Author Topic: better to buy major brand name machine or build?  (Read 1336 times)

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
better to buy major brand name machine or build?
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2001, 07:56:00 PM »
Bloom, I do thank you sir I am sold.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Sancho

• Silver Member
      • http://www.56thfightergroup.com
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2001, 03:34:00 AM »
Ammo, build yer own bud.  The big PC companies don't cater to gamers' needs very well.  They tend to throw in a bunch of crap you don't need or skimp on essential parts.  The best way to get top notch on the stuff that matters to you is to build it yourself. You've already got a PC so just gradually upgrade parts on it--a power supply here, a motherboard/cpu/ram there, a video card--oh wait you already did that one.    Eventually you'll have enough spare parts to build a box for your kids while you get the hot-rod gaming box.

MrSiD

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2001, 05:28:00 AM »
I just read an article about the fake power consumption rating in P4..

Intel specs say its about 52 watts. Real life performance tests show that it's really 74 watts.. What Intel did to overcome that problem? They included a nifty utility to drop every second clock cycle in times of peak stress (reducing the actual clocks to 750..) to keep the power consumption within spec.

That's probably why the P4 shines on paper but sucks on stress tests. If this is true, I fail to see the point of releasing the whole cpu =)

RoadfRash

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2001, 05:53:00 AM »
-ammo-, should you choose to build your own before you buy anything get yourself a good ground strap and always wear it while touching anything to do with your computer, nothing worse than looking at all the cool stuff your hard work has bought and then find out it doesnt work after you fire it up due to an ESD discharge, get your power supply in hook your ground strap to the frame of the case and your ready to start building, you'll have to plug your power supply A/C cord into a wall socket to pick up your house ground return, a lotta folks pooh pooh ESD but I have seen it do its dirty work all to often working in component engineering, you may not even feel a static shock but you may unwittingly blow up your cpu handling it while your body is ungrounded, so do yourself a great big favor right off the bat!

Offline Sky Viper

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.no54squad.com
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2001, 07:20:00 AM »
I'll build ya one.

Tell me what you want:  I'll find you the lowest priced parts, assemble, install OS, and desired software, test and burn in for 12 hours, and ship it to your door.

Email me if you are interested.  

Viper
sales@siteviper.com