Author Topic: SBLIVE and CUV4X/Via Chipset  (Read 831 times)

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
SBLIVE and CUV4X/Via Chipset
« on: January 25, 2001, 09:35:00 AM »
After 5 months of trying everything you can think of to get this card installed on my system, I'm ready to throw in the towel. (in between slugging matches with this card I've been using my old Monster M-80, which installs and uninstalls over and over with no probs)

Also, I think this sblive card is somehow causing my Isuzu van to stall out at red lights, so unless anybody has any ideas, its history.  

Gunthr
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2001, 09:40:00 AM »
Have you tried changing the PCI slot for the SB ?

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2001, 10:21:00 AM »
Hi Straffo,
Yes I tried every PCI slot. I also took out all other cards except the video card when installing, tried it in safe mode, normal mode, PnP on, PnP off, made sure onboard sound was disabled, regedit to remove all vestiges of previous attempts to install, then trying again, latest creative sblive drivers, latest mobo bios rev, etc, etc... I tried everything but formatting the HD. I don't want to do that just for a sound card, so... I guess I'm looking for a new sound card. Thx...   Gunthr
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2001, 01:05:00 PM »
Couple of ideas:

Have you tried the latest VIA 4-in-1 drivers?

Also, have you tried disabling some onboard devices to free up resources and then forcing the card to that?  For example, disable Com2 onboard serial if you don't use it, and then force PCI slot 2 to IRQ 3.  Now put the card in slot 2.

I found the problem with the Live's to be in the legacy support.  I had tons of trouble until I ran "msconfig" and basically stopped loading autoexec.bat and config.sys at all to stop all the backwards compatibility crap from running.

------------------
Lephturn - Chief Trainer
A member of The Flying Pigs  http://www.flyingpigs.com

"A pig is a jolly companion, Boar, sow, barrow, or gilt --
A pig is a pal, who'll boost your morale, Though mountains may topple and tilt.
When they've blackballed, bamboozled, and burned you, When they've turned on you, Tory and Whig,
Though you may be thrown over by Tabby and Rover, You'll never go wrong with a pig, a pig,
You'll never go wrong with a pig!" -- Thomas Pynchon, "Gravity's Rainbow"

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2001, 03:02:00 PM »
Hi Leph,

Yep, I do have the new Via 4 in 1's on board and I disabled Com 2 some time ago. I also took out my old 56k modem that I don't need, but I never tried to force PCI slot 2 to IRQ 3. I'll give it a go over the weekend. The only cards in there now are the AGP video, network card for ADSL, and the sound card.

What exactly did you do to the Autoexec.bat and config.sys? I know how to get into msconfig, but then do I disable Autoexec.bat and config.sys to keep it from loading??? Please explain.... thanks
  Gunthr

Offline AcId

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2001, 08:18:00 AM »
well....here's one more. I don't know if this is possible with yer m0b0's bios but some will allow you to lock an IRQ # with a PCI slot to prevent sharing (which is part of SBLive's problem, it doesnt like to share.) .

Just something to look into, I can do that on my Asus CUSL2.

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2001, 01:00:00 PM »
Yep, that is part of the issue Acid.

The bottom line is that Win98 does not require autoexec.bat and config.sys in order to operate.  Those files are only present to facilitate backwards compatibility in various applications that were not designed for Windows 95/98.  I think the first tab in msconfig allows you to choose what files to process on startup, and has check boxes for both autoexe.bat and config.sys.  Typically, there are DOS mode drivers and path statement additions included in these files, but they will only come into play if you run something that wants DOS mode.  Since they are not required, try un-checking them in msconfig and then restart your computer.  Try out all of your software and such and see if everything is working properly.  If it works fine, leave it like that, if something bails, then you may have to get in and edit those files selectively instead, which you can also do from msconfig.

Now, about slots.  You need to do two things:  First, dig out your mainboard manual and get the information on PCI slots and what the limitations are.  Second, counting from the top down tell me what cards you have installed in each slot.  Post this info here and we'll be able to help.  Also, check how that mainboard company numbers the slots, although most do it from the "top", the AGP slot, down.

I used PCI slot 2 in my example because it is generally one of the ones that does not share with any other system device by default.  What I mean is, most times Slot 1 will automatically share an IRQ with the AGP slot (bad idea), Slot three with the USB bus, Slot four and five share with each other.  Just for example.  Your mainboard manual should give all those details.

Also poke around in your BIOS in the section that may be labelled "integrated peripherals" and be sure to disable anything you do not use.  IE:, disable USB if you don't have any USB devices, disable the printer port if you don't have a local printer.. etc.  This will free up some IRQ's to work with.

Report back here with the details, and we'll thrash it out and try to help.  

------------------
Lephturn - Chief Trainer
A member of The Flying Pigs  http://www.flyingpigs.com

"A pig is a jolly companion, Boar, sow, barrow, or gilt --
A pig is a pal, who'll boost your morale, Though mountains may topple and tilt.
When they've blackballed, bamboozled, and burned you, When they've turned on you, Tory and Whig,
Though you may be thrown over by Tabby and Rover, You'll never go wrong with a pig, a pig,
You'll never go wrong with a pig!" -- Thomas Pynchon, "Gravity's Rainbow"

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2001, 02:21:00 PM »
Thats a real eyeopener about the autoexec.bat and config.sys. Thanks... will get back soon...

Gunthr

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2001, 08:40:00 AM »
The mobo had five PCI slots, numbered 1 (next to the AGP) down through 5, then the ISA slot.

In the bios, I find the following screen:

PCI CONFIGURATION

Slot 1/5 IRQ    [AUTO]
Slot 2   IRQ    [AUTO]
Slot 3   IRQ    [AUTO]
Slot 4   IRQ    [AUTO]

I put the sblive in Slot 2 and set Slot 2 IRQ to [3], left the others on AUTO. The sblive wouldn't install. I checked and found that something was sharing the IRQ with the sblive, but I noticed that IRQ 5 was "free".

So then I assigned the sblive in Slot 2 to IRQ 5. The Liveware 3 wouldn't install entirely - although much of it did. The sblive had a yellow exlclamation point in Devices. I checked the resource usage, and the sblive was on IRQ 5, but it was sharing it with some controller!

There is also a screen in the bios as follows:

ONBOARD LEGACY SUPPORT [DISABLED]
(I left it disabled)

I've been playing musical IRQ's, but haven't been successful yet in getting the sblive alone on it's own IRQ yet. I also havn't yet tried setting autoexec.bat or config.sys so it won't load. (At least I know now how to manipulate the IRQs, and I'm learning more as I get into this)

I know the Liveware 3 driver has an unInstall routine that is supposed to remove all previous sblive drivers in order to install properly. Once or twice I got the message that the UnInstaller failed to initialize, so that may be a factor too.

I got tired of playing with this thing. I popped the Monster sound card back in for awhile until I recoup. I'll try again soon.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys  

Gunthr

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2001, 08:48:00 AM »
As an aside, any know of a decent relatively low priced sound card that doesn't have these SB Live nasty characteristics?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2001, 12:52:00 PM »
My Monster M-80 actually isn't bad, except instead of "Surround Sound" it will only put out "Stereo x2" on my 4 sats. I've been starting to eyeball the Phillips Acoustic Edge card (about $75 I think) just in case I'm unsuccessful with my sbJive card  

Gunthr

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2001, 07:02:00 AM »
Well when all you guys were buying SB live cards I picked up the SB PCI 128. Seems to have none of the Live sharing problems. Been very good, very stable. Only concern is that I did have to patch the drivers before RW would work correctly.

Offline AcId

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2001, 04:45:00 PM »
I personally am enjoying my "Xitel Storm Platinum" its a Vortex2 chipset that supports A3D and the Creative Labs EAX format. Best of both worlds IMHO.

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2001, 07:19:00 AM »
same mobo same sound card same problem......

should have done a search before I spent 3 hrs messin with the thing......

gunthr you ever get it to work or did you chunk the sblive for a different scard ......... id so which one and were there any more problems?

Offline blackfalcon4

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2001, 07:31:00 AM »
YOYO

Dont know what bios your using but heres a small guide that i use for setups:

Make sure the card isnt sharing any slots with other devices.
 In PnP Config set resources to manual and then change IRQ 5 to legacy not pci.
 Leave all other assigned IRQ's alone.
 Now when you install drivers and sw for card "DON'T" install DOS drivers. You don't need em.
 After this in device manager irq resources you should see that sb16 emulation is assigned to irq5, and sb live will pickup other irq, which one doesnt really matter.

Hope it helps.........