Author Topic: WTB Older AGP Card  (Read 397 times)

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
WTB Older AGP Card
« on: October 26, 2010, 11:04:48 PM »
Looking for something cheap.  AGP, needs to be Geforce FX series or newer, ATI 9500 or newer.  Can be the low end stuff, even like a FX 5200.  Again, cheap is the key.  Couldn't find anything local on craigslist that wasn't either way too old or way to expensive.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: WTB Older AGP Card
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 12:25:50 AM »
Define "cheap"?

You can get a low end (but still gaming-capable) ATI 4650 for about $50-$60 nowadays off NewEgg, or a comparable GeForce 9600 for similar price.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 07:28:11 AM »
Like $10-$15.  Like the lowest price for AGP cards on newegg etc is $32.00 + shipping.  That would be more than what I want.
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Xtrepid

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 08:00:52 AM »
Like $10-$15.  Like the lowest price for AGP cards on newegg etc is $32.00 + shipping.  That would be more than what I want.

If you have no luck here... try eBay... and be patient... I purchased a FX5600 for 22.00 (new) w/shipping.

Good luck...

X :salute

SHOOT TO THRILL
"We don't hide crazy... we just put it on the front porch and give it a drink"

Offline columbus

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 09:46:53 AM »
i have a 6800GS AGPX8 w/ 512 DDR3 sitting here at the store. willing to part for it 50.00 + shipping
if you decide you want to go with something a little better then low end

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1960935&CatId=2234

comes with card and the dual molex to 6-pin power adapter

« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 09:49:55 AM by columbus »

Offline MonkGF

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 06:31:46 PM »
Looking for something cheap.  AGP, needs to be Geforce FX series or newer, ATI 9500 or newer.  Can be the low end stuff, even like a FX 5200.  Again, cheap is the key.  Couldn't find anything local on craigslist that wasn't either way too old or way to expensive.

If the words "GeForce" and "FX" appear in the card name, RUN! "MX" is another good one to avoid. The 6800 columbus posts is decent.
-- Greg Stelmack
-- Ex-AW pilot, Gunfighters Squadron

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 07:34:55 PM »
Need Shader model 2.0 at least.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 10:23:20 PM »
Depends on if he's just trying to get a system up and running because his only AGP card burnt out..... If so then the cheap $20 card will let you boot to windows. Don't expect any gaming, though.

If he's looking for a budget barebones card to game at minimum spec, he shouldn't look at those cheap cards.

Really depends on "why" I guess.

Offline L0nGb0w

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 11:39:48 PM »
I have an AGP 8x ATI X1650, no idea if that's newer than the 9500 or not I haven't looked back since I built my new machine.  It's sitting in a box in my parent's attic and it's yours if you want it.
~Kommando Nowotny~
ZLA - Don't Focke Wulf Us

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 03:48:07 PM »
I may have one in an old box as well and if you want it just pay for shipping and we will call it done. I will pull that old box open tonight and see what is in it.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 04:42:26 PM »
I needed it for putting together a system for my nephew.  He plays a some game (I can't remember what it is even), and I'm putting together an old build for him.  At least keep his parents happy from using their computer.

These were minimum specs for the game.

I was able to get my old 5900XT back from my brother for the computer, which I thought was long gone.  Don't need the card anymore.  Appreciate the offers.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 05:10:44 PM »
I needed it for putting together a system for my nephew.  He plays a some game (I can't remember what it is even), and I'm putting together an old build for him.  At least keep his parents happy from using their computer.

These were minimum specs for the game.

I was able to get my old 5900XT back from my brother for the computer, which I thought was long gone.  Don't need the card anymore.  Appreciate the offers.

If you're looking for an AGP card, you have two choices.  You can go for the ATI 3850 AGP card, even though old it still gives you good bang for the buck and will work decently with pretty much any game out on the market.  It is also DX10.1 compatible.

Your second choice is the ATI 4670 AGP, though I would only recommend the HIS Ice-Q 1gig 4670 AGP because it's the only ATI 4xxx AGP series that has DDR3 memory, the rest have DDR2 memory. 

On an old machine, I've used both cards and I never had a problem with either cards.  Good bang for the buck to help keep an old system up and running.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song