Author Topic: Now that it's over  (Read 3362 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Now that it's over
« on: November 19, 2010, 11:23:50 PM »
I held my tongue until it's over... but whoever set 4mph crosswinds at ground level these last frames ought to be smacked upside the head with a crowbar.

Stupid beyond belief. It does NOT work properly in AH. Ah wheels and their interactions with the ground are simplistic at best (as evidenced by the way you turn around your center point and not the friction points on the ground) and it doesn't take into account the fact that you're being HELD in place by the friction of the runway... It just slams you sideways. It's made me do donuts and smack wings on takeoff and landings (yes, full flaps, reduced RPM, reduced throttle, wary eye on the rudder slip indicator) and really has been a bad idea in any FSO or scenario since day one. 71 Sqn has many pilots with a long-standing love for and skill for flying the corsair, and even some of the best in our group repeatedly destroyed their airframes on the ground because of wind-induced ground loops.

For all future FSO sakes, please STOP entertaining this bad idea.

Also the short 1k icons are a step in the wrong direction that FSO has been taking way too often lately. By the time you see anything it's 800 and closing. I enjoy 20/20 vision in real life, so why do I have to fly like I'm legally blind because I play on a 1280x1024 single monitor setup?

Call the second part a rant if you will, but wind at ground level is now and has always been a bad idea in FSOs. In the past CMs took note of this and removed wind below 2k accordingly.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
Re: Now that it's over
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 12:00:32 AM »
  Icons were 1k tonight?

~AoM~

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 12:18:22 AM »
The design for the icons in this setup were set as 3k enemy and 3k friendly. There might have been an issue with implementation. I just didnt notice in the heat of the action.

As far as the wind goes I didnt see a big problem with a little 5 mph wind. I made @6 CV landings and @6 takeoffs in the 3 frames and had no problems with it. Im sorry if it caused problems but this is the first I have heard about it either on the BBS or anywhere else. I did notice it on roll it just didnt seem to meto be that big of an issue.

You know of course the F4U is notorious for ground looping? im sure you are aware of that. Not saying the wind might not have played a part I cant tell for sure.

Its also not a cross wind if you roll it as a tail wind or headwind. The wind was in the writeup and the objectives.

Finally, if it was considered by some to be such a huge issue, anybody could have raised it with me before frame 1 and I would have been happy to have a look at it but nobody did. Not untill half way through frame 3.

Regards.

Addendum: Checked the online arena. Wind is set to 5 mph at 315 alt 0-2000 ft like it should be so there is no issue with it being more than 5 mph. I rolled a heavy and light F4U offline with that setting and found no great problem with it. Takeoffs and landings cross wind and head wind. I wont say that the wind had no effect on some ground loops during the frame... im sure it contributed to a few bit I did not see a concern at the level that you have raised here.

Plissken has stated the icons were fixed within minutes of roll. It was an oversight.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 01:10:46 AM by Squire »
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline snakeplissken

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 01:15:05 AM »
The friendly icons were set at 1k for about 30 seconds.  As soon as I got the reminder they were set to 3K.  The same as enemy icons.  Maybe it's just that I live in Oklahoma but a 5 mph wind is a mind day here.  I notice our AWAC's fly without difficulty.
The Unforgiven motto: Quid posset ire iniuriam

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 01:53:50 AM »
The friendly icons were set at 1k for about 30 seconds.  As soon as I got the reminder they were set to 3K.  The same as enemy icons.  Maybe it's just that I live in Oklahoma but a 5 mph wind is a mind day here.  I notice our AWAC's fly without difficulty.

Up here in Kansas, we don't even notice a 5 mph wind let alone a 10 mph.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline jededii

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 06:34:22 AM »

No Problems here either on t/o or landing in all 3 frames.  :salute
Jededii=1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm

Offline daddog

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 07:24:13 AM »
 :huh It was 5 mph. You noticed that? I never even noticed the wind. Never heard any squadie mention it.

In the past I have had wind gusts at 30mph + at different levels in different directions just so players 'would' notice them.

The icon issue was corrected within 5 minutes after take off from what I understand.
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 05:40:28 PM »
Well I had a MAJOR problem with take off on frame 3 but it had nothing to do with wind LOL, apparently when HTC changed some stuff they wiped my control settings and the game was not recognizing my CH setup so I had no joystick, by the time I got it reset it was too late to participate in the frame, but to the guys that scored the thing from the logs that is what happened with me (sorry).
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline potsNpans

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 07:22:55 PM »
Hell, I wish it blew harder. I could of went and flew a kite, in stead of being a nail to the Allies hammer.

Offline Jaxxon

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 11:59:17 PM »
Hell, I wish it blew harder. I could of went and flew a kite, in stead of being a nail to the Allies hammer.

Amen bro, amen
"I had found the one thing I loved above all others, to me it wasn't a bussiness or a profession, but a wonderful game".
WA Bishop

Offline Viper61

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 12:42:27 AM »
Same here, I'm glad its over as well.  The IJN got "Hammered" 3 out of 3.

Offline Mato

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 04:11:22 AM »
IJN won frame 3

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 01:36:33 PM »
I don't know who claims they got smacked in frame 3 but they royally kicked our butts by knocking out two complete CV groups and countless aircraft.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 01:48:43 PM »
IJN BARELY won frame 3

Fixed  ;)

Axis: 2417
Allied: 2394

Back on topic...
Just for gameplay, I'm all for no wind below 1-2k...anything you want after that is fine with me and adds to the challenge.  For a couple of weeks in the AvA we had 20-40mph winds at varying alts on the Okinawa map and it made for a good challenge as your plane got knocked around a bit.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 01:52:22 PM by ImADot »
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 08:52:46 PM »
You guys should have checked the wind sock  :neener:

Here is a successful crosswind landing I made earlier today, in an aircraft far lighter than a Corsair, and with gusts ranging from 10 - 15 mph. Krusty, it's important to apply rudder and yaw into the wind. Keep practicing in offline mode.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 09:06:31 PM by B4Buster »
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B