Author Topic: Challenges to the DA..  (Read 5949 times)

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Re: Challenges to the DA..
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2010, 08:38:07 AM »
Fellow AHers..

Maybe I'm not up to speed w/respect to current MA etiquette (well, if there is any to speak of :lol).
In the olden days it was custom to challenge somebody from the MA to a duel in the DA, and usually this wish was granted.

It looks like this has pretty much disappeared and often gets refused. I think that's pretty sad because it used to be a win/win: you either got satisfaction and your opponent learns something or you get whopped mercilessly and .. learn something.

Is this tradition gone?

Nah, you got the tradition wrong.  Traditionally, someone first starts the name calling.  Then they tell you how good they are.  The next step is to tell you how they own you (from the tower).  Final step is for you to say hey, how about you teach me a few things in the DA?  And then . . . . . . . <crickets>. . . . . . . <crickets>. . . . . . . <crickets>. . . . . . . <crickets>. . . . . . . <crickets>. . . . . . . <crickets>. . . . . . . <crickets>. . . . . . . <crickets>. . . . . . . <crickets>. . . . . . . <crickets>

:old:

Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2010, 09:39:12 AM »
but hell guys, don't any of you just go to the DA with friends to have some good 1vs1 fights?

it's not all about ego, it's often just for the joy of uninterupted fights. None of the regulars I see in the DA dueling care who wins the most. It's all about the fight and the laughs for us.

kinda ironic that when you do stuff like that you get accused of all sorts, when that practice gets put to the test.  :rolleyes:
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2010, 09:47:42 AM »
Why go to the DA? All that will happen is someone in a perk ride he can't afford in the MA will come along in F-3 mode spraying the sky with cannons making impossible 90% defections shots. what's the point?

Offline leitwolf

• Nickel Member
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2010, 09:52:37 AM »
The whole DA challenge thing is so artificial and a waste of time.

Half, no 75%, of the MA/DA fight is the confusion and facing a non even set of circumstances and how you deal with them. The "we'll fly this at this alt and merge at this alt" is manure.

Sometimes the bug can crack the windscreen if the bug tries hard enough.

And the callouts smack of bad manners. You're as good as your last fight - get on with it. I don't have a lift on my credit card every 28 days for someone to tell me how good they are given an artificial set of events in an already artificial game. Or how my plane is too easy or how I'm a noob, retard or any other term of endearment.

Oh! and I hope the new year is kind to all - haven't we got a great game to play?

That's what my initial post was hinting at: If there is a consent that DA challenges are viewed as childish, I'll stop issuing them, no problem.
However, in a distant past, it used to be a bit like duels between gentlemen.. You have been offended because somebody did something 'wicked' (make up your reason here: ____  :D) and demanded a duel for besmirching your honour.

While the initial part may be fueled by anger, once in the DA and your cartoon bottom on the line, the egos are gone.. Now, I agree that just as the days of 20 paces at dawn are gone, we don't necessarily need duel challenges in the MA. Unlike RL, however, we get to keep what we've learned from them and with what you call "artificial" all the other excuses (You had alt/better plane/gang/cat on keyboard/..) go right out of the window as well.
veni, vidi, vulchi.

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2010, 10:04:55 AM »
Whenever I see some guy that gets sore about losing and starts stomping his feet, I'm reminded of this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV_jHKNyU-Y   

:rofl Melvin
See Rule #4

Offline leitwolf

• Nickel Member
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2010, 10:10:44 AM »
 :lol
veni, vidi, vulchi.

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2010, 10:11:35 AM »
 In today society the honorable and manly Duel, has been replaced by the Lawsuit. I wish that were not the case for I am sure I would have worn out the barrel of my dueling pistol by now lol.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2010, 10:13:29 AM »
Honestly? Not for me anymore. I have nothing to prove on a game. I just enjoy hanging out and joking with some bros now. Thats mainly why I log on. Talk a little smack, die again, rinse repeat. Its about fun now. Not who I can or cant "own". Those days are gone.

Then I stand corrected....my apologies Bip

Changeup
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Amaazee

• Nickel Member
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2010, 10:15:44 AM »
4 Pages.  :huh
[In-Game: Amaazee]
Road to Rangoon 2011
Überprüfung Sechs

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2010, 10:18:31 AM »
4 Pages.  :huh
Not quite yet but its getting close....just sayin... ;)
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2010, 10:38:56 AM »
I find that most DA challenges are from angry, clueless seals who are not worth the time it would take to club them, or egos trying to prove that they are the 'next big thing'.  It usually starts with someone who has been in the game longer than themselves, pulling off a move which they are incapable of understanding.  This ignorance leads to anger.  This anger leads to a DA challenge.

QFT.  The thing is no one worth fighting would bother challenging you to a duel in the DA.  That said I've always accepted, the other player has always shown up, I can't remember any of them beating me and we've always left on good terms, a reversal of what put us there in the first place.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2010, 10:42:52 AM »
Why go to the DA? All that will happen is someone in a perk ride he can't afford in the MA will come along in F-3 mode spraying the sky with cannons making impossible 90% defections shots. what's the point?

First of all, the distinction should be made between DA-Furball lake, and DA-1v1s.  Typically when someone calls out "DA", it implies One Versus One fights, same plane, same alt.  And it is not a waste of time.  It gives you a better intrinsic sense on creating angles, aiming timing, and just general uberness.  Not many players want to spend the time and effort it takes to become really good and effective in the MA and I totally understand that, but calling it a waste of time is off base.

If you wanted to, you could basically look at the DA as practice for the game, which is the MA.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2010, 11:12:44 AM »
I have never "gone off" on anyone here or challenged someone to duel me from the main for any other reason.  I have gone to the DA a few times and for me it was just ok.  I think a large part of flying as if this is a sim is the SA that is imperitive for survival and kills in the main.  I have been challenged many times, always after I have made a kill that the killed thought was unfair.  I'm sorry I'm not going to do that.  If I had wanted duels I would have already been flying in the DA.  I like flying in the MA and all that it entails.

I look at it this way.

You get a kill on me in the main and I challenge you to an online game of chess because I can pwn you there and it will inflate my ego back to the previous level it was at before you punctured it.

Ain't gunna happen gents <S>.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2010, 11:25:07 AM »

You get a kill on me in the main and I challenge you to an online game of chess because I can pwn you

Say when  :D
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2010, 11:46:14 AM »
Duels are seldom satisfying. It probably depends on the person. If a mouth challenges a non-mouth, and loses, the non-mouth probably wont gloat enough to make it worth it. If the mouth wins, the non-mouth is probably immune to the mouth's gloating. If 2 mouths go at it, the loser usually ends up brushing it off like it didnt happen. Or, worse, acts friendly. Yuck. Id prefer anyone who calls a duel and loses, has to leave the game...forever. :)

~AoM~