Author Topic: Mosquito Mk XVI of 60 squadron SAAF  (Read 7766 times)

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
Mosquito Mk XVI of 60 squadron SAAF
« on: November 25, 2010, 06:01:15 AM »
Rather than bore you with the same RAF scheme, here is the 2nd scheme with all the suggestions of the previous topic incorporated

as usual any input welcomed
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
Re: Mosquito Mk XVI of 60 squadron SAAF
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 08:06:03 AM »
I like it!!
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Online lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 12:50:47 PM »
I like it except for the spinners they seem to be egg shell gold for the lack of a better term. They need to be more of a deeper yellow or Gold.

Also the red seems to be not the quite the right shade of red? It looks to be to candy cane red like on your skin. It just may be me though? :headscratch: Also looking at the photo your one line short & that is because your lines are thicker that the planes in the photo have. Unless you have a picture showing other wise of the K aircraft.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 12:53:15 PM by lyric1 »

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 07:35:15 PM »
Thanks Guys,

Yes Lyric, I was just looking at Yellow, since I though it would match the propellor blades, I will look at the gold.. ta.
Raw Prawns      

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 03:17:10 AM »
Updated Yellow, I couldn't find a yellow to match the photo, i gather that is something to do with time and processing of the film. So I used the yellow from the Roundels.

old one for comparison
Raw Prawns      

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 08:31:08 PM »
The stripes on the tail are a tad too bright.  A darker red would work.  The stripes on your skin look a little thicker than in the photos, and missing 1 stripe compared to the top photo (counted the strips on the tail of the plane in the background).  The 1st yellow you did, matches better with both the top photo and the profile picture.  The newer yellow looks a tad dark compared to them.  As you said, it could be due to the age of the film, but the 1st yellow fits better with the photo.  Couldn't get a yellow between the two?  The 2nd yellow you did, matches the model very well though.  Other than that, that is a fantastic job you have done. :aok

Unrelated to the skin:
I just noticed that in the main plane, the invasion stripes don't go over the top on the rear fuselage, while the background plane, has it going all around.  Wonder if they didn't finish painting them on...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 08:45:36 PM by Volron »
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Online lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 08:48:38 PM »
The stripes on the tail are a tad too bright.  A darker red would work.  The stripes on your skin look a little thicker than in the photos, and missing 1 stripe compared to the top photo (counted the strips on the tail of the plane in the background).  The 1st yellow you did, matches better with both the top photo and the profile picture.  The newer yellow looks a tad dark compared to them.  As you said, it could be due to the age of the film, but the 1st yellow fits better with the photo.  Couldn't get a yellow between the two?  The 2nd yellow you did, matches the model very well though.  Other than that, that is a fantastic job you have done. :aok

Unrelated to the skin:
I just noticed that in the main plane, the invasion stripes don't go over the top on the rear fuselage, while the background plane, has it going all around.  Wonder if they didn't finish painting them on...
They started painting over invasion stripes after D-day the half painted fuselage was a later paint scheme.

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 09:11:20 PM »
They started painting over invasion stripes after D-day the half painted fuselage was a later paint scheme.

That was what I thought...don't know why I didn't ask that question vs the other.  Oh boy... :o
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 09:31:06 PM »
I didn't see the original post by Lyric re the red.

So i've changed it to insigniture red. The choosing of the colours, I can only do so much, my guess is they used what was on hand, which would be the paint for the roundels and such.

Volron, thanks for the comments.

Raw Prawns      

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 09:52:29 PM »
A few things regarding colour I've noticed :

1) The blue seems a bit.. I don't know how to describe it, other than pale, compared to the picture Lyric posted. Maybe it IS correct, I do not know, but I think it would look better a little deeper.

2) The spinners in your lastest post look rather "rubber ducky" yellow.. I think if you get a shade lighter and darken it a tad(can't describe how it'd be done, I'm sure it can though), you'll be right on the mark with Lyric's picture.

3) The tail stripes look much better  :aok

*Edit - Should be noted that I'm not a skinner and will never attempt to. Just a few things I noticed that I thought you may appreciate hearing.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 09:54:01 PM by EskimoJoe »
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 11:33:02 PM »
Few things.

"K" still appears to be the previous "red" color.  It should match the tail stripes.

Roundel on the side, the profile shows a SAAF roundel.  Is the standard British one correct?  Was this a Med bird?  If so its likely to have had the SAAF Roundel.  And is the current one done correctly, the red to blue purportions seem off.

Roundels above the wings?  Below?

Invasion stripes, try using 50,50,50 for the black.  And try 234,244,242 or something close for the white there and on the tail.  Not quite as "stark".

Wish I had time to do this again. 

Cheers.
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 12:02:19 AM »

This is an MTO bird.  The invasion stripes are not related to Normandy, but the problem with getting mistaken for a German bird without some sort of ID stripe.  I think the profile is wrong in terms of wing stripes.  This was just the fuselage and unrelated to D-Day
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 01:12:12 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

Change log... Updated the white, turned on the wing roundels (oops) and updated the red K (good catch).

It is an MTO bird, but I dont have any side photo's of it to give an indication of colour of the roundel, red or orange, if you look at the profiles versus the pictures, they dont match. So I went with the RAF colours. I am happy to be corrected. I think the roundel size is correct for the fuselage based on other pics of PR machines. No roundels on the bottom of the wing

Raw Prawns      

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2010, 01:18:10 AM »
FT,

So far all looks good. However, I notice that in the historical photo that was provided above, the red stripes appear to be thinner than the white stripes. Currently, both red and white stripes on your skin are the same width. You may want to double check your sources though. I am also not sure if you have the blue paint matched up exactly. You might want to add a little extra tint of blue to the blue paint on the plane. The yellow spinners appear to be spot on with the photos provided.

That is all I have observed thus far with this skin. Good luck! :aok
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Online lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2010, 02:35:06 AM »
Few things.

Roundel on the side, the profile shows a SAAF roundel. Is the standard British one correct? Was this a Med bird? If so its likely to have had the SAAF Roundel. And is the current one done correctly, the red to blue purportions seem off.

Roundels above the wings? Below?

Cheers.
I have looked so hard for a picture with SAAF roundels & could not find any from that time period until now. I would say based off of the three pictures I have posted you could go either way? Now if you go with the G designation I would say SAAF in. I like the SAAF better any way. :aok

Also complete invasion stripes on the first aircraft.

Notice the difference white letters on the side of the fuselage & vertical stabilizer is all blue & rudder only striped in the first picture.

EDIT: Also just noticed under a magnifying glass that the drop tank on the right wing looks to be white in the third picture? That profile I posted may be right about D-day stripes under the wing?

EDIT#2: Also just noticed in the second picture that one of the aircraft has white drop tanks as well? No invasion stripes though on that aircraft yet the one next to it has partial stripes? Seems strange to paint tanks white though? I think it may have come off a bird that at one time did have stripes?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 03:11:09 AM by lyric1 »