Author Topic: fire for belly landings  (Read 2240 times)

Offline Tom5572

• Silver Member
fire for belly landings
« on: December 30, 2010, 02:30:28 AM »
It is a thought.

Many WWII fliers died when belly landing on the runway because a spark ignited their fuel.  What if it were coded into the game where some belly landings would be catastrophic for the pilot and plane.  The possibility of a catastrophic belly landing would be reduced by a grass belly landing at the field coupled with a reduced ditch penalty (the reduced penalty would only count if the plane was ditched within the limits of the air field).  The pilot who had the most damage on the plane attempting belly land would get the kill.   

If a plane were belly landed with a fuel leak the risk of a catastrophic fire would be increased.  If a plane belly landed with no or minimal damage the risk would be there but randomized.  I think it would create another element of immersion to game play.  This would create an incentive to actually landing instead of bellying in every time.  One could belly land without penalty or with, it would be a risk they would have to assume. 

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
Re: fire for belly landings
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 08:00:26 AM »
I have slid in and lit her up or died before.  I think this may already be coded.  Waiting for Lusche the AH Librarian...
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 08:14:31 AM »
and a chart... oh I hope he does a line chart on this one.. I like line charts
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 08:17:05 AM »
It all depends on how fast you're going and your rate of descent whether you blow up or catch fire.  Nothing needs to be changed.  I don't need the randomness of "a fire because you landed on your belly" - it would add nothing to immersion.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 08:17:20 AM »
I am going to say no, I belly land every plane expescially one with damage, I belly land 262's every time don't wanna waste the time to wait fr the stop. Also I think it will just make more people angry to try land there planes
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline 7super61

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 08:24:37 AM »
what about the Me-163? when you take off your drop your gears then you have to use a slide pad. What then?
Im accually vPHANTOM...vulchvulchvulchvul chvulchvulchvulchvulchvulchvu lchvulchvulchvulchvulchvulchv ulchvulchvulchvulchvulchvulch vulchvulchvulch

Offline Max6

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 08:44:08 AM »
if you have enough damage, you can take fire when landing.

I did in a Zero.   :joystick:

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 09:37:02 AM »
I was taught in the event of a real crash landing, to try and aim between two trees in order to rip the wings off the aircraft to both slow you down faster, and distance yourself from the fuel tanks. Doubt this wish will ever come true, but I like it :)
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 04:59:36 PM »
There is a rather horrifying description of such a belly landing in "Terror in the Starboard Seat".
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 07:57:41 PM »
what about the Me-163? when you take off your drop your gears then you have to use a slide pad. What then?

If you've taken the time to fly the 163, you'd have known that by the time you land a 163 there isn't any fuel.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Tom5572

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 01:16:56 AM »
I have read about them and they were horrifying.  The 163 was designed to land on its skid so it would be exempted from this.  I belly land myself often as well, particularly when landing at an airfield with many bad guys.  My intent was for a little more added realism. 

If you try to land faster than 180 you will crash and die, if you land with too much decent, you will die.

I am looking for the added realism.  I belly land often enough myself. 
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 11:41:01 AM »
If you've taken the time to fly the 163, you'd have known that by the time you land a 163 there isn't any fuel.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, yet I learned atomized fuel is more flammable than liquid fuel.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline thomace

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2010, 12:41:19 PM »
 hmmm...I think it's always a fine balance between reality and playability...afterall...REAL war is hardly fun... :aok

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2010, 03:26:34 PM »
nm

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay