Author Topic: What is that substance called....  (Read 1037 times)

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
What is that substance called....
« on: November 01, 2001, 05:53:00 PM »
That you install between the heat sink and the CPU? any brand OK?
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2001, 06:06:00 PM »
Thermal Compound.

Artic something er other is the best.

You only want a small film on the area of the CPU that will contact the heat sink... don't plaster it on or it will reverse the effect and trap the heat.
-SW

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2001, 06:08:00 PM »
Ammo,

It's thermal paste. From what I have read the best is Thermal Ice, or something like that. Everything I have read says to use it very sparingly, just enough to take up the air space between the chip and the heatsink/cooler.

Mav

DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2001, 06:10:00 PM »
Last I read, Arctic Silver II was the stuff to use...that was a few months ago tho'.

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2001, 06:24:00 PM »
Arctic Silver II is ...as the l337 would say..."da bomb." It's about $6.00 for a lifetime supply. Only takes a very little bit. If you can't find any at your local store, try Newegg.com.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2001, 06:41:00 PM »
OK check this out-- Thermaltake says that the thermalpad on the bottom of the heatsink is sufficient for the interface. It says I must either have the thermal compound or the preinstalled thermal pas (i have this).

In your all knowing experience, is the thermal pad good enough?

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2001, 06:49:00 PM »
What thermal pad? I've never heard of one of those... is it just something that looks like tape that you can pull off?

The heatsink's I've used are all bare metal on the bottom...
-SW

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2001, 06:56:00 PM »
this is from the thermaltake website--directly cut anfd pasted here--

Before installing Thermaltake products, please check the interface material provided:

If the cooler came with a Thermal Pad, then please follow the instructions provided below.
If the cooler came with a , then please apply enough of it to cover the whole CPU dye (the square on the center of the CPU).

step 1 is place the HS and fan directly on the CPU, parallel. steps 2,3,4 just direct me to place the clip on the the appropriate part of the CPU Die, and finish it by using a screwdrive r to slip the other side of the clip on.

What Ya Think Swulfe? is this OK?

Offline vatiAH

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2001, 07:34:00 PM »
take a razor blade and remove the thermal pad.   Use Artic silver II or some other good heatsink compound.

Vati
Ductus Exemplo:  Lead by Example

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2001, 07:40:00 PM »
Yup, toss that damn sticky pad thingy away!!  use thermal compound

SKurj

Offline Wardog

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2001, 07:55:00 PM »
This is a breakdown of what you can use.

Thermal Glue...
Thermal Paste..
Thermal Pad....
Thermal Tape..

With the AMD chip i would prefer to use Thermal Paste as a 1st Choice, my 2nd choice would be Thermal glue.

Some heatsinks come pre done with Glue, Paste or Pad.

Mine came predone with Paste on the bottom of the heat sink, its a TT Goldin Orb fan.

If its a Pad, i would use a strait razor and remove it. Then pickup some Thermal Paste. You will know if its a pad if you touch a corner of it and you dont get white stuff on you finger, its a pad. Its paste if ya get white stuff on your finger  :)

The Thermal Pad does not transfer heat as good as the paste does.

And AMD chips run hot, Paste would be best.

Dog out......

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2001, 08:17:00 PM »
TY fellas, ran out to CompUSA and picked up some ANTEC  Silver Thermal Compound and replaced that pad with it.

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2001, 08:26:00 PM »
NEVER use a thermal pad, they work by gluing themselves to your cpu and thus may result in CPU core damage should you ever need to remove the heatsink.  Scrape the pad off with a sharp instrument and use the thermal compound that comes in a tube.  Artic Silver 2 is the best IMO and usually it's about 8 - 10 dollars for a tube.  It's important to remember that only the very thinest coating should be used.  All you want to do is remove any airgaps between the CPU core and heatsink.  I put just a TINY spot in the center of the die and then use a credit card to smooth it out.  Don't touch the die with your finger, the oils won't help cool it.  ;)

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2001, 04:18:00 AM »
I had an interesting problem with paste this week. Played with two Athlon CPUs instead of my Duron. Problem was that old Duron was mechanicaly damaged (but still works OK),and little pieces of a chip, that looked like black sand, mixed with thermal paste. It made the CPU temperature go up 30 degrees Celsuis, and I had problems when it reached 70.

Be carefull to clean old paste drom the CPU and cooler base before applying new.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2001, 07:47:00 AM »
A little lighter fluid works wonders for getting that gummy pad off. Or cleaning up old thermal paste too.

Just a squirt & a q-tip & your all set.