Author Topic: NOT FUN ANY MORE!!!  (Read 21752 times)

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
Re: NOT FUN ANY MORE!!!
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2010, 01:47:26 AM »
For a first one, it's a whopper.  Though, I've always recommended getting some posts under your belt before posting a flame inducing whine thread.

ack-ack

Got any pointers? 
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2010, 01:51:48 AM »

Got any pointers? 
Avoid all hooks. Walk in expecting to smell bait.
But bite some times just to counter the troll.  :aok :noid
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline DMGOD

• Silver Member
      • DRUNKEN MONKEYS
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2010, 01:53:11 AM »
I agree with qbert. Game is awesome game play sucks. Game is supposed to be about combat not farming. Want to farm go play farmville. All you clowns do anymore is come in at 20k in spixteens and Lgays and then,when u lose your alt and e u run to your nearest base and hide in the ack, or u up 190s or a mossi's and see how many people u can ho b4 u die or u up bombers and shut down bases where a almost good fight is going on with no intent of taking the base. Yet all of you are so quick to point fingers at others and judge everybody from your high horses about how lame each other are and how much bigger and better you are then them (funny how everybody that plays Aces High is 6' 5" tall and 300+ pounds of pure muscle). LOL get over yourselves you spend the majority of your time playing a fricking video game I assure you none of you almighty gamers are better then anybody including myself.

enjoy flaming me on spelling grammar and whatever
Because every pretty girl deserves to go to a ball.  http://thedrunkenmonkeys.webs.com

This is the smartest saying ever, period. nothing beats it if you really look deep into he meaning. your a g*&da^*genius dmgod  :aok

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2010, 01:54:45 AM »
Avoid all hooks. Walk in expecting to smell bait.
But bite some times just to counter the troll.  :aok :noid

:rofl
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2010, 01:59:13 AM »
(funny how everybody that plays Aces High is 6' 5" tall (...)).

Not me, I'm actually taller than that  :D
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2010, 02:03:02 AM »
Not me, I'm actually taller than that  :D
You been sneaking in Silat's high heel closet again?
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2010, 04:06:22 AM »

Got any pointers?  

This example would be a good place to start.

ack-ack
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 04:36:39 AM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2010, 04:10:36 AM »
It's funny, but I was actually contemplating this the other day when searching for a fight that wasn't us vulching a base, or our base being vulched.

It occurred to me that this is really the only game I've ever played that truly doesn't have an underlying "goal."  I mean, sure, the "goal" is to win the war, but the community has bashed that concept into the ground so hard that you are seemingly a bad, bad person if you try to win the war.  I understand that the game is about combat, but isn't combat based around the idea of making forward progress towards a goal?  I mean, why fight if there is nothing to fight for?

Some of the most fun I've ever had in this game is in large base-rolling missions (as dweeby as it may be) with a group a guys that you build comradery with.  It starts a little awkward and almost too serious, but as it goes on people start laughing and ultimately having a great time, and new relationships build from it.  I remember back when I was new and used to play a lot, I would have people on country flying near me spontaneously say, "Hey!  Sector!  What's up man?" all because of a previous mission and the fun we had.  It really did help make the game dynamic and fun.

I do agree that the current gameplay style has gotten stale and outdated.  It no longer really offers an incentive to fight for a particular target or hit the strats because you are apparently the "fun police" if you do so.

I have a couple of ideas that I'm curious to see comments on (not necessarily a package deal, just a general offering of ideas):

1) Base taking:  I wonder if perhaps the age old "path of least resistance" in AH could be fixed by designing the bases on each country to only be taken in a certain order (could have several different paths per side).  Now I know this removes some of the sandbox elements, but if you think about it, you'd kill several birds with one stone.
-People would be forced to fight if they wanted to take a base, since the enemy knows which bases could come next.
-Would create an environment where teamwork would be crucial to the success of the team as a whole.  If there is an uncoordinated attack on a base, the defense will probably prevail.
-Would hugely emphasize the use of tactics to limit the enemy's ability to defend or attack effectively (just because you can't take a base, doesn't mean you can't attack it!).  Destroy supplies at nearby bases to limit the base's "regenerative abilities," knock out ord to keep them from counter-attacking, etc.

2) Base point value:  Different bases are worth different values.  This would work similar to ENY; if a country is getting the snot pounded out of them and have fewer bases than the other teams, then their bases are worth less points.  There would then be a base point value that the country would have to achieve in order to win the war.  This will keep that one poor country from getting pummeled while the other two ignore each other.  The point value could also have to do with base size and location in some way as well.

3) Remove the ability to take down hangers completely.  I think the fact that you can remove a base's ability to defend it's self completely is a bit lame, and detrimental to game play.  Perhaps instead of fighter hangers removing the ability to use fighters, how bout destroyed hangers raise the ENY of available fighters at that particular base.  So say you bomb down one hanger, ENY for fighters at that base goes up to 10, 2; 15, all 3; 20, etc.  Lets make those people fight HARD to take that base, this will make base takes much more meaningful.

I'm exhausted, so I'm going to wrap this up.  But yeah, my $0.02.
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2010, 04:13:59 AM »
You weren't taking a base when the switch happened, you were by your field in a GV. Your whining about stuff that hasn't even happened yet. Next time wait for the stuff your afraid will happen to actually happen before you start on some big rant.

This   :aok
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2010, 07:35:46 AM »
I've been playing this game for about a year now and it has become a big part of my daily routine. For me, and as evidenced by the declining numbers may other players found the changes made to the game strategy brought out by the update in the town graphics and subsequent degree of difficulty in taking a base, I found the game to be frustrating instead of fun. The failure of the WW1 forums should have been enough evidence that to a good portion of the game is base capture and the winning of maps is as important if not more than what your overall rank is. With this latest change I can just see this a a typical scenario...  

(You come in and start playing a 1PM only to have the game change a 3PM just as you were about to get a base you had been working on for the last 2 hours, only to be told sorry gents we got to switch to the night arena you'll have to finish tomorrow, and don't forget to be there at 4am or the base you had sweatted your butt off to get will be back up.)

It's already bad enough that Titanic Tuesdays mean nothing more than score hoarding because taking a base means nothing.

AH, I'm pissed and I hate to say this but unless the games changes make the game fun to play then there is no point in playing the game.

Robert

Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2010, 07:44:52 AM »
Although I miss defending against the ever present NOES. (RIP)

The P-51 alt monkey hit and run types have pretty much killed this game for me.

One foot out the door. :bolt:

i know somwone';s gonna jum on me for trhis.......try the AvA dood.

you might not be able to fly your ride of choice, but the set is constantly rotating, as are the maps. fighting is the name of the day. there's a lot of good sticks in there

the only drawback to that arena, is that it's a bit quirky as to when you'll find decent numbers in there.

so far i've had the best luck at aroun 8-9 eastern, till about 11 eastern........
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2010, 07:53:31 AM »
Basically, you want the game dumbed down to make it easier for you. 

Way to miss the point sailing twenty feet over your head.

He never said he wanted "the game" to be easier for HIM. Everybody else plays by the same rules. Everybody would be equally affected. And he's not talking about the flight model, or making his bullets act like heat-seaking howitzer rounds, or any other aspect of the game related to the simulation of air combat.

I think all fans would agree that baseball would not be a better game if the outfield fence was 800 feet from home plate. Football would not be a better game if it took 30 yards to get a first down rather than ten. Basketball wouldn't be a better game if the rim was 30 feet off the ground (though some might consider 12 feet an improvement...) Complaining about the rules if any of those changes was instituted wouldn't be about "dumbing down" the game or making it easier for any particular player.

The point is that in any game there is a proper balance between offense and defense that leads to the best gameplay. The OP was saying that balance is out of whack in AH, it has only been made worse by recent changes, and a lot of players are unhappy and may leave as a result - not because it's "too hard" for him to get kills or compete with other players but because gameplay is suffering due to the inability for anyone to achieve any strategic results.

Whether you agree or disagree, deliberately misunderstanding the OP's argument and arguing like a 2-year-old in response isn't helpful.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2010, 07:55:54 AM »

Enjoy flaming me on spelling, grammar, or whatever.

FIXED  :devil

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2010, 08:45:42 AM »

I1) Base taking:  I wonder if perhaps the age old "path of least resistance" in AH could be fixed by designing the bases on each country to only be taken in a certain order (could have several different paths per side).  Now I know this removes some of the sandbox elements, but if you think about it, you'd kill several birds with one stone.
-People would be forced to fight if they wanted to take a base, since the enemy knows which bases could come next.
-Would create an environment where teamwork would be crucial to the success of the team as a whole.  If there is an uncoordinated attack on a base, the defense will probably prevail.
-Would hugely emphasize the use of tactics to limit the enemy's ability to defend or attack effectively (just because you can't take a base, doesn't mean you can't attack it!).  Destroy supplies at nearby bases to limit the base's "regenerative abilities," knock out ord to keep them from counter-attacking, etc.

It has been tried.

The whine here was, how can you sneek a base if you know the order in which the bases must be taken?

After all, we don't want to have to fight anyone, do we?

Look what happened when the dar circles were enlarged. 
"...But they'll know where we are...."

wrongway

71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2010, 09:04:35 AM »
2) Base point value:  Different bases are worth different values.  This would work similar to ENY; if a country is getting the snot pounded out of them and have fewer bases than the other teams, then their bases are worth less points.  There would then be a base point value that the country would have to achieve in order to win the war.  This will keep that one poor country from getting pummeled while the other two ignore each other.  The point value could also have to do with base size and location in some way as well. 

I'm neither for or against this - I just don't think it will have an appreciable positive impact.  Folks are going to vulch the underdogs all night regardless.

3) Remove the ability to take down hangers completely.  I think the fact that you can remove a base's ability to defend it's self completely is a bit lame, and detrimental to game play.  Perhaps instead of fighter hangers removing the ability to use fighters, how bout destroyed hangers raise the ENY of available fighters at that particular base.  So say you bomb down one hanger, ENY for fighters at that base goes up to 10, 2; 15, all 3; 20, etc.  Lets make those people fight HARD to take that base, this will make base takes much more meaningful.

Good thinking outside the box - bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad idea. Once they first hanger went down, you'd instantly be limited in terms of your defensive ability, instead of the 3 strikes your out we have now.  And as a result, what would happen is that guys would drop two or 3 hangers, keep all the fighter hangers down, and then vulch the snot out of the 109F/E's, A6M2's and Spit I's that the opponent's would launch for the rest of the night.  Repeat as the fighter hangers pop.

<S>
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue