Author Topic: Starting Trim?  (Read 1282 times)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Starting Trim?
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2010, 06:50:57 AM »
I have to do a lot of editing myself ColTomb.   :D

Offline groundfeeder

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2010, 07:40:05 AM »
Many,many factors play into the amount of rudder that needs to be applied during takeoff.

In the real world an aircraft equipped with say, a 100 hp engine and then modified with a 150 hp, will react much different on takeoff than one would think.

The size of the prop does make a difference, but in general it is how fast it spins in takeoff (rpm) and pitch. The defult setting in AH is high rpm, what you want during takeoff. As far as P-factor, design of the aircraft can also play a big part, if you have a big tail surface, you may need more rudder,conversely the large rudder will have more effect at slower speeds.

Best way to put it is every aircraft in here is a little different, just need to figure each one out.

A good way to do this is to start auto-takeoff and then move the controls a little bit to gain manual control. Do this closer and closer to initial takeoff as you get better. :joystick:

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2010, 09:03:10 AM »
Right now whenever I launch on the runway, elevator trim is all the way up, rudder trim is mostly centered, and aileron trim is moved way to the right. This is a pretty good initial setup for single-engine aircraft, but means that I'm having to apply rudder input for a straight takeoff even for multi-engine aircraft. Is there any way to change this setup for multi-engine aircraft? Not sure where this might even get set. It doesn't seem to remember from the prior flight, not sure, but with a multi-engine aircraft I really want rudder and aileron centered on takeoff.

well...in real life, you need rudder input to keep her straight on the runway. i don't know for multi engined, as i've never flown multiengined planes in real life......
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline groundfeeder

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 09:31:00 AM »

Rudder trim is just what it says....trim, it is no way designed to be able to fly the aircraft,only to take the load from the controls, otherwise it would be to heavy to hold the yoke, or stick for any time period.
ironically you can fly an aircraft to the ground with just trim. A typical configuration for takeoff is rudder trim center and aileron trim center with slight nose up trim inside of a "range" sometimes marked on the trim wheel itself

well...in real life, you need rudder input to keep her straight on the runway. i don't know for multi engined, as I've never flown multiengined planes in real life......

Multi engine same thing, instead of 1 prop producing torque you now have 2, counter-rotating props cancel out the torque, and produce a center line of thrust condition similar to jets. Even in this config the rudder is still needed as you advance the throttles due to the fact that both engines are rarley "matched" perfectly to each other and their corresponding throttle position. also you may tend to push up in different positions. cross wind conditions also make the use of the rudder..EXTREAMLY important! the ailerons will need to be used also to keep the upwind wing from lifting.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2010, 09:39:42 AM »
Multi engine same thing, instead of 1 prop producing torque you now have 2, counter-rotating props cancel out the torque, and produce a center line of thrust condition similar to jets. Even in this config the rudder is still needed as you advance the throttles due to the fact that both engines are rarley "matched" perfectly to each other and their corresponding throttle position. also you may tend to push up in different positions. cross wind conditions also make the use of the rudder..EXTREAMLY important! the ailerons will need to be used also to keep the upwind wing from lifting.

yea.....my crosswind takeoffs are good. my crosswind landings, although my cfi has always told me they're good, i don't think so......i feel like they're crappy.
 bob tells me otherwise. he thinks i'm too hard on myself. in all honesty though, crosswind landings are fun, due to the challenge i feel they offer me. landing at ocean city nj is one of my favorites, because there's always at least 6kts, and the runway is short and skinny.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2010, 12:12:38 PM »
So, does anyone in AH beside me do this?  No auto-takeoff...advance throttle gently until wide-open, apply the little bit of rudder you need - as you need it...then let the plane lift of the runway?  Or does everyone just slam the throttle open and complain that the plane jerks toward the side of the runway and have to use auto-takeoff because they can't control the plane?
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2010, 12:38:10 PM »
So, does anyone in AH beside me do this?  No auto-takeoff...advance throttle gently until wide-open, apply the little bit of rudder you need - as you need it...then let the plane lift of the runway?  Or does everyone just slam the throttle open and complain that the plane jerks toward the side of the runway and have to use auto-takeoff because they can't control the plane?

if i'm not rushing to defend a base, i do a 5 count as i feed in throttle, and correct accordingly.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2010, 01:18:02 PM »
I hope you're starting one engine at a time.   :old:

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2010, 01:28:49 PM »
I hope you're starting one engine at a time.   :old:

i even yell "clear prop!!"  :D
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"