Author Topic: my idea of what might happen  (Read 1463 times)

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
Re: my idea of what might happen
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2010, 02:53:28 PM »
Hundreds of thousands of bombs dropped from the bellies of the SuperFortress's.......................

2 were nukes. 

Somebody lock this thread, quick!!!!   :neener:
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2010, 03:35:18 PM »
snicker
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Threeup

• Copper Member
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2010, 04:43:48 PM »
Was not a lot of B-29 damage incendiary bombs on Tokyo?

I understood the city was systematically burnt to the ground by fire bombing in sectors to inflict the most civilian deaths and by the surrender 50% of Tokyo was burnt to the ground. Those citizens that were not dead would be homeless and a strain on resources. In effect it's better to burn somebody than vapourise them because ash doesn't need medical attention. That notwithstanding why waste billions of 1940's dollars and not have something to show at the end of it? So a couple of cities were fried to prove a point. And don't dish out that Pearl Harbour stuff  - Pearl Harbour was a military target.

But that's the truth and you can't build that into a game. Even the nuclear weapons were aimed at civilians and as there are no civilians in the game it has no relevance. In terms of gameplay it's just another bomber that flies virtually straight and drops bombs on fields. It adds nothing. It doesn't need to - it's a good, no great, game as it is - emphasis on game  - large and overriding emphasis on game.
The Mighty Raw Prawns

"It's all good fun until someone loses an eye" Rooster Cogburn

http://youtu.be/pxM8XB61ZvU

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2010, 04:58:04 PM »
Even the nuclear weapons were aimed at civilians

Did Japan have any specific military targets left?   :bolt:
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2010, 06:02:28 PM »
Nukes are stupid in real life, but in the game they'd be useless and stupid.  Added to the fact that we know we won't get them, OP is irrelevant (and wrong).
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2010, 06:08:18 PM »
If I see a b29 in a tank town I'll take a 262 and obliterate it :D
He speaks the truth, if the b29 wins the ballot, expect 262's to ruin there fun
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2010, 06:09:06 PM »
Was not a lot of B-29 damage incendiary bombs on Tokyo?

I understood the city was systematically burnt to the ground by fire bombing in sectors to inflict the most civilian deaths...

That is actually a myth, the firebombing of Tokyo was never intended to inflict the most civilian deaths or the raids to be used as "terror raids" against the civilian population.  The parts of Tokyo that were fire bombed were actually military targets as a lot of these civilian districts housed factories to make parts for weapons, ships, planes, vehicles, etc.  A lot of the Japanese industry wasn't housed in large factories like you saw in the States, but rather were spread out amongst small workshop/factories that were located within these civilian districts.  The civilians that lived in these districts would also worked in these workshop/factories.

Because of the decentralized nature of Japanese industry, it was tough to target strategic production facilities as while bombing these would destroy the end product, the small factories that made the parts were still operating.  Massive carpet bombing with regular bombs wasn't effective, so it was decided to switch to incendiary bombs as they would be far more effective as they'd burn out the neighborhood, destroying whatever small workshop/factories that were there and the added benefit of killing the skilled labor it took to operate the machinery and produce the parts needed for Japan's war machine.

ack-ack
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 06:16:02 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2010, 06:11:39 PM »
Nukes are stupid in real life, but in the game they'd be useless and stupid.  Added to the fact that we know we won't get them, OP is irrelevant (and wrong).

Naw, nukes aren't stupid at all.  Whether you want to believe it or not, nukes have kept the major powers from going to war with each other.  M.A.D. has been the best deterrence and has so far prevented another full scale world war.

ack-ack

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2010, 06:19:11 PM »
Naw, nukes aren't stupid at all.  Whether you want to believe it or not, nukes have kept the major powers from going to war with each other.  M.A.D. has been the best deterrence and has so far prevented another full scale world war.

ack-ack

I think dropping them on civilian targets is wrong, but I agree that they're not stupid (even if only due to the point you just made).
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2010, 06:28:45 PM »
I think dropping them on civilian targets is wrong, but I agree that they're not stupid (even if only due to the point you just made).

No offense to those that got atomized but it ended the war and saved millions of lives of Allied servicemen and also civilians.  So, you can say that dropping an atomic bomb actually saved more civilians than would have been killed otherwise during the invasion and battle for Japan.

ack-ack

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2010, 06:48:35 PM »
What you need is a Doomsday machine on the map and 50 hydrogen bombs jacketed with Cobalt thorium G. Once an atomic detonation is detected, the machine will detonate all bombs, therefore covering the map in a shroud of radioactivity with a half-life of 93 years.
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Threeup

• Copper Member
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2010, 07:00:43 PM »
You're about as right as you can get Ack-Ack. Once everyone realised that "One flash You're ash" was the theme tune for the next world war all crew decided to keep the conflict to puppet countries, spy planes and playing "chicken" with subs.

Closest stupidity ever came to town was Cuba and that ended pretty lamely.

Nukes aren't stupid and neither are guns, tanks or sharp scissors. Only the idiots at the controls can be. Anyway how long does it take to get a B-29 up to 30K feet? (assuming that is the introduced plane) - turn the gamma down, smash the field and make another cup of coffee for the ride home.

It's not exactly excitement with a big E is it? Wouldn't a twin engined heavy fighter/light bomber be more appropriate to our game? But majority and "squeaky wheels" will always be at the front of the line. Time will tell.
The Mighty Raw Prawns

"It's all good fun until someone loses an eye" Rooster Cogburn

http://youtu.be/pxM8XB61ZvU

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2010, 07:39:08 PM »

ack-ack

100% true.

What you need is a Doomsday machine on the map and 50 hydrogen bombs jacketed with Cobalt thorium G. Once an atomic detonation is detected, the machine will detonate all bombs, therefore covering the map in a shroud of radioactivity with a half-life of 93 years.

"Gee I wish we had one of those Doomsday machines!"

- General Buck Turgenson
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2010, 07:53:59 PM »
There will never be a nuke....... but at one time I thought it was said, "there would never be a B-29".

I think the B-29 would be the worst addition to AH for obvious reasons.
Nobody at HTC ever said no to the B-29.  Some players claimed they did and that took off in the playerbase's mind, but it is false.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2010, 08:08:04 PM »

"Gee I wish we had one of those Doomsday machines!"

- General Buck Turgenson

Of course, the whole point of a Doomsday Machine is lost, if you *keep* it a *secret*! Why didn't you tell the world, EH?

It was to be announced at the Party Congress on Monday. As you know, the Premier loves surprises.
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women