Author Topic: Is Halloween dying?  (Read 1122 times)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
Is Halloween dying?
« on: November 01, 2010, 09:34:50 AM »
I didn't see any kids out and about trick or treating last night.  Is this tradition going by the wayside?
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
Re: Is Halloween dying?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 09:38:08 AM »
Had plenty of six foot tall trick or treaters.

Teenagers shouldn't be trick or treating
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline 68Mason

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 09:38:54 AM »
Depends...parents take their kids to places they think are safe.  The mall was one place to go this year as well as one of the bigger churches in the city.  We took our kids to the mall last year and will not do that again. It was jammed packed worse than a Wal-Mart on Friday after Thanksgiving!

We were still able to give out the 4 bags of candy at our house though.
Commanding Officer
68th Bombardment Squadron
"Fighting 68th"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 09:39:36 AM »
Not here..... many go to the mall which have trick or treating in a safe environment.

I know of one large Baptist church here that had a car show, food, pony rides, games, and even mud bogs for the 4 wheelers.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Viperius

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 09:45:28 AM »

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 10:49:21 AM »
had about 30-40 kids show up last night....

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 10:54:41 AM »
hahah funny picture.

Really though, it all comes down to the age of your neighborhood.  Where I live we never get any, but it's an older neighborhood and the few kids left here are already in their teens.

Last night my g/f's brother had a get together at his house so we went there.  They had kids walking around everywhere, trick or treating!  (There was even one guy at the end of the block handing out beer to the adults LOL).  One guy even hitched a trailor full of hay to his ATV and was giving hay rides around the neighborhood...  So there was a lot going on there.

Then again, this is a 'new' neighborhood full of parents in their 20's and very few teenagers... the oldest of the kids MIGHT have been 14.

Of course, they were telling us that even this was nothing compared to a few years back so it's probably a combination of foreclosures (several empty houses on their block) and kids growing up.. you know.. too 'old' to Trick-or-treat because it's 'not cool'.

They have one 11 year old son who thought he was too old to TorT so he acted all sick and all.. but after he saw a few kids walking around with bags full of candy... well on came his football jersey, his helmet, and his pillowcase and he was gone!

It still around.. you just have to find the places where it happens.  Kids do grow up, ya know.. (and they rarely raise a family in their parent's house... although this is probably getting more common these days...)

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 11:04:47 AM »
The kids were out in force around here last night. Most I've seen in a while actually.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 11:08:01 AM »
fair point Tigger.. I didn't really think about that until your post and I realized that I'm surrounded by retirees on all sides so that probably contributes
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline gusman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 11:20:53 AM »
We live in the only part of town that has sidewalks. Parents bus their kids in. We gave out more then 450 pcs. of candy last night and had to turn the lights out at 7:45pm. It's very festive and since there is a 9pm curfew there is no longer any property damage.

Cheers,
gus

Lt Cdr gus
801 Squadron FAA
Squadron XO

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 11:24:45 AM »
My mom had over 500 kids last night! 
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 11:36:04 AM »
I had about 36 to 40 kids, lol cute thing is these 3 kept coming back 3 times before the end of the night  :rofl  they lived 3 houses down, so i kept loading them up better them to eat it then me lol
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline shotgunneeley

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 11:44:50 AM »
Had dinner over at my grandpa's house Saturday night with all of the fancy fixins expected for south Arkansas cuisine (fried squirrel, fried chicken and fried deersteak).

While there eating and watching football we had about half a dozen different groups come up. They've lived in the same house for 40 years now, they've seen the change in times. That neighborhood used the hotspot for trick-or-treating and all the houses would get into it and decorate. But like tigger said, its an older neighborhood, not like suburban cul-de-sac filled with young families. These days people don't get into the decorating spirit and all of the kids are going to trunk-or-treat festivals provided by churches.
"Lord, let us feel pity for Private Jenkins, and sorrow for ourselves, and all the angel warriors that fall. Let us fear death, but let it not live within us. Protect us, O Lord, and be merciful unto us. Amen"-from FALLEN ANGELS by Walter Dean Myers

Game ID: ShtGn (Inactive), Squad: 91st BG

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 01:13:02 PM »
It's been slowly dying off here. Some of us have older kids, but a lot of the ones with younger kids just don't take their kids out, they're too busy with the B.S. TV show of the moment or whatever. We had maybe 20 kids or so last night. There might have been 2 dozen houses in the area with a jack-o-lantern or other decorations out.

I think it is the same for a lot of holidays, if there's nothing in it for them, people don't do anything.

Out of maybe 40 houses I can see from my house, maybe 3-4, no more than 6, will have any outdoor decorations for Christmas, either. Mine will be decorated, and lit up. We do that, and spend money entertaining friends and family, rather than being hung up on the material side of it.

Same with fireworks for July 4th, and New Years. There was a time when everyone shot at least some fireworks, regardless of how broke they were. No more.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 01:28:25 PM »
I think the main thing that made it seem like less were out this year is the big "Saturday or Sunday" question.