Author Topic: WW1 an idea to generate a little interest  (Read 1902 times)

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
Re: WW1 an idea to generate a little interest
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2010, 05:11:22 PM »
Add these lol......

(Image removed from quote.)
I loved using them for loon busting in DoA
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline Tinribs

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2010, 05:43:40 PM »
I like WWI arena sadly few people or none in there to warrant a lot of time in there for me. So here is my 2 cents worth for a change to maybe generate some interest.

Take the Ozkansas map & specifically the tank town island portion of it.  Make the airbases like a WWI airbase & leave the vehicle bases on the map & can't be captured & neutral :headscratch: lets say like Sweden during WWII . Now condense all the bases on the map so they are closer & leave the auto acks up on the vehicle bases & turn all the soft guns including the 17 pound guns in to auto acks as well. Give them a maximum firing range of 4k as an example.

(Image removed from quote.)

So why do this? Well now when ever you take off you have to get to a certain height when flying in WWI in stead of the current 50 foot max ceiling we have by most players now. So with doing this the fight will be pushed up where it belongs. This will force the dr1 out of it's element of low turning dog fights & stop the huge numbers of people that only fly it. Also just a new map that will at least make it interesting from that persepective. To the best of my limited know how of map making this could be a quick fix.

Any way flame away every one.

:aok
I carnt relax cos I havent done a thing and I carnt do a thing cos I carnt relax.

Offline SCTusk

• Copper Member
      • Skeleton Crew Squadron
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 06:07:32 PM »
My Camel can take any DR1 / DR7 pilot out 1vs1!   You just need to work your advantages and good SA can prevent the interruptions from dishonourable pickers.

:rofl funny guy

"We don't have a plan, so nothing can go wrong." (Spike Milligan)

Read my WW1 online novel 'Blood and Old Bones' at http://www.ww1sims.com/
A tribute to WW1 airmen and the squadron spirit, inspired by virtual air combat.

SCTusk    ++ SKELETON CREW ++  founde

Offline F6Fraven

• Zinc Member
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 06:14:13 PM »
Any D7 pilot? I doubt you would do very well against Wmaker or I.

Offline Yellow39

• Zinc Member
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2010, 11:42:22 PM »
My humble opinion is that  the current ranking system makes no sense ..

If u leave it to me I just eliminate the ranking system period. We need players there not ppl fighting for bragging rights.

In WW1 arena any plane can defeat any plane and the balance is proved. The invincibility of the Dr1 is a myth .. there is plenty of good sticks in the arena that will take any Dr1 for a ride including mine. Just to mention some names  .... XPsteve, Bagrat, Akraven, Shotdown, Wmaker, ScTusk, Scasp, Sid, Xcelsior, Skullace, Longbow, Kuhn, ScBilly, Mano1 and surely  I'm forgetting quite a few ...  regardless,  any of these players can shoot a Dr1 no matter who is flying it, but also these guys have taken the time to learn and understand  the plane they are flying properly...  the problem with the Dr1 is that any newbie can flight it to a certain level, as a matter of fact anyone can fly a Dr1 to combat, it doesnt need a special attention, it is sharp, a stable platform, visibility is great, climbs like a monkey, turns tight .. it is the same with the Spitfire in WW2. I'm sure if more planes are introduced and ppl have more options  the whole ordeal with the Dr1 would disappear in a flash.

The other thing I want to bring to the table is that regardless of the few that were built in real life (320 if I'm not mistaken) and all the structural deficiencies it REALLY was a great plane. Why do you think top aces of WW1 were flying this plane since it first came out ?  :headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch:

Ehre 

Offline Yellow39

• Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2010, 11:52:42 PM »
My Camel can take any DR1 / DR7 pilot out 1vs1!   You just need to work your advantages and good SA ...

Well said ... I agree with you 100% !!!  :rock

Offline SCTusk

• Copper Member
      • Skeleton Crew Squadron
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2010, 07:55:35 AM »
The invincibility of the Dr1 is a myth ..
Ehre 

........  :headscratch: Wow Ehre, that comes as a suprise. I may have misunderstood one or two of our conversations in the WW1 arena. One of the main goals of the recent Camel Sweep event was to test a theory - that in a furball the Dr1 advantage would diminish. Initially I thought this was the case due to the fight dynamics. But the stats told a different story, we lost 2 Camels for each a/c we destroyed.... you guys lost 1 Dr1 for every 2 a/c destroyed.

I'd like to talk you through a 1v1 duel, as there may be something I'm missing (in which case hopefully someone will point it out). Ok lets say I'm F1 you're Dr1 (sounds familiar) and we merge co-alt, no HO shooting. I think we'd all agree that the Dr1 turns tighter/faster . Let's also say for the sake of the discussion that we are equally skilled at ACM. Therefore every move I make, you will counter to avoid my reaching a firing solution. Due to the Dr1's turning advantage you will succeed in this every time. Every move you make I will counter to prevent you from reaching a firing solution, but due to the Dr1's turning advantage I will eventually fail to achieve this. Any introduction of the vertical only hastens my demise - the Dr1 climbs faster and 'floats' better, and is structurally safer in a turning dive.

When faced with an opponent who has a turning advantage, provided he doesn't make a mistake your only option is to extend.... and the F1 doesn't have the legs for it. I realise this seems like an over-simplification but in my experience there really is no way to get a firing solution on a well handled Dr1 after the merge (1v1). I really do appreciate your words of encouragement which occassionally follow our duels, but as the 'shooter' if you are failing to recognise the similarity to shooting fish in a barrel then as one of the 'fish' I am certainly not.

I do not mean to diminish your prowess (which is considerable  :salute ) but the fact is that the Dr1 at least to some extent obscures it.
"We don't have a plan, so nothing can go wrong." (Spike Milligan)

Read my WW1 online novel 'Blood and Old Bones' at http://www.ww1sims.com/
A tribute to WW1 airmen and the squadron spirit, inspired by virtual air combat.

SCTusk    ++ SKELETON CREW ++  founde

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2010, 10:19:20 AM »
Problem with the WW1 arena is the guys you see high up in rank tend to fly on the high number country, making the fights extremely unbalanced. Last time I as in there, I was fighting 3 and 4 Dr1's every sortie, when I suggested that someone switch sides, I got no response. I assume it is because their K/D may have  taken  a hit. I propose removing scores from the WW1 arena. It can be fun but rather frustrating in that situation. I haven't flown WW since.
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline Tinribs

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2010, 02:35:26 PM »
The idea behind this thread was to find away of encouraging more players to fly in the WW1 arena.I find the fights more engaging than in any other arena {due to the close proximity of the combatants involved}and know that those that have given it the time and effort feel the same.Most of us that fly there on a regular basis now rarely if ever fly WW2.
That being said all agree that something is sadly missing in the arena mainly a feeling of "whats the point" to it all.Hitec has invested in the arena and due to the low numbers will undoubtedly not wish to invest anymore its therefore up to us to find a solution to the problem or the arena could dissapear.
The fact of the matter is people do care about scores there would be no such thing as games or sport without that competetive nature,I therefore feel it would be a mistake to eliminate this element allthough the current scoring system needs an overhaul as its innapropriate.
Lyrics idea for a re-working of the arena is great and I believe would be a significant improvement on what we now have,its exactly the kind of idea I was hoping this thread would generate.
The more thoughts and suggestions the better,keep em coming. <S> ALL :cheers:
I carnt relax cos I havent done a thing and I carnt do a thing cos I carnt relax.

Offline DrBone1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2010, 03:36:58 PM »
WW1 Is great fun anytime i show up . But for those that actually think by going for score that you are achieving something all you are doing is proving that 1. you are making most of your kills by interupting 1v1s  and 2. you are flying with the country with most numbers . Just try this for a change go in WW1 goto the side with lowest #s and then let me see a screenshot of your rank  :rolleyes: heck i have seen Raven on the Boards only a few times for #1 in WW1 my opinion Wmaker,AKRaven top dogs to watch in the D7 my vote for the DR1 would goto Wormzila never really encountered a good Camel pilot  :noid As for ideas to generate some interest in WW1 i am not to sure with the way some of these ppl in the community think it always changes what needs to be done about the game change 1 thing only to change another that was caused by the previous change   :rolleyes:
=The Damned=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6jjnCoBobc
I see DrBone has found a new Sith apprentice. Good, good, let the hate flow through you.  :devil
Move up, move over, or move aside.  Simple kombat 101.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2010, 03:54:51 PM »
snip..... change 1 thing only to change another that was caused by the previous change   :rolleyes: /snip

Golf Syndrome :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2010, 03:58:43 PM »
Easy idea:

A)  Have a regular "WWI Night" Like FSO, you'd have to be in a squad (even if it were just a WWI squad only).  Have it scored like FSO and have high wind above say 5 K that would blow any "cheaters" into the stratosphere or rip wings off...making it 5 K and less battle or you die.  Tangle, get kills, if you get out alive go land and re-arm...a true furballer's delight.  Have pink/light blue announcements in the MA's so folks know about it ahead of time.  All squads get missions (fighter sweeps) and patrol a certain area.  Post scores on the special events website.  We'd need a little bit bigger map though.  Front door mention for top monthly kills and top squads.

B) Weekly "Scenerio".  Bigger map, TWO SIDES ONLY and like AvA--whatever side you only get that side's ride.  No squad required and walk-ons OK.  Each side gets divided into two sides on arena entry by a moderator to keep sides even.  Choose scenerios like "The Somme", "Bloody April", "Over Sally-le-Sec", etc.  Fly the rides that were available for that battle and see if you can re-write history.  Post top kills guys and make it a fun but as historically accurate as possible.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 04:37:22 PM by ROX »

Offline DrBone1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2010, 04:04:31 PM »
Golf Syndrome :D
I ain't trying to start anything just saying its true  :salute
=The Damned=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6jjnCoBobc
I see DrBone has found a new Sith apprentice. Good, good, let the hate flow through you.  :devil
Move up, move over, or move aside.  Simple kombat 101.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2010, 04:51:37 PM »
I ain't trying to start anything just saying its true  :salute

I know..... but it sounds like my golf swing.  :rofl
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Yellow39

• Zinc Member
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2010, 04:53:09 PM »
we lost 2 Camels for each a/c we destroyed.... you guys lost 1 Dr1 for every 2 a/c destroyed.

Is there any solid proof on this ?  I saw our lines retreating and going down  every time we faced the camel cloud ...

No comment to the rest of the post ...

<S> Dr.Bone .. I agree with your top picks 100% .. Wormzila was indeed an excellent Dr1 stick ,  there are also many other that today will go hand to hand with him without too many problems .. eg. RedPower, Iwlf, Perdweeb,  MajQball, Happy,  LongBow, SkullAce, Death, Ump40, Klingan, FrBosh.. I'm not saying they will win 100% of the times ( Nobody does and eventually we all get shoot down) but they will go toe to toe in a dogfight vs any Dr1 pilot guaranteed...

D7 sticks ....Wmaker, Akraven, BagRat, Viper, XPSteve, Shotdown, and there are others also skilled on that airplane...

Camel guns.... ScTusk, Sid, Mano1, Scasp, ScBilly, Kuhn and company ...  even though Tusk refuses to admit the fact...  I can tell you for sure they will get anybody in trouble real quick no matter what plane their opposition is  flying 

F2B ...Xcelsior is my man

Ehre