Author Topic: Router help  (Read 581 times)

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
Router help
« on: November 09, 2010, 05:31:50 AM »
We bought a new router about a year ago and every since day 2 it's been in the box due to a weird issue.  I'm trying it again since I plan to take the current working G one somewhere else and was hoping maybe someone can explain why the problem happens or a fix.

It's a Linksys WRT160Nv2 (802.11n) and it works perfectly through wireless, but the ethernet not so much (go figure I'd be the only one using ethernet).  The ethernet almost acts like it's going to sleep on occasion.  I'll be browsing and randomly it stops working and I have to go to the router page (192.168.1.1) to get connection again, it also requires that to get it working after computer start-up.  I was wondering if there is some hidden setting that may be causing this, or if the router is just fudged up?
I have gone through the Router page several times looking with no success.

Thanks for any help. :)
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
Re: Router help
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 08:19:15 AM »
Sounds like something has gone bad with the router's Ethernet hardware or firmware. Does it get hot with use?

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 08:28:39 AM »
the middle of the router stays a little warm constantly, but no more so than our G-router.  But since I have no idea how warm it should run I don't know if it's "too hot".  It runs in an ambient room temp of about 35-72F (it's not in a controlled temp environment) if that makes any difference.

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 03:05:53 PM »
I suggest doing a factory reset.  There should be a very small hole in the rear that says reset.  Since there is nothing wrong with the wireless connect, maybe try a different port when plugging in.  After the reset reserve the assigned IP address from the router for your system within the router software.

Hope this helped

TD

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 03:47:10 PM »
Sounds like something is going awry with the DHCP refresh.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 06:09:53 PM »
Sounds like something is going awry with the DHCP refresh.
That's why I mentioned reserving the IP assigned.  Agree?

TD

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 06:53:46 PM »
I suggest doing a factory reset.  There should be a very small hole in the rear that says reset.  Since there is nothing wrong with the wireless connect, maybe try a different port when plugging in.  After the reset reserve the assigned IP address from the router for your system within the router software.

Hope this helped

TD

I did the Factory reset again (think I did one before putting back in the box so long ago but my memory is bad).  Plugged into Port 3 instead of 1.
As for reserve, it may sound stupid, but from within the router software how is that done?  I know how to keep a static IP from within Windows but I've never had to do it from within the Router.  Do you just open the DHCP reservation page and select my client from the Reservation list and hit "Add client" to add it to the Clients Already reserved list?

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 07:24:28 PM »
I think what you want to do is visit the basic setup page for you router where you should find the DHCP reservation area. I have my reserved IP range beginning at 50 (wireless is 50-99) and the ethernet lines are all static between 2 and 49. The static DNS information should agree with what your DNS server is (provided by OpenDNS if you use that). Hopefully you arent using wireless for AH.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 08:44:21 PM »
I think what you want to do is visit the basic setup page for you router where you should find the DHCP reservation area. I have my reserved IP range beginning at 50 (wireless is 50-99) and the ethernet lines are all static between 2 and 49. The static DNS information should agree with what your DNS server is (provided by OpenDNS if you use that). Hopefully you arent using wireless for AH.

Well this is my Basic Page:

hard to read but it's the best I can do in 1 picture.

For AH I don't use this internet as it is a satellite connection (3 years of AH on it was enough) and I use my phone.  It's not perfect but a really weak 3G signal through USB works better than satellite ever did. :)
I haven't used wireless connection for anything in a few years (lat home anyways) as it always seemed to be a pain.  Now though Ethernet wants to be a pain which is annoying since it cuts off my connection in the middle of important pages.

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 09:18:30 PM »
I had the exact same problem and it just went away after tweaking my security settings to match each signal so they were received by their corresponding... Well, receivers.
Landing is overrated.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I: I took the one less traveled by." - Robert Frost
"Uncommon valor was a common virtue." <S>

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 07:32:30 AM »
I can not tell you where on a LinkSys router but on a D-Link it is located on the SETUP page then choosing the NETWORK tab.  Example below.

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 07:58:06 AM »
Why not just take DHCP completely out of the picture for this PC?  Figure out what DNS settings you're using, and use the first free static IP starting at 192.168.1.150.

And what Chalenge said about the Static DNS entries -- you should have two entries (primary and backup).  They are often provided by your ISP.

mir
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 06:44:15 AM »
Well I have the DHCP Reserved (I hope) and static IP and Ethernet port 3.  Something seems to have worked for the most part, but I'll give it some time before saying it's fully fixed.

Thanks for the help guys. :salute