Author Topic: Donations request  (Read 1614 times)

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
Donations request
« on: December 11, 2010, 01:54:04 PM »
First, let me copy and paste what I wrote on the 125th Spartan forums:

A long time ago, in a galax....oops, wrong story.

But, 22 years ago, in a city not to far from here, two kids gave up their paternal rights to their newborn daughter, in hopes that the receiving parents would be able to support her and raise her in an environment that was a bit more stable than their own. Not a birthday, nor even a month, nary even a day went by without one of them wondering and waiting for some kind of word of the well-being or whereabouts of the girl they named Tracy Ann.

6 years later, a letter is returned with a note from the new homeowner stating that the family had moved. She didn't know where too, but had found a 1" x 1" picture of a small girl while cleaning the house and she included this picture with her response, knowing that it was the daughter that they had so sought to get in touch with.

Skipping forward to October of 2006, the expectations of contact begin to grow as the child is now 18 years old and an 18 year old promise between mothers for the child to be aware of her adoptive status brings hope. Internet searches, MY Space, Facebook and other attempts to contact the now young adult provide nothing but frustration.

Now Tuesday, December 7, 2010 shall now be known as more than a day of infamy, since the long lost daughter on that day successfully made contact with her paternal parents and sister.

Sarah Jane (the name given upon signing the adoption papers) contacted me through facebook. Her message "I don't know if you remember me, but I think I am your daughter, please let me know"

I'm not normally the facebook kind of person, but for the last 3 night, yes, my prettythang was planted at the computer. She spent some time chatting to Stephanie and SWkiljoy over the last few days too.

Sarah is married to Dustin and they have two beautiful daughters, Lexi and Cassie, and they still live in the great state of Oklahoma. (i had to get some sarcasm in here somewhere) We spent well over an hour on the phone with them last night. Lexi, who is 4, called me her new pawpaw. <tears> Cassie at 10 months could be heard in the background, but well, you know.

It's weird becoming a grandfather, and I did it 4 years ago without knowing. Sue and I are now thinking of a vacation in the great st, er, Oklahoma next year because they REALLY want to meet us.

<S> My Brothers

What I am hoping for is to see if we can get together to assemble a computer for them.  My financial situation doesn't allow for me to be able to contribute too much, in fact, if I hadn't received the free 3 month certificates at the Dayton gathering, I might not have been able to play for the last few months.

No need for an uber game comp, but just something that will give them access to the internet and play some educational games for the 4 year old.

I just talked to TD and he he donate the case, OS and assembly.

Looking for a full system including mouse, keyboard and monitor.  If you can help, either post it or PM TilDeath and I.

Thanks.

SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
Re: Donations request
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 05:50:16 PM »
Touching story sir.   :salute

I have a labtop if nothing else works for you however idk if my parents would give it away.
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Buzzard7

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 09:13:19 PM »
PM sent to TD
I may have some drives and maybe a vid card need to rip a couple of machines apart to see what they have. I know one or two are in good working order as is. They are of older tech p4 423 and 478 one has rambus memory. Not sure if that would help but I know there may be drives available.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 09:19:01 PM by Buzzard7 »

Offline DaCoon

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 09:43:04 PM »
Hey Dragon, I have a few extra wired keyboards and mice that I could donate.    P.M. me and we'll see what we can do for getting it to you.     :salute
AKDaCoon of the Arabian Knights

MA & FSO 😎

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 10:01:07 PM »
I'll bust Rich a call tomorrow.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 10:26:18 PM »
Guys if you could post here what you have available we can see as a group the components available and whats needed.  My suggestion is input and output devices be shipped directly to the end user.  This way we are not paying shipping twice.  I have an old working system here too that I could ship on Monday, but I was hoping we could maybe piece together a half decent system.  I can get P-4 Socket 478 CPU's for about 10 bucs (new).  This would make a very fast system GHz wise, so we are seeking a good working order socket 478 MB.

One person offered to donate 25.00, if we got a few offers  like this I can build a new system for about 225 to 275.  I will donate the case, OS and some monies if we can get some donations.  PLEASE DO NOT send me money out of the blue.  If you can do something cash/check/mo send me a PM and I will keep a running tab and see how close we can get.

A monitor is going to be the hardest item we will need.  If we can part together a system and get a few money donations we maybe able to purchase and ship a new monitor.  NewEgg has monitors starting at about 90 with shipping.

I know the economy is not the best right now, but this is the season of giving.  What goes around, comes around, lets see what we can do as a community.

:salute All

TD

EDIT:  Ms. TD has told me she will donate $50.00
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 10:29:40 PM by TilDeath »

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 10:40:57 PM »
I'm in

Let me know
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 11:57:49 PM »
I've got 2 1gig ram sticks (ddr2), a 500w psu, and a 9400gt gfx card sitting around. 
AAJagerX - XO - AArchAAngelz

trainers.hitechcreations.com

Offline DaCoon

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 02:00:40 AM »
I'm pretty sure I could scrounge $25 up. Send me a PM where I can mail a check.     :cheers:
AKDaCoon of the Arabian Knights

MA & FSO 😎

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 07:58:50 AM »
I made a thread a while back on part I have I don't need I would be willing to part with for free since it's a good cause. :)

Biostar NF61S-M2 TE Ver. 6.x motherboard

* Socket : AM2
    * Support Dual Channel DDR2 533/667/800 MHz
      # 2 x DDR2 DIMM Memory Slot
      # Max. Supports up to 4GB Memory
    * 2 x PCI Slots
      # 1 x PCI-E x1 Slot
      # 1 x PCI-E x16 Slot
    * NVIDIA GeForce 6100 GPU, On Board Graphic Max. Memory Share Up to 256MB

AMD Athlon X2 4850e with heatsink and fan

* Socket                   AM2
    * Core Speed (MHz)    2500
    * Voltages                 1.15/1.20/1.25V
    * Max Temps (C)        78'C
    * Wattage                 45 W
    * L1 Cache Size (KB)   128
    * L1 Cache Count       2
    * L2 Cache Size (KB)   512
    * L2 Cache Count       2

Full ATX case.

* Risers included
    * Black exterior, silver interior
    * No Damage, hinged front panel door covering 5.25" bays
    * Optional fans 1x 120mm {Clear, 4-pin}, 1x 80mm {black, 3-pin}
    * 4x 5.25" Bays
    * No PSU included

I also have a 17" MAG Innovations monitor but it should be noted it's not in great condition.
The screen will turn green if the cord is not properly supported (loose wire) and there is very light black haze near the top right of the screen (barely noticeable in most lighting).

* LCD
    * Non-Wide Screen
    * 17" at 1280x1024 resolution max
    * VGA

Raptor did mention possibly wanting the monitor but have yet to hear from him again.
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 08:48:59 AM »
@1701  The monitor will be a hard item to come by.  Can you call me at when its good for you to discuss the GREEN screen, or I can call you if you PM me your digits

TD
Rich
678-634-0431

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 08:57:08 AM »
Rich

I have a computer that just needs all the data backed up and it would be ready to roll. It is a AMD based system that is less than 2 years old.

Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 09:58:43 AM »
Unless someone has a better monitor to donate I have this one ready to go.  TD and I talked and he said he'll get the cord fixed so that's covered.
When asked, it can be shipped out. :)

<S>
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 10:32:14 AM »
 No parts, but would like to help Pm sent Rich
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 10:43:11 AM by mbailey »
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2010, 12:18:07 PM »
PM sent TD for the monitor and vid card and power supply, if that isnt needed let me know what you need and i can and will get it.
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail