Author Topic: better to buy major brand name machine or build?  (Read 1351 times)

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
better to buy major brand name machine or build?
« on: April 11, 2001, 09:00:00 PM »
If I was to purchase a new computer.. would it be bwtter to order a monster from Dell, Gateway, Micron, NEC..etc... or better to have someone build a monster. This machine will primarily be a gaming computer with top notch vid and sound components, with office applicatrions as well.

opinions?

ammo
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Rocket

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2001, 09:12:00 PM »
I would build myself.  You can get some really good deals out there if you look for em.   www.pricewatch.com
I usually try to group my parts together to save shipping costs.  But by building your own you can put exactly what you want in it instead of having to settle for some just a bit less than what ya wanted.

S!
Rocket

Offline Camel

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2001, 10:48:00 PM »
Hiya Ammo, thanks for those six calls tonight  

I gotta suggest building your own gaming machine!

I built my first comp a few months ago, its not really all that hard. Just to prove it too myself, I built 2 more last month for a fiend and my mother. Both are running strong mildly overclocked.  

The hardest part really, is to figure out what you want. The guys around here can help you out with that! I ended up spending about $750 US, getting everything I want on a budget. Most importantly the equipment has  more of the "upgradability" than ANY store bought machine.

If ya got some time to invest in saving a buck, and getting some quality equipment, building your own is the way to go.

Offline Oosik

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2001, 11:00:00 PM »
The most cost effective way is to build it yourself (like my squadie camel).  But if your like me low tolerance for not knowing why the *&$# will not work, and there is always something that needs help, you may want to buy a custom gaming machine.  If you do go the build it route the guys on this board can answer any question that will come up (although they don't always agree with each other).  It's best if you have a geek friend (we all do) to help.  Me I came into some heavy cash and blew it on an Alienware top-of-the-line AMD system (atleast it was) and have had NO problems.  Next time its my turn to build    good luck.

Offline BaneX

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2001, 11:51:00 PM »
Nother vote for building your own.. for 1 you get to choose the operating system you want on it and not get stuck with winblows ME. Also, you can usually get a much better system for cheaper than a name brand box. Finally, you know whats in the case from the motherboard on up  

Bane
13th TAS

MrSiD

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2001, 01:01:00 AM »
Banex: nothing stops you from installing another OS even to a brand computer.

A brand computer is only good for office use where you wont mind to have integrated this and that to the mobo. Or have a mobo with only 2 free expansion slots and no free memory slots heheheh..

Just take into notice that if you can't tell broomstick from memory stick, it might not be a good idea to build the system yourself. Ask someone (a friend?) to give you technical advice or even build it for you.

Choosing the right components has a huge effect on how your computer will work later on. When you build a system for game use, even one weak link in it will spoil it. Make no compromise, don't go for the extreme pricey stuff if you don't have money, but never try to get around cheap either. Buy only quality parts. The crazyest is to buy some superexpensive component to an el-cheapo setup which can't even use its max capacity.

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
      • http://bug322.startje.com
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2001, 05:44:00 AM »
Those Brand systems are always a bit obsolete
when u build ur own u can have the latest things in it

TheWobble

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2001, 06:16:00 AM »
"Brand" computers almost always have thier damn crap programed into the bios so you se  "DELL" or some other crap when you reboot/Start it..even if you format it.

A PC you build your self will always be better for several reasons

1:
No useless stuff...by that I mean the 60gig Hard drives they try to sell you..now space is good and all but who really needs a 60gig drive??

2:
better components..as in they have their own crap boards and cheap bellybutton memory that they stick into the stamped out toejambox they sell you.

3:
ONBOARD AGP!!!

this is a real anus tweaker...you get your PC and want to upgrade the video card only to open the case and to your horror find that the 8mb sack of vomit video card they sent with it is bulit in and the damn board has no agp slot.

4:
Piles an piles of toejam software..
title says it all..first thing you will have to do is format and reinstall windows..but guess what..they didnt send you a full win98/ME/2000 CD, just some toejambag companion CD.

5:
Ugly case..

DUH

Please ignore this post..I am very drunk.

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2001, 06:42:00 AM »
You can also go with an initial barebones system and build from there.

Barebones ususally comes with:

Case w/power supply
Motherboard
Processor
Cooling fan on processor
RAM
Maybe a 1.44 floppy

You can build the rest from there!  

Good Luck and let us know how it is going!

------------------
Swager
On Leave 3./JG2~Richthofen~[/i]

"Enjoy yourselves now... for I'll be back"
3./JG2
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2001, 07:56:00 AM »
roll your own

easier to keep up to date with the latest and greatest

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2001, 08:36:00 AM »
Building your own computer can be daunting, especially if you have never done it.  Don't let anyone tell you it is a simple task.  It isn't.

But, buying an OEM computer today is not the best choice either.  OEM's have become so cost conscience they are stuffing the cheapest components they can get into the systems.

Generally speaking, you will spend more to build your computer than what an OEM system will cost, IF you chose to use high quality components.
For me, there is no other reason to build a computer, other than I demand the best components I can get.  That does not equate to the fastest system, but it does translate to a very reliable system that will just simply work.

Someone mentioned pricewath as a good site to get prices and find companies that sell computer products, but you need to be cautious.  Some of those low-ball prices are made up by the shipping charges and some of those companies are fly-by-night companies that do not ship anything but will merrily charge your credit card and make excuses for not shipping for 30 days, which happens to be the time period for filing charge-back requests to most credit card companies.

Here are some reputable sites I use.
 http://www.comp-u-plus.com/
Good prices, fair shipping costs.
 http://www.microx-press.com/
Not the best prices, but they have a lot of the software at good prices.
 http://www.antec-inc.com/
Get the HD Cooler and fans for your system here.
 http://www.techstore.com/
Good place for the case.  They carry a good line of Antec cases, which is what I would recommend.
 http://www.crucial.com/
Memory.  Cannot go wrong with Crucial ram.

Hope that helps.

------------------
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
President, AppLink Corp.
http://www.applink.net
skuzzy@applink.net
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2001, 09:46:00 AM »
Good advice Skuzzy.

I have been lucky enough to find a local shop that will put machines together with the parts I choose.  They build them and warranty them as normal, but I get to pick what goes into it.  It's the best of both worlds.  If you can find something like that close to you, it's the best way.  You get quality components, local support, and a reasonable price.  They won't be the cheapest, but you'll get good components for a fair price and they will normally be well put together.

The trick is to find a shop like that.  They are not common.

------------------
Sean "Lephturn" Conrad - Aces High Chief Trainer

A proud member of the mighty Flying Pigs
http://www.flyingpigs.com

Check out Lephturn's Aerodrome for AH articles and training info!

Offline rosco-

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2001, 11:00:00 AM »
 What lephturn said.  Most computer stores around here build thier own systems and getting them to change it is like pulling teeth. I am luch enough to have a friend who  builds systems for a computer store in Ottawa. I tell him what I want and makes a list of parts, emails it to me with the prices and after ive made up my mind I call him and have it the next day   IMO actually building it is the easy part, its matching components and knowing what works with what thats the comfuseing part.

Offline LaVa

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2001, 12:46:00 PM »
GRAB your geek friend as someone said and buy him a 12 pack.  I made the mistake of buying one at <puke> Best buy.  Before you guys shoot me I must say i was very busy and didnt have to time to research the "whats what in todays comp market.  Besides, the last puter i built was a p133 3-4 years ago if remember correctly.  I had and still have no clue whats hot these days. So I elected for the quick grab at Best buy.  A COMPUKE P3 700 128m with a V5500 64meg<which i put in myself>PCI..No damn agp. Quess what !!!! that piece of toejam locked up more than i cared for and now is completely fuked up.  It will not boot unless its in safe mode.  I now have to get one of my "buddys" a 12 pack to pull my bellybutton out of the fire.  

Funny how this p2 350 64m with my v5500 in it runs AH almost as fast as that compuke that i have.  No kidding, not much difference..What gives? Maybe i have answered my own question...

Good Luck!

LaVa

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2001, 12:49:00 PM »
I built my first one a couple of months ago. There's loads of places on the net where the 'people who know' (like here for instance).

I had a few problems, and putting the CPU and HSF into the motherboard was a bit nerve-wracking, but I probably saved about 500 pounds ($750) buying all the top-of-the-range parts. When I asked for custom set-ups at large OEMs, they wanted to charge through the nose for them.

I 've had no real problems and those that arose I've sorted out (with the help of a bit of advice  ).

It's also helped me to learn a little more about computers.

I think the support a PC manufacturer gives you is over-rated. Unless you pay for the engineer call-out cover, I've always found 'telephone support' to be a bit of an oxymoron.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.