Author Topic: Not really a problem but  (Read 618 times)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
Not really a problem but
« on: December 29, 2010, 03:14:26 PM »
Every now and then in the AVA I see what I call a 'phantom' plane in the haze or the clouds.  The first four or five times it happened, and it doesn't happen often,  I shrugged it off to my insanity.  Last night I was in an LA5 going at it with Tree and be danged if I didn't see the outline of a plane right at my 11 for just a fraction of a second then bam it was gone.  I think I've got it on film somewhere but I was wondering if anybody else has ever seen this or do I need to up my meds?
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
Re: Not really a problem but
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 03:27:10 PM »
Were you by chance near the ground, perhaps climbing up the side of a hill?  I see a funky "phantom" plane (which is actually my own shadow on the ground) when I'm zooming up a hillside and low to the ground.  It seems the ground shadow routine goes wonky under those conditions.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 03:38:12 PM »
nope it's in the clouds or the haze.. I'll try to find the film of it tonight. 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 11:21:18 PM »
the DHBG calls them UFOs :P
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline warhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 06:30:07 AM »
I have seen this as well a few times this year.  It seems to always be in close proximity to an airfield.  The outlines appear to be a large bomber, I just assumed they were drones who had broken lose from the formation. 
warhed
=Wings of Terror=

"Give me sheep, or give me death!"

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 10:30:52 AM »
bingo exactly what I've seen.  next time it happens I'm closing the film right where I 'saw' it and see if it shows up.

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 07:54:44 PM »
the DHBG flew a mission a few weeks ago and when we hit around 16,000 we saw a group of "UFO's". I have the film somewhere I'll have to find it. People were calling them out over squad vox.  :joystick:
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 08:52:19 AM »
hmmmm perhaps my continual tongue in cheek 'wish' for Foo Fighters is being granted  :devil

Offline Dr_Death8

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 11:08:17 AM »
Actually had it occur last night but wasn't filming (LWA Orange). Couple of squaddies and I were doing an NOE toward an NME base and was passed by 2-3 flickering "shadow" planes. No it could not have been our own shadows as sun was off right wingtips. These things were hauling but and flew past us too. Only thing I could think of is maybe way off in the distance some other planes shadows projected to the sector we were in?? :noid

At the time, the 4 of us were the only ones in the sector.  :salute

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 04:33:38 AM »
I have seen this I think. I always chalked it up to a user I had been in contact with that had been flying but got shot down and moved to another location and what I was seeing was him warping across the map. I have actually seen tanks warp from a spawn camp all the way to the tower and I have always been curious about what would happen if that warping icon crossed paths with an airplane or vehicle.

:headscratch:
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Dr_Death8

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 11:56:39 AM »
I know what you mean as I have seen this before too, but not too often.  These were actually shadows of a plane (bombers) which were not really there. I was thinking more in the lines of shadows being cast from another area to where we just happen to be. Maybe the distance a shadow is being cast is not limited and therefor the game is showing the shadow where it would appear, even though the plane is not visible... If that makes sense.  :rolleyes: :salute
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 11:59:07 AM by Dr_Death8 »

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 12:34:30 PM »
I'm just happy knowing that I'm not the only one seeing things.  I don't mind being insane but hallucinations would be upsetting. :)