Author Topic: NOT FUN ANY MORE!!!  (Read 21382 times)

Offline qbert55ca

• Zinc Member
NOT FUN ANY MORE!!!
« on: November 19, 2010, 09:31:41 PM »
I've been playing this game for about a year now and it has become a big part of my daily routine. For me, and as evidenced by the declining numbers may other players found the changes made to the game strategy brought out by the update in the town graphics and subsequent degree of difficulty in taking a base, I found the game to be frustrating instead of fun. The failure of the WW1 forums should have been enough evidence that to a good portion of the game is base capture and the winning of maps is as important if not more than what your overall rank is. With this latest change I can just see this a a typical scenario...  

(You come in and start playing a 1PM only to have the game change a 3PM just as you were about to get a base you had been working on for the last 2 hours, only to be told sorry gents we got to switch to the night arena you'll have to finish tomorrow, and don't forget to be there at 4am or the base you had sweatted your butt off to get will be back up.)

It's already bad enough that Titanic Tuesdays mean nothing more than score hoarding because taking a base means nothing.

AH, I'm pissed and I hate to say this but unless the games changes make the game fun to play then there is no point in playing the game.

Robert

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
Re: NOT FUN ANY MORE!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 09:34:59 PM »
Wait!!!

Popcorn - Check
Beer - Check
Comfy Chair - Check

Ok, begin.

(Hope you have your flameproof underwear on qbert)

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 09:37:38 PM »
For me, and as evidenced by the declining numbers may other players found the changes made to the game strategy brought out by the update in the town graphics and subsequent degree of difficulty in taking a base, I found the game to be frustrating instead of fun

I have tracked & recorded the actual numbers over the past years. The new towns had only a measurable impact on the (already minor) EW population.
The decline in numbers in the LW (which accounts for about 90% of the action) has been gradually and started long (about 2-3 years!) before there towns had been upgraded

There are many more reasons to it than one or two gameplay / design decisions.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 09:39:37 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 09:43:41 PM »
Wish I had a <Face Palm> image handy.

What you are saying in essence is make the game easier, in particular base taking, or you are gonna take your ball and go home?

Might I suggest trying some other aspects of the game?  Might want to challenge yourself is something like....say....Air Combat?  There can be some real immediate satisfaction from winning a good dogfight.

If that's not your kinda thing, maybe hop in a GV and try some tank to tank combat?  Again the satisfaction might come from defeating another individual player or six in an armor battle.

If that doesn't work, you might imagine yourself a wartime bomber pilot.  Load up your bomber of choice and go deep to see how accurate you can drop your bombs.  Pretend you are going to Berlin in your 17s.  You could fight off enemy fighters enroute, put your bombs in the 'pickle barrel" and fight your way home, landing your damaged bomber knowing you've fought the good fight and your crew has lived to fight another day.

Might want to consider becoming Captain Qbert USN if it so fits.  Bombard shore targets, get the ack up to fight off an incoming raid on your ships and maybe even engage in a surface battle against another fleet.  Just think.  Maybe you can 'cross the T' and wipe out the other guys ships.

Oh the possibilities! :)

That or take your ball and go home.  It is just a game after all
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 09:51:30 PM »
Although I miss defending against the ever present NOES. (RIP)

The P-51 alt monkey hit and run types have pretty much killed this game for me.

One foot out the door. :bolt:
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 09:56:03 PM by 1Boner »
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 09:56:49 PM »
Lighten up francis  :neener:
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 10:07:06 PM »
And it is his first topic on the BBS.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 10:10:48 PM »
Take it easy Qbert , always liked your enthusiam. :aok
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 10:11:59 PM »
Where is AKAK with his "realistic" troll when you need it? :noid
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 10:16:32 PM »
because taking a base means nothing.

My friends tell me that many of the men-in-tights MMPGs that are so popular do not involve people fighting people, but rather place all of the real people on one side, cooperating with each other to fight the AI. 

I think this explains much about the perspectives of the newer people in our player base.

- oldman

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 10:20:34 PM »
I've been playing this game for about a year now and it has become a big part of my daily routine. For me, and as evidenced by the declining numbers may other players found the changes made to the game strategy brought out by the update in the town graphics and subsequent degree of difficulty in taking a base, I found the game to be frustrating instead of fun. The failure of the WW1 forums should have been enough evidence that to a good portion of the game is base capture and the winning of maps is as important if not more than what your overall rank is. With this latest change I can just see this a a typical scenario...  

(You come in and start playing a 1PM only to have the game change a 3PM just as you were about to get a base you had been working on for the last 2 hours, only to be told sorry gents we got to switch to the night arena you'll have to finish tomorrow, and don't forget to be there at 4am or the base you had sweatted your butt off to get will be back up.)

It's already bad enough that Titanic Tuesdays mean nothing more than score hoarding because taking a base means nothing.

AH, I'm pissed and I hate to say this but unless the games changes make the game fun to play then there is no point in playing the game.

Robert

qbert?  Is that you?  After all this time, I thought that I'd never see you again!  However, is this behaviour befitting of a gentleman of Duxford Wing?  I don't think so.  Sir, you have no idea the frustration I've felt in this game, but do you see me break down and whine?  No, I find a way around it, just like any upstanding pilot ought to. 

Thus I pose you the question, are you a gentleman or a whiner?

-Penguin

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 10:21:14 PM »
You got the aceshigh burn out big dawg.  :aok
Charlie don't surf!

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 10:32:01 PM »
Although I miss defending against the ever present NOES. (RIP)

The P-51 alt monkey hit and run types have pretty much killed this game for me.

One foot out the door. :bolt:
What...you can't get a K4 and catch em or climb up there with them? :rolleyes:
Charlie don't surf!

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 10:36:22 PM »

Robert

Basically, you want the game dumbed down to make it easier for you.  JOACH1M posting under a shade account?

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 10:39:06 PM »
And it is his first topic on the BBS.

For a first one, it's a whopper.  Though, I've always recommended getting some posts under your belt before posting a flame inducing whine thread.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song