Author Topic: Young people,,,, know your history!!!  (Read 2245 times)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: Young people,,,, know your history!!!
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2010, 05:00:50 PM »
Uptown,

Its not surprising to me....hell, the public at large doesnt even care about 9-11 anymore.  They would like us to bring the troops home from Afghanistan without OBL.  The public used to be mad at him...but, they feel safe so the outrage is gone.  The Japanese used planes of war with soldiers trained for war against an installation of war....OBL used our own civilian planes, against civilians, with few military casualties.  Seems to me the public doesn't want any payback for a 9 year old debt...in the kids eyes today, why should they remember Pearl Harbor?  I think its beyond sad for both accounts....unacceptable.

Changeup

I noticed when I was going through school in the 80s/90s the emphasis of education was shifting from knowing stuff to knowing how to look stuff up.  It's only gotten worse with the advent of the internet.  People don't see a reason to retain information because it's readily available to find with their phone or computer if they have a need to know the answer.

I don't know what it means, but I don't think it's good.  It seems like anything that's not right in front of 90% of the population is forgotten within days.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2010, 05:23:38 PM »
I was talking to someone today about how horrible it was that the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor. They agreed with me.  :cry

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2010, 05:42:46 PM »
I was talking to someone today about how horrible it was that the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor. They agreed with me.  :cry

Now, I have to ask myself...  Is that person posting on a BBS somewhere tonight about the dolt who was talking to them about how horrible it was that the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?  :headscratch:

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2010, 06:25:03 PM »
Did he happen to love Jack Daniels?   :D

See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2010, 06:25:53 PM »
 :headscratch:  Never saw Animal House?

Now, I have to ask myself...  Is that person posting on a BBS somewhere tonight about the dolt who was talking to them about how horrible it was that the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?  :headscratch:

Wiley.
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Sgtlead

• Zinc Member
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2010, 06:28:15 PM »
 :salute  Ive recounted the story many times to those who are ignorant of the price paid for their freedom.  Every year I read the story of Lts Welsh and Taylor, at Pearl, and remember and thank God for those who paid the ultimate price for me.  To you Dads and all service men and women  I salute you.   :salute
In God we trust, all others we run through NCIC

When you see that Mosquito easing up on your 6 relax.  Its just me.

Offline Liberator

• Copper Member
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2010, 06:50:50 PM »
Well, not all young people don't know their history. I wanted to just go bang my head against the wall at school today when all the people looked up at the flagpole saying "Why's it only halfway up dere?"

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2010, 07:32:21 PM »
I hope you told them why.  This is a part of how we learn.  What better way to educate someone about what happened at Pearl sixty nine years ago today than to tell them.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2010, 07:39:17 PM »
I recall, about 22 years ago when I was in high school, a friend of mine who wasn't very academically inclined telling me after a test that he got the question about Pearl Harbor right because of hanging out with me and hearing me talk about this stuff.

Sometimes ignorance does suffer defeats.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline DEECONX

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2010, 07:40:25 PM »
Asked my Step-sister what today was. She had no clue. And she is always complaining about her history classes. She has to take US History next year and is like "I can see if your going to be a history teacher, but I dont care about Greek stuff"

/insertfacepalm

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2010, 08:07:51 PM »
Well I went into work today and asked the 7 employees working what day it was. I got several "It's Tuesday", and "It's the seventh" but only 1 answered "It's Pearl Harbor Day".

What makes this day even worse is tonight we had a 95 year old WW2 Vet's truck blow up while he was trying to start it in the cold weather. He made it out alive and unharmed but his truck and part of his house burned up. And of course no one during the news cast or the following call in segment made the connection to what day it was.
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline TOMCAT21

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2010, 09:21:42 PM »
sad dads..it really is..wtg on setting them straight
RETIRED US Army/ Flying and dying since Tour 80/"We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded." - Capt. Richard Winters.  FSO 412th FNVG/MA- REGULATORS

Offline BurnOut

• Zinc Member
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2010, 03:31:16 AM »
History repeats itself again and again.What you are seeing is the decline of the U.S.A. as a world power,as other great powers declined before them.I just want to reach out and slap people when they sit on their arse as the U.S. flag is paraded in front of them!My own grand son asked me how it was in WWII!?,and should he join the Army or Navy.I looked at my grand son in disbelieve,and said Adam,I never fought in WWII,and I told him that my war was in Southeast Asia,at a much later time.About the Army or Navy,I told him that was a decision he would have to make,but that I was proud of him for giving the thought about serving his country.
The youth that are coming along these days aren't interested in things that we older folk hold dear.The Chief set the woman straight,and I'm proud he did.I think of all the military people that have given their all for this country,and it saddens me deeply,that some people don't even give a rats arse as long as they weren't effected!When I was a youngster,I can recall Veterans Day was a big day in my home town.The old WWII guys,and even a few from WWI marched down main street,and when the colors passed,everyone had their hand over their heart,or was saluting.
About Pearl Harbor,the truth of the matter is that the United States was on high alert that the Japanese might attack.It's also pretty much a given fact that Great Britain knew the attack was coming,but didn't give the information to the U.S.!So we know the rest of the story.The radar operators being told it was a group of B-17s when they called in the contact,and the surprise was complete.We lost a lot of people that day,and Japan would pay dearly for their so called sneak attack.War is brutal,and not paying respect or remembering events that occurred is shameful,but it is a sign of the times,and the sad truth is it will get worse.