Author Topic: Ship Command  (Read 705 times)

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
Ship Command
« on: October 28, 2010, 05:01:39 PM »
I'd like to get a consensus of opinions please. If you're in a fight with a CV, there's only a couple of you doing the fighting. You have a clear cut plan, when you're in the air someone else is watching the boat, then they're up you watch it. You're steaming straight north with high Lancs coming broadside from the East. Some, uh, "Dufus" Rear-Admiral changes the direction of the fleet directly into the path of the bombers not once, but twice. Now this "Dufus" is not on the boat nor involved in the fight, but observing from afar....lol. The Lanc light the carrier, which can now be seen from a half sector away and the rest of the fight is spent fending off Uber newb diver bombers and Lancs thus ending our assault. My wish is this: If not involved with the battle, regardless of the fact that they have 100 more points than you or your mission companions, they not be able to Rear-Admiral the ship and ass-u-me command without permission. I really wouldn't mind someone taking command, who is on the ship, can see what's happening, is part of the fight, & communicating with us. This "Dufus" criticized our tactics, turned it in to hazard, then blamed us for the bomb hit shortly after he took command. Then, of course, he disappeared and didn't help us defend the injured vessel. IMO   :old:
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline Ping

• Silver Member
Re: Ship Command
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 05:07:20 PM »
Suggestions have been made that if in command you stay on the boat.
That would stop that particular situation from reoccurring
I/JG2 Enemy Coast Ahead

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 06:49:58 PM »
Then you will have a dufus in the battle handling the cv who has a higher rank.  Problem with cvs is that nobody likes to fly cap and I say it because I sink them all the time.  I will often see planes flyby and go filch the field.

In other words people upping from the cv are just as responsible as the one driving it.

Semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline hlbly

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 06:50:24 PM »
Going right at high alt buffs then changing course right about icon range almost guarantees a miss from the buffs .

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 09:24:24 PM »
Going right at high alt buffs then changing course right about icon range almost guarantees a miss from the buffs .

rgr that's what I was about to do before the Rear Admiral took charge.  :furious
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline hlbly

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 01:48:51 AM »
Yeah I hate that . Worse still is you get almost in position to kill nme fleet , or drop nme base and they turn you away .

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 02:00:04 AM »
If you're not in the sector, you should not be able to control the boat.

Period.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline dirt911

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 08:38:30 PM »

Period.

+1

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 07:06:20 PM »

Period.

This would be a good start. I think it should include, If you haven't been on the boat in the last 15 minutes, or are not still in a vehicle or aircraft which launched from the boat, you cannot command it.  :salute
WildWzl

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 07:38:41 PM »
I'd like to get a consensus of opinions please.

You will never get a consensus of opinions on anything in this forum   ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 04:19:02 PM »
I think you can refine that suggestion further...

If your on the boat AND in a gun....rank is no longer an issue except when considering command wth any other guy ON THE BOAT and in a gun...

In other words if nobody is in the guns...then it looks purely at rank...if people are in guns then it gives preference to the guy in the gun over the guy flying a fighter 12 miles away...then gives preference to the gunner who has a higher rank over lesser ranked gunner...

Nothing rankles more than a narcissistic fighter pilot with a low score taking control of a Task Group without taking any of the incumbent responsibility inherent in the command he secured for himself...pilots such as these need to find a boat driver for them that they then can issue orders to if that is what they want to do...

Oneway

Edit: The sector argument does not carry water because their are countless times when a ship needs to be directed to a fight and its many many sectors away from the fight...if a Sector based method was employed...it would force pilots to ground their planes, jump to the boat or sector...then drive the boat. That is totally impractical given the current construct.

Edit: per Filch: Then you will have a dufus in the battle handling the cv who has a higher rank. Filch, this argument is specious in the sense that is what we already have; instead though, the "dufus" is 12 or more miles away. I have rarely seen a 'dufus' with a low score take command of a boat and actually remain on the boat. I spend a ton of time gunning boats...99% of the time the culprits are the hot shot fighter pilots with low scores, that rarely if ever actually sit in a gun for more than a minute or two...the little air marshals waging their suicidal crusades against single fields when they themselves haven't even taken the time to disable the ords on the base they are driving the ship to...

« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 04:30:52 PM by oneway »

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 04:39:19 PM »

Wait a minute Lusche, I agree with your statement.  Is that not a consensus? :D
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 07:22:00 PM »
I think you can refine that suggestion further...

If your on the boat AND in a gun....rank is no longer an issue except when considering command wth any other guy ON THE BOAT and in a gun...

In other words if nobody is in the guns...then it looks purely at rank...if people are in guns then it gives preference to the guy in the gun over the guy flying a fighter 12 miles away...then gives preference to the gunner who has a higher rank over lesser ranked gunner...

Nothing rankles more than a narcissistic fighter pilot with a low score taking control of a Task Group without taking any of the incumbent responsibility inherent in the command he secured for himself...pilots such as these need to find a boat driver for them that they then can issue orders to if that is what they want to do...

Oneway

Edit: The sector argument does not carry water because their are countless times when a ship needs to be directed to a fight and its many many sectors away from the fight...if a Sector based method was employed...it would force pilots to ground their planes, jump to the boat or sector...then drive the boat. That is totally impractical given the current construct.

Edit: per Filch: Then you will have a dufus in the battle handling the cv who has a higher rank. Filch, this argument is specious in the sense that is what we already have; instead though, the "dufus" is 12 or more miles away. I have rarely seen a 'dufus' with a low score take command of a boat and actually remain on the boat. I spend a ton of time gunning boats...99% of the time the culprits are the hot shot fighter pilots with low scores, that rarely if ever actually sit in a gun for more than a minute or two...the little air marshals waging their suicidal crusades against single fields when they themselves haven't even taken the time to disable the ords on the base they are driving the ship to...

I would only modify this to say, "In a gun or Plane or Boat or landing craft from the fleet". But I like your idea mostly, but More than likely if the boat is several sectors away it will probably be unmanned, so If it's unmanned, or no one currently upping from it, then anyone can turn it, right? :salute
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 07:26:04 PM by W7LPNRICK »
WildWzl

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 09:31:40 PM »
 :lol

See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 09:38:06 PM »
Wait a minute Lusche, I agree with your statement.  Is that not a consensus? :D

I agree with that statement also!!

Its no longer a consensus, its a movement!!! :salute
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP