Author Topic: WW1 an idea to generate a little interest  (Read 1903 times)

Offline F6Fraven

• Zinc Member
Re: WW1 an idea to generate a little interest
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2010, 06:53:17 PM »
In my opinion the sides are usually pretty well balanced. It's true there are times when one side has too many players, this happens in any arena, but usually once you call it out people are glad to even the sides out. Sometimes too many people switch sides and we have the same problem all over again, but they were only trying to help. As far as the top players getting a lot of easy picks...I know I don't go in on a 2v1 unless there's a bit of trash going on, which happens every once in a while. I think most of the top guys aren't looking for a bunch of easy kills either, we're usually on the side that's outnumbered. In my D7 I usually get a lot more kills when people try to go 3V1 against Wmaker or I. We like a little bit of challenge too lol.

Offline Sid

• Copper Member
      • "SWIFT" 72 Squadron
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2010, 07:43:49 PM »
we lost 2 Camels for each a/c we destroyed.... you guys lost 1 Dr1 for every 2 a/c destroyed.

Is there any solid proof on this ?  I saw our lines retreating and going down  every time we faced the camel cloud ...

Ehre

I provided the information to SCTusk, based on a screen shot I took of the  Plane Statistics page, first about 21:30EST and again at 23:30EST

D.VII 18 Kills 17 Lost

Dr.I  97 Kills 43 Lost

F.1   54 Kills 102 Lost

F.2b   4 Kills 11 Lost

Total 173 Kills 173 Lost
Oculus Rift user.

Offline SCTusk

• Copper Member
      • Skeleton Crew Squadron
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2010, 09:45:14 PM »
Thanks Sid  :salute

And what does it all mean? Well for one thing the initial premise of the furball diminishing the Dr1's potency was laid waste. So 1v1 or 10v10 the triplane dominates.... but maybe we guessed that already.

I can see why the top Dr1 guys don't like this, but it's not an attack on their capabilities. Agreed there's some collateral damage in that area, but flying a Dr1 well doesn't prove you're a bad pilot - it just doesn't set the bar high enough to prove you're a brilliant pilot. That's why I fly the Camel.... see, clearly not brilliant but I can relax, it's out there. No pressure  :D

Sauerkraut anyone?
"We don't have a plan, so nothing can go wrong." (Spike Milligan)

Read my WW1 online novel 'Blood and Old Bones' at http://www.ww1sims.com/
A tribute to WW1 airmen and the squadron spirit, inspired by virtual air combat.

SCTusk    ++ SKELETON CREW ++  founde

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2010, 11:23:58 PM »
who lost the other F2b
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline Yellow39

• Zinc Member
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2010, 12:34:01 AM »
Good work Sid providing the info ... Thanks

Tusk ..  only meaning for you is whatever is against the little triplane, your rhetoric, facts, and words are affected by your passion. I have never ever see you stating a good fact about the triplane , every time you post in this forum is to blast the Dr1 w huge cannon balls. Of course this is  not an attack on your writting capabilities although some collateral damage will be suffered .... and writting the way you do doesn't prove you are a bad writer ... see that's why I do not write .. clearly I'm not brilliant but I can relax as well... sometimes I put one word or two. No pressure.  :D

Hopefully you wont get offended by your own words !!!

.. and yes I already know  you will come with some kind of answer and another set of well  placed words... that's what you do .. clearly that's all you do.

This topic and post is closed for me, go ahead and fire again vs the Dr1 leaving the battlefield without wings, here as there the fire will not be answered  ... the German blood from my grandpa  is getting to my brain and I rather close this page and not argue with my virtual friends about things without solution... at the end the winner always write history.

Peace

Ehre

Offline SCTusk

• Copper Member
      • Skeleton Crew Squadron
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2010, 07:05:15 AM »
.. and yes I already know  you will come with some kind of answer and another set of well  placed words... that's what you do .. clearly that's all you do.

This topic and post is closed for me, go ahead and fire again vs the Dr1 leaving the battlefield without wings, here as there the fire will not be answered  ... the German blood from my grandpa  is getting to my brain and I rather close this page and not argue with my virtual friends about things without solution... at the end the winner always write history.

Peace

Ehre

Ehre I hope you do return and read my reply, I think it may suprise you. We've had our misunderstandings eh?... but always worked things out in the end  :salute Interestingly, those misunderstandings usually came about because of the way I fight, which some would interpret as less than 'gentlemanly'. Staggering back up badly damaged and taking a long shot at you after you broke off and left me to RTB was one instance that comes to mind. At the time I think you said that you would never understand that. Hopefully you do now. Whatever I'm worth as an opponent, you can be sure you'll get 100% of it, I figure there's some sort of honour in that?

As for this Dr1 thing it's surely obvious by now I've been running a campaign against it. I feel strongly that it's ruining the game, that it's incorrectly modelled, and that it's availability in such numbers is unrealistic. I also believe that when top shelf virtual pilots like yourself fly it exclusively (or mostly) it steals their kills. As an example (bear in mind I already acknowledge your ability) when we fight and I get shot down (90% of our encounters?) I attribute it mainly to the Dr1.... I just have no way of knowing how we'd go if, for instance, I flew the Dr1 and you flew the Camel. Certainly if you were in a Camel or DVII to start with and doing as well then I would be the first person to sing your praises. As it stands all I can say for sure is you are very good in the Dr1, but I suspect you would be hard to beat in any of the available a/c. I'd like to find out, you're flying has a certain unique element and style to it which should be fully unleashed, and this can only happen when you are put under pressure. Basically you're taking it easy at the moment, I realise being in a position to achieve such a high K/D ratio is tempting but there's more substantial rewards here if you look hard enough  :)

There's another matter which boils down to plain unfortunate circumstances. WW1 was largely about Germany fighting England, France and Russia, also the USA towards the end (although there were plenty of US volunteers involved throughout). It is if you like the historical demographic backdrop to the conflict. It seems appropriate that we can make light of the national differences (references to sauerkraut etc) where such humour better than any other sentiment demonstrates a comfortable and good natured friendly rivalry, putting historical conflict to bed as it were. Humour however is subjective so if you have taken offence please understand that none was intended.

I hope one day you and the other top Dr1 drivers move to another ride. Until then I trust you can continue to shoot me down with something less than raging hatred  :) For my part I'll continue to challenge myself under your virtual guns, who knows maybe one day the pressure will transform this old hack also-ran into a top class Dr1 beater.

"We don't have a plan, so nothing can go wrong." (Spike Milligan)

Read my WW1 online novel 'Blood and Old Bones' at http://www.ww1sims.com/
A tribute to WW1 airmen and the squadron spirit, inspired by virtual air combat.

SCTusk    ++ SKELETON CREW ++  founde

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2010, 07:32:57 AM »
Wait, that F1 night only had 4 kills to 11 deaths in an F2?  That has got to be wrong, all wrong.  No one but me flies the F2 that poorly!  I managed about 3 kills/2 deaths before logging in annoyance that night, definitely was not my style of "fun" play.

As for Ehre, he's beatable in in an F2 if you give it your all and don't let up.  When fighting a Dr1, do not ever fly the same for more than a few second.  If you ever watch me fighting him you'll see my plane twisting more than a twisty stick!  I do most anything to get him off my tail and that includes things that could put me in harms way for a split second, like sliding and a quick twist.  Doesn't always work, but if an F2 can do it (not now though, all rusty!) then anything can. :)
Besides, do you really want Ehre in something besides the Dr1?  Last time he got out he jumped into my gunner spot...bad day for Worm (where is that slimy centipede anyways?)
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Tinribs

• Copper Member
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2010, 09:42:13 AM »
Ok fellas the Dr1 v the rest debate will obviously continue to rage but the point of this thread is to find away of attracting new players to the arena and hopefully keeping them there.
With the small arena that we have and the limited amount of players the 3 sided system does seem largely pointless I would favor a 2 sided setup allthough definately not axis v allies.
Lyrics idea to raise the altitudes of fights is great (if you havent read it go back and do so)I can imagine this bringing a lot more realism to the arena both in the fighting and general look.
New players do appear every now and then only to get gunned down mercilessly and never return, I myself have let the newbs win on the odd occasion in the hope that they will return and I know that some players did the same for me when I first played (<S> Sid and iwlf) this is actually very hard to do as your flying instincts just take over.
The planes can be flown in the training arena and if we are serious about increasing numbers I would suggest that the newbs be offered some training help by whoever is around at the time and given it if they wish.I was given a lot of encouragement by various players when I started and in general this seems to be the case so no problems there.
As far as the ganging debate goes I dont think theres a problem,It doesnt seem to happen that often and when it does both sides are guilty, personally I find when Im 1 v 3 im at my best (I`ll lose but I like giving em the run around).
keep em coming <S> ALL  :cheers:

aka shotdown.
I carnt relax cos I havent done a thing and I carnt do a thing cos I carnt relax.

Offline Sid

• Copper Member
      • "SWIFT" 72 Squadron
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2010, 02:14:02 PM »
New players do appear every now and then only to get gunned down mercilessly and never return, I myself have let the newbs win on the odd occasion in the hope that they will return and I know that some players did the same for me when I first played (<S> Sid and iwlf) this is actually very hard to do as your flying instincts just take over.

aka shotdown.

That's not quite true Shotdown, I have an aversion to being "shotdown" myself if I can possibly help it. What I did with you when you started, and still often do if the arena is quiet and I'm 1v1 with someone who obviously hasn't got the hang of things yet, is see if I can kill them without firing a shot, just out fly them until they crash themselves into the ground / break their own wings off. I still get the kill, but they get far more of a taste for the dogfight and WWI.

I like your idea myself, given the WWI Dogfight Arena is small and only has four planes, with no "Bomber" "Attack" or "Vehicle" Rankings,  I don't see why we couldn't break the results down a bit more for WWI.

World War I Tour 8
Top Overall Ranking – Rosie, runner-up Hitech
Top D.VII Ranking – Hitech, runner-up Pyro
Top Dr.I Ranking – Rosie, runner-up Sudz
Top F.1 Ranking – Pyro, runner-up Waffle
Top F.2B Ranking – Skuzzy, runner-up Superfly

It might just get a few more planes other than the Dr.I flying.
Oculus Rift user.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2010, 10:31:32 PM »
Why not take out a few of the dueling fields in the DA and make a second lake, but just for ww1?

~AoM~

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2010, 10:40:32 PM »
Tusk the Dr1 didn't ruin the game, the people that play the game ruin the game.  :D

Offline iwomba

• Zinc Member
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2010, 02:36:54 AM »
Why is there even score.

I'll go one further & ask "why do we even have a ww1 arena"

Damn I feel another Combat Zone coming on & it does not feel good
WOMBA
9GIAP
Sydney, Australia Branch

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2010, 04:29:43 AM »
i wanna shoot down WWII planes with WWI planes :D

I want them shooting back! MWAHAHAHA
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2010, 07:53:18 AM »
Well... while the number of players hopping into WW1 has still slightly decreased from tour 8 to tour 9, the total activity there has seen a big rise by about 50% at the same time.

Seems you guys are on a good way.  :aok  Now, if there were also some bombers waiting to be shot down.... ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2010, 09:03:27 AM »
i wanna shoot down WWII planes with WWI planes :D

used to be able to take WW1's up in furball lake in the DA.. hmm wonder why not anymore?

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.