Author Topic: November FSO: In Harms Way  (Read 1691 times)

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
November FSO: In Harms Way
« on: October 17, 2010, 04:34:17 PM »
An alternate history event.

The terms of the Potsdam Declaration of July 1945 demanded the military and political surrender of the Empire of Japan. Lacking any sign that Japanese rulers were ready to accept such an outcome the USAAF was ordered to proceed with the atomic bomb attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. In the aftermath the hardliners in Tojos government held sway and would not contemplate surrender despite the destruction. Worse still for the Allies the atomic bomb project was behind schedule with no date set for another weapon. The stage was now set for the final Allied offensive of the war. Code named operation DOWNFALL this was the plan to land a massive amphibious force on the Japanese Home Islands. Operation ICEBERG, the battle for Okinawa, had ended on June 21st 1945. Along with the capture of Iwo Jima this had brought Japan within reach of land based air power. In anticipation of the main invasion of Japan the USAAF Far Eastern Air Forces deployed to Okinawa in strength to join the Fast Carrier Task Force in offensive operations against Kyushu and the surrounding sealanes of the Ryuku Island chain. The aim was to soften up Japanese forces including the airpower of the IJN and IJAAF in a prelude to the first of the DOWNFALL landings. The first of these landings code named OLYMPIC were scheduled for November 1st 1945 (X-Day). Following OLYMPIC, CORONET would follow in early 1946 with a landing on the Honshu plain with its aim to take the capital of Tokyo and bring the war to an end by conventional means.

Along with the USAAF 8th AF redeploying from Europe to the Pacific plans for OLYMPIC also included a component of RAF Bomber Command known as TIGER FORCE which would add over 500 bombers to the USAAF bomber forces already assembling incuding Lancasters, Liberators and Mosquitos. On the Japanese side every resource was being used to fortify the homeland in a fight viewed as a battle for survival. Historical estimates put the reserves of aircraft Japan was withholding for an invasion at @ 10,000 machines. These included conventional aircraft, Kamikaze and assorted types, all of which would be hurled at the invaders. The cost in manpower would be high to both sides in what would be the largest amphibious invasion in history, even dwarfing the Normandy landings of 1944.

This FSO will focus on the Allied preparation strikes for OLYMPIC in October 1945 and the Japanese response of unleashing large reserves of combat aircraft against the Allied carrier flotilla and Okinawa itself in an attempt to thwart the invasion. The Japanese will have one aircraft carrier (HIJMS IKOMA) per frame representing a recently completed vessel with operational aircraft aboard.

Details here:

http://ahevents.org/fso-current-next-event.html

Registration is open and you will be able to update your squad info untill Thursday October 21st.

Frame 1 is on Friday October 29th.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 04:43:57 PM by Squire »
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
Re: November FSO: In Harms Way
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 04:43:29 PM »
Looks good Warloc!  :aok

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline CHAPPY

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 05:31:26 PM »
Looks outstanding, squad info updated. :salute

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 02:07:42 AM »
It would be interesting if the F8F had a chance.  Neverless great set up!
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline jededii

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 03:10:45 PM »
Looks like a good one Warloc :cheers:
Jededii=1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm

Offline Edgar

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 10:27:15 PM »
Looks Good!

Squad Info Updated.
XO
VMF-222 ~Flying Deuces~
http://www.vmf-222.com/

Offline 49Jester

• Copper Member
      • Home of the Fightin' 49ers
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 07:46:47 AM »
 :salute  Squad info updated
49th Fighter Group Commanding Officer

http://49thfightergroup.weebly.com/

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 07:14:15 PM »
Whoa! Deja Vu! Op Downfall, all over again (but in FSO format!)

Well, I did miss 2 frames, so at least I can make up for that now!

Offline Squire

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 07:45:35 PM »
Similar but not quite. Harms Way is on the Okinawa terrain, not Japan, and the there wont be Allied landings, its a straight air-sea battle with island targets as well. Also the is an RAF presence. Does share certain attributes with Armageddon (my own FSO), Back to Tokyo (FSO), August Storm (FSO Russia vs Japan) and Downfall (the Scenario) but all of those used the Japan terrain. I decided on this setup just so it would not be just a copy of a previous event or rerun of my own Armageddon. Would have loved to have used the upcoming G4M Betty (would have been a 1943 setup) but that will have to wait untill next go round.  ;)
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Viper61

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 08:57:05 PM »
Finally a "What if scenario".  Great idea and scenario.  Looks like fun except for the 36 guys that get stuck in the IJN zero's.  Would be more fair to get rid of them or make them optional.

For whats it worth I'd like to see more of the "What if" scenario's each year.  There always fun  :aok 

Offline Viper61

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 07:09:08 PM »
325th VFG info updated

Offline MachNix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 07:41:29 PM »
Squire,

Do you have the inside scoop on when the G4M will make the game?  As far as I can tell, everything gets done at HTC in two weeks so there is still hope that it will be available – just maybe not for Frame 1.

Offline razmataz

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 11:13:42 PM »
Squad info updated. Looking forward to another FSO  :salute

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 12:06:59 AM »
Squire,

Do you have the inside scoop on when the G4M will make the game?  As far as I can tell, everything gets done at HTC in two weeks so there is still hope that it will be available – just maybe not for Frame 1.

The Betty we're getting (that we know of) was only used up until mid 1943. After that point they started upgrading them, giving them armor, more firepower, etc. For a setup like this that involves mid-1945 aircraft, it would be like throwing a 109E up against F4U-4s.

Offline Squire

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 06:54:36 PM »
When will the G4M Betty make an FSO? not off hand no. Next time a setup featuring the Japanese comes through 1941-43 its almost assured though I would think. Stay tuned. Heck...maybe we will have a few more new planes to look over in the meantime <fingers crossed>. Ki-43?  :pray
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
Aces High since Tour 24