Author Topic: Bomber Killer?  (Read 1242 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Bomber Killer?
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2010, 09:02:32 PM »
I ask because it reads as if you don't have much experience in buff hunting at alt, else you would know the tactical challenge to intercept bombers like the B-17 at 30k.
Oh wait... in the last 4 tours you had killed 4 B-17s and 7 B-24s...  :D

No offense, but it almost seems as you are overestimating you experience a little bit ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2010, 09:05:36 PM »
Anybody know the climb rate of the 29??

Is this thing gonna take an hour to get to 25/30k??

I would expect so. Usually it's given as 900ft/min, but I'm sure someone will present better data.

Edit: This site is claiming 38 minutes to 20K.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 09:07:55 PM by Lusche »

Offline Imowface

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2010, 09:09:17 PM »
none taken, just trying to kill the impression that the B-29 is a mega bomber
Ла-5 Пилот снова
NASA spent 12 million dollars to develop a pen that could work in space, Russia went to space with pencils...

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2010, 09:10:09 PM »
none taken, just trying to kill the impression that the B-29 is a mega bomber

But maybe it's a correct one...

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2010, 09:14:13 PM »
Then catch it while its climbing!! LOL

I still wish for the HE-219, whether or not it can or cannot catch a B-29 is irrelevent to me.

Still seems like it would be a fun plane.

Max speed would have to be looked into apparently.

As I said earlier, what little searching I did earlier presented a pretty wide variance in max. speed capabilites.

And besides, its cool lookin and maybe they would hook it up with that schragga musik thingie tooo!!! :rock
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline Imowface

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2010, 09:14:58 PM »
I respect you on the BBS, so I will just say, I shall think and research more in the future about what I say, and also that we will find out about the B-29 when/if it gets added, and if you would care to have some willing to learn company when you go to intercept them I would be greatfull
Ла-5 Пилот снова
NASA spent 12 million dollars to develop a pen that could work in space, Russia went to space with pencils...

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2010, 09:20:28 PM »
true, but, in WW2 they were also getting shot down by mid 1943 by fighters that were developed in 1940..

Hardly.  While some early Japanese fighters may have gotten extremely lucky and shot down a B-29, to say B-29s were getting shot down by 1940 era fighters in an attempt to show how vulnerable to fighters a B-29 maybe is disingenuous at best.  The fact remains, the number of B-29s actually shot down by fighters is small and a greatly out numbered by the B-29s that were downed due to mechanical failure or AAA.  I believe it was mechanical failure as the #1 cause of B-29s being downed, AAA was #2 and losses by fighters last.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Void

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2010, 09:20:57 PM »
B-29 problems..... Solved.

In Game name: Namco

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2010, 09:24:22 PM »
Then catch it while its climbing!! LOL

Which is a very good idea. As you can bet it will be perked, "smart" players will take of from rear airbases, particular high alt ones. On some maps there will be almost virtual lanes in the air with a high probability to encounter heavy buffs. Go there in a jet and watch the map  :devil

and if you would care to have some willing to learn company when you go to intercept them I would be greatfull

If I will ever play again you would be more than welcome... but for 99% of the players that stuff is boring as hell... that's why I was usually alone up there ;)

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2010, 09:26:21 PM »
But maybe it's a correct one...

I think the only thing that may make it work in the MA's is the fact that most people won't be patient enough to climb it.

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Imowface

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2010, 09:28:53 PM »
Hardly.  While some early Japanese fighters may have gotten extremely lucky and shot down a B-29, to say B-29s were getting shot down by 1940 era fighters in an attempt to show how vulnerable to fighters a B-29 maybe is disingenuous at best.  The fact remains, the number of B-29s actually shot down by fighters is small and a greatly out numbered by the B-29s that were downed due to mechanical failure or AAA.  I believe it was mechanical failure as the #1 cause of B-29s being downed, AAA was #2 and losses by fighters last.

ack-ack

I was never attempting to show how vulnerable it was, just that its not invincible, which some people on here have made it seem, also, I don't know if this has been talked about before, but will the pressurisation of the fuselage affect how well the B-29 takes damage? I know nothing would hapen with a smaller bullet, but what would the effects of a 20 or 30mm shell have on the fuselage?
Ла-5 Пилот снова

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2010, 10:10:36 PM »

I was never attempting to show how vulnerable it was, just that its not invincible, which some people on here have made it seem, also, I don't know if this has been talked about before, but will the pressurisation of the fuselage affect how well the B-29 takes damage? I know nothing would hapen with a smaller bullet, but what would the effects of a 20 or 30mm shell have on the fuselage?

j/k

:bolt:
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2010, 10:25:23 PM »
1) The He219 was an underpowered piece of crap.  It is a great looking fighter though.

2) The pressurization on the B-29 was nothing like on an airliner, so far as I know.  It probably reduced the effective altitude inside the bomber by ~5,000 to 10,000ft.  Airliners generally maintain cabin air pressure of about 7,000ft regardless of their actual altitude.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Imowface

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2010, 12:47:21 AM »
ah, I see karnak, so it pretty much was just there so they were able to breath without O2 at alt?
Ла-5 Пилот снова

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2010, 01:37:26 AM »
2) The pressurization on the B-29 was nothing like on an airliner, so far as I know.  It probably reduced the effective altitude inside the bomber by ~5,000 to 10,000ft.  Airliners generally maintain cabin air pressure of about 7,000ft regardless of their actual altitude.

The cabin enviroment could be kept the equivalent of ~10k up to ~30k. The aircraft was unpressurized before entering combat zone in order to avoid rapid decompression when getting hit.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 01:39:48 AM by Wmaker »
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!