Author Topic: Young people,,,, know your history!!!  (Read 2244 times)

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
Re: Young people,,,, know your history!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2010, 12:19:55 PM »
But doesn't the Navy teach American naval history in their bootcamp? I know the Marines teach Marine Corp history. Ask any Marine the Marine Corps birthday and they'll tell you not only the date but the place of it's birth.

I can kind of see a regular young adult not knowing, but someone in the Navy not knowing........ that's just shameful IMO.
Lighten up Francis

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2010, 12:22:06 PM »
Even WW2 veterans have commented on how short-sighted American society is today. I find myself seriously doubting the average American's fortitude to fight back against an iminent threat. I have no doubt our military is the best there is. But what about the average American citizen, specifically today's generation & their kids? I see a lot of flag wavers, but what if it really got down to it?

History documents one reason the Japanese didn't invade the mainland. Every citizen owned and knew how to use a gun. If the military couldn't stop 'em, the average citizen was going to do his or her damnedest to knock 'em down.

When we choose to forget history's lessons and focus on current trivialities & comforts, we choose to repeat past mistakes.

We're doing that right now. It's very slow & subtle, but when there is nothing left to lose, people might wake up.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline stealth

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2010, 12:23:00 PM »
I got all caught up in this game from the movie Pearl Harbor. As well as Flysboys and U-571.
My Email is ACalex88@gmail.com if you want to contact me

"I shall fear no evil, for I am 80,000 feet and climbing"

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2010, 12:26:51 PM »
I'm a little upset with this story my former CO..............  What is her rate?  I'd hope she's a brand new E3, but that is still not an excuse.  

Today is one of three days of the year I always shed a few, in remembrance.  

Never Forget December 7th.   :salute

Technically, USMC history is US Navy history.  Just sayin.......   :uhoh

But doesn't the Navy teach American naval history in their bootcamp? I know the Marines teach Marine Corp history. Ask any Marine the Marine Corps birthday and they'll tell you not only the date but the place of it's birth.

I can kind of see a regular young adult not knowing, but someone in the Navy not knowing........ that's just shameful IMO.  Say it Again!!!
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2010, 12:31:06 PM »
WTG Dadguns!  Unfortunate that these young ppl careless of such important date.  What is more sad is that about 26% of Americans do not know why we celebrate 4th of July.  sigh, sigh.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2010, 12:56:43 PM »
Remember Pearl Harbor!  ........As they cleared up the debris from the WTC  :cry

"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2010, 01:23:32 PM »
So I stop my Medical today to pick up my records, A young female sailor comes to the window and asks "what can I do for you Chief?", stated to her that I was picking up my record so she assigned a clerk to get it, while we were waiting I mentioned that it was a beautiful day today but rather cold, she said she "really didn't notice", she then handed me a pen and paper to sign for the record and as I was signing the date I asked her "Do you know what today is?", she says "why yes Chief, its 07Dec", I replied "Yes, but do you know the significance of this date?", she stated "Tuesday?", "I asked her has she ever heard of ".... a day that will live in infamy..", of course the answer was a big fat "no".......  

In front of that window, I made clear to her what this day meant and why every flag on every ship, on the waterfront and in this nation, every military base, school, public building, library, anywhere you see an American Flag that it will be displayed at Half Mast is because of the unfortunate events of Pearl Harbor, I also explained to her that history should never repeat itself, the only way to do that is to know where you have been.  Know your History.

We should never allow anyone to forget any of these events that so many have given their lives for.   :salute

Here you go kids, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VqQAf74fsE  catch up with the rest of us that know.

WTG CHIEF!!!

I worked for a retired 4-Star once....he always said that "Admirals know where the head is......but Chief's tell them its ok to go!!!

V/r

Changeup
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2010, 01:59:37 PM »
 :rofl

....he always said that "Admirals know where the head is......but Chief's tell them its ok to go!!!

See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2010, 02:00:55 PM »
I figured it out!! You asked a women :x
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline HighGTrn

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2010, 02:31:51 PM »
So I stop my Medical today to pick up my records, A young female sailor comes to the window and asks "what can I do for you Chief?", stated to her that I was picking up my record so she assigned a clerk to get it, while we were waiting I mentioned that it was a beautiful day today but rather cold, she said she "really didn't notice", she then handed me a pen and paper to sign for the record and as I was signing the date I asked her "Do you know what today is?", she says "why yes Chief, its 07Dec", I replied "Yes, but do you know the significance of this date?", she stated "Tuesday?", "I asked her has she ever heard of ".... a day that will live in infamy..", of course the answer was a big fat "no".......  

In front of that window, I made clear to her what this day meant and why every flag on every ship, on the waterfront and in this nation, every military base, school, public building, library, anywhere you see an American Flag that it will be displayed at Half Mast is because of the unfortunate events of Pearl Harbor, I also explained to her that history should never repeat itself, the only way to do that is to know where you have been.  Know your History.

We should never allow anyone to forget any of these events that so many have given their lives for.   :salute

Here you go kids, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VqQAf74fsE  catch up with the rest of us that know.

Chief? What tribe are you in charge of?  Just kidding Dads.. Thank you for your decades of service.  :salute
in game call sign: S1n1ster

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2010, 02:39:32 PM »
Chief? What tribe are you in charge of?  
That'd be the Slapaho of the Tidewater Nation
Lighten up Francis

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2010, 03:07:19 PM »
Sounds Like you encountered "Generation Y" or better known as "Generation ME" as generations fall by wars are forgotten, how many significant dates from WW1 can you remember?

<S>...-Gixer

Offline bagrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2010, 03:13:07 PM »
that's nothin, I came across a chick who didn't even know what a flat head screwdriver was, or what a screwdriver even looked like for that matter. I would have thought that when you said "a day that will live in infamy" would have certainly been a dead give away though.

just yesterday I come across someone saying, I quote "people need to get over ww2 already! It was over 100 years ago!" ....I face palmed to say the least.

Since we are talking about people in the navy, history knowledge aside. My brother is in the Navy and nearly got jumped by other sailors for not having cigarettes to give to them. He doesn't smoke that's why he didn't have any cigs, luckily my bro is nearly twice the size of me and able to fend for him self well enough. We are sending these kind of uniformed thugs around the world and the fact that some of them have a D- knowledge of history should not be completely unexpected.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 03:35:39 PM by bagrat »
Last post by bagrat - The last thing you'll see before your thread dies since 2005.

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2010, 03:35:09 PM »
I asked everyone I could if they knew what the significance of today was. They replied with "no," or "shut up, I don't care." Seeing as both are unacceptable answers to me, I was pretty steamsed up. ESPECIALLY when none of the other seniors stood for the pledge, even after I told them what the day was...
Landing is overrated.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I: I took the one less traveled by." - Robert Frost
"Uncommon valor was a common virtue." <S>

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2010, 04:34:32 PM »

I can kind of see a regular young adult not knowing, but someone in the Navy not knowing........ that's just shameful IMO.

Uptown,

Its not surprising to me....hell, the public at large doesnt even care about 9-11 anymore.  They would like us to bring the troops home from Afghanistan without OBL.  The public used to be mad at him...but, they feel safe so the outrage is gone.  The Japanese used planes of war with soldiers trained for war against an installation of war....OBL used our own civilian planes, against civilians, with few military casualties.  Seems to me the public doesn't want any payback for a 9 year old debt...in the kids eyes today, why should they remember Pearl Harbor?  I think its beyond sad for both accounts....unacceptable.

Changeup
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba