Author Topic: Basic ACM Training  (Read 515 times)

Offline Ron

• Copper Member
Basic ACM Training
« on: November 07, 2010, 09:26:45 AM »
Hello Trainers,

I would be very grateful, and really appreciate a little help with my ACM if anyone is around during UK evening times.

I can ground attack, bomb, and GV OK. However, I'm not great at air combat, and I think some tuition would help.

My preferred air rides are the Typhoon, Spitfire, P51, an P47M. However, my ACM is limited to ZnB, and I'd like to take it further, so plane type isn't an issue to me. I'd prefer a fighter used by the RAF/RN though.

I read the manuals, took to the air, tried the scissors, dope a rope etc., and got slaughtered. Hah..!

I like to join in with missions, and I'd like to join a good squad, and fly the wing, but I need to get my skill level higher first.

Many thanks,

Ron,
God Save the Queen..!

Offline Rodent57

• AH Training Corps
  • Nickel Member
Re: Basic ACM Training
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 12:30:00 PM »
Ron,

BFM and ACM are dynamic and complex things. 

The bad news is that there's a LOT more to it than most other games because AH II is fairly accurately modeled -- means the game isn’t trying to help you any more than the real world does. When you get a kill, it is because YOU got the kill rather than a magic bullet.

The good/bad news is that you will initially see a very steep learning curve, then things will start to seem to plateau (when you think you've got it mastered, you are probably only 15% of the way there).

The good news is that the more you work on it, the better you get.

The BEST News is that ALL of the trainers (and lots of other folks) are capable of getting you up to speed and comfortable with the fundaments of BFM.  ACM is an entirely different art...

I'll be glad to work with you, and I am NORMALLY in the training arena at 10AM Saturdays (US Eastern Time) ... however, I'm in the process of retiring and moving between now and the end of February so my time availability be very limited over the 3+ months.  I will be over in the UK from 11-20 Nov and off the net.  If you happen to be in Woodhall Spa this coming Thursday/Friday evening, let me know soon and we can share a pint and go over the basics of BFM.

I can teach at 10 times speed in person (cause I get to talk with my hands)  :-)

Last Thought:  Don’t be too worried about not wanting to link up with a squad until you are better--MOST squads understand the learning curves in the game (If they dont, you probably don’t want to be associated with them).  Attitude is the key, and you seem to have a good one.

Cheers,

-Rodent57

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
-AE

Offline Ron

• Copper Member
Re: Basic ACM Training
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 01:37:14 PM »
Many thanks Rodent57,

It would be great to take up your offer.

I'd have really liked to meet up at Woodhall Spa, but it's four hours from me, and I've got an aircraft in maintenance this week, so I have to be around Southend.

A bit of history took place there as I remember.
I met an old dambuster (Bill Howarth), and I seem to remember he said it was the place they loaded the Dam Busters with their mines, as there was an RN base there, and the Navy had responsibility to supply mines..! I may have got mixed up as it was many years ago.

I'm not too rusty with BFM, as I used to fly aeros in some light stuff like Tiger Moths, Beagle Pups, and bulldogs. Nothing like your heavy metal though..!

I promise I'll shut-up, listen, and learn…!  :salute

I make 10am US Eastern Time, as 15:00 local for me. I'll stop by the TA, and if you are around, that's a bonus.

Thanks for the advice on squads.

Once again many thanks for your offer of help. It's much appreciated.

Ron.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 04:10:44 PM by Ron »
God Save the Queen..!