon tastes like pork after 4 days of brineing....... :aok
He actually talks like this on squad channel...when I used to smoke alot of weed, I could barely control myself listening to his rants.

Awesome having Bustr around lol

Id like to see an FFA arena personally
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2010, 03:40:25 PM »
Because that's what HTC said a while ago.

I suppose that'd do it, yes...

That's kind of a bummer.  I was hoping to perhaps use the server in my room to host a 24/7 H2H arena. :(

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2010, 04:25:14 PM »

On another note I heard the pigs are missing a few of their numbers. I'm not sure where they went but I did notice Rath bacon is on sale.  :D

We're around, some of us are just busier at home or the office than others at the moment. 

I decided to make a winning decision before my 27th birthday in my long and loosing battle with lots of debt dumped on me after my ex bailed a couple years ago and just moved back home last month for a breather.  Only to find, contrary to the common belief (and many years of bewidleing I recieved (and will now use to my advantage in never letting them hear an end to this)) that kids do nothing and parents do everything in a household, that none of the "major" maintenance and upkeep projects around the house have been tended to in my brother's and my own absence over the past 5 years.  This weekend alone I patched a 10-foot chunk of chain-link fence, dugout post holes for a new 60-foot span of chain-link fencing my dad been talking about getting around to for about 10-years now, installed the posts the next day after handmixing a couple sacks of cement, replaced one gutter and cleaned out the rest, unclogged and cleaned out all the storm drains so they'll work this year, and rebuilt and got working the small sump-pump for our sub-grade garage.  Almost done with most of the things I've been wanting to get to around the place, but some things like the reroofing and repainting the house I get to push off until next spring.  I have the interior side of a wall that used to have a door leading to the outside from the bathroom (but now has a window instead) to finish sanding and painting when I get around to repainting it (and remodeling the cabinets) later this fall/winter.

This is also the time of year I try to surround myself with friends or try to get out at much as I can during my down time, rather than sit around the house and on the computer, but that's another story.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2010, 04:34:06 PM »

We're around, some of us are just busier at home or the office than others at the moment. 

I decided to make a winning decision before my 27th birthday in my long and loosing battle with lots of debt dumped on me after my ex bailed a couple years ago and just moved back home last month for a breather.  Only to find, contrary to the common belief (and many years of bewidleing I recieved (and will now use to my advantage in never letting them hear an end to this)) that kids do nothing and parents do everything in a household, that none of the "major" maintenance and upkeep projects around the house have been tended to in my brother's and my own absence over the past 5 years.  This weekend alone I patched a 10-foot chunk of chain-link fence, dugout post holes for a new 60-foot span of chain-link fencing my dad been talking about getting around to for about 10-years now, installed the posts the next day after handmixing a couple sacks of cement, replaced one gutter and cleaned out the rest, unclogged and cleaned out all the storm drains so they'll work this year, and rebuilt and got working the small sump-pump for our sub-grade garage.  Almost done with most of the things I've been wanting to get to around the place, but some things like the reroofing and repainting the house I get to push off until next spring.  I have the interior side of a wall that used to have a door leading to the outside from the bathroom (but now has a window instead) to finish sanding and painting when I get around to repainting it (and remodeling the cabinets) later this fall/winter.

This is also the time of year I try to surround myself with friends or try to get out at much as I can during my down time, rather than sit around the house and on the computer, but that's another story.

My observation was to setup a joke. :D

Glad to hear your on the ups now. Can be tough getting burried in debt.

Always great to foster new friendships and nurture older ones as well.

Good luck in all your doing right now.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Perrine

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2010, 04:39:52 PM »
If we get this feature would it be possible to have No Icon mode like in AvA?

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2010, 04:42:18 PM »
When we get em I'll probably leave the MA for good and get into full time hosting.  I did it a lot in H2H.  I have many never released terrains ready to go when the day finally comes.

If we get this feature would it be possible to have No Icon mode like in AvA?

Should be no problem.  That's just a simple arena setting via the clipboard for the host.  I can almost guarantee it.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 04:44:11 PM by USRanger »
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2010, 05:16:05 PM »
When we get em I'll probably leave the MA for good and get into full time hosting.  I did it a lot in H2H.  I have many never released terrains ready to go when the day finally comes.

Should be no problem.  That's just a simple arena setting via the clipboard for the host.  I can almost guarantee it.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOO!!!!!!!!

At least drop in on AVA from time to time...
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2010, 05:22:32 PM »
If the H2H are hosted like virtulization such as ESX Server, HTC's actual hardware servers will never break a swet. I doubt the over head to run a single instance of the H2H hosting interface is that high and 20-30 virtual instances would be within reason. Large american corporations have been using ESX strategies to combine very large MSSQL servers and backend application instances to reduce hardware costs.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2010, 05:27:24 PM »
I'm going to host a room just so I can .eject bustr.   :banana:

Over and over and over again.   :banana:
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2010, 05:33:04 PM »
If the H2H are hosted like virtulization such as ESX Server, HTC's actual hardware servers will never break a swet. I doubt the over head to run a single instance of the H2H hosting interface is that high and 20-30 virtual instances would be within reason. Large american corporations have been using ESX strategies to combine very large MSSQL servers and backend application instances to reduce hardware costs.

Yes, virtualization keeps cost down by keeping the number of individual servers down (hardware, software, and power costs).  However, these servers' loads are still increased based on the number of virtualizations running.  Server still has to do the individual calculations of each virtualization, that includes loading the instructions into RAM for each running process.  That's why you see these crazy 2x (Sometimes more) Xeon Quad Core servers with more RAM than some hard drives.

There is no free lunch, unfortunately.

I can't say a thing about the set-up that HiTech has, or how much power AHII requires to run.  Who knows, the server software could be a 1MB file and hardly utilize the processor.  I'm sure he knows what he's doing, just an interesting concept.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 05:38:57 PM by SectorNine50 »

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2010, 06:37:38 PM »
Yes, virtualization keeps cost down by keeping the number of individual servers down (hardware, software, and power costs).  However, these servers' loads are still increased based on the number of virtualizations running.  Server still has to do the individual calculations of each virtualization, that includes loading the instructions into RAM for each running process.  That's why you see these crazy 2x (Sometimes more) Xeon Quad Core servers with more RAM than some hard drives.

There is no free lunch, unfortunately.

I can't say a thing about the set-up that HiTech has, or how much power AHII requires to run.  Who knows, the server software could be a 1MB file and hardly utilize the processor.  I'm sure he knows what he's doing, just an interesting concept.

I seem to remember Skuzzy said something like with ALL the arenas running on a busy night the servers are still running under 10%. I don't think running a number of H2H arenas as well is even going to put a dent in it.