Author Topic: ram=/= kill anymore?  (Read 3372 times)

Offline TinmanX

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Re: ram=/= kill anymore?
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2011, 11:53:23 AM »
i survived both rams with just an aileron lost, both spits lost there life.

so, you were about to say...?
Surviving your own dweebery does not negate the fact that it was dweebery but you're doing such a fine job of embarrassing yourself here that you don't need my help anymore.
"...and then we discovered why. Why this 'Cheech', who had fought with gods and demons, why he flew the Zeke. He was being kind, giving us a chance to run away."
Aces High Films
I'm the "timid" "runner" in the zeke "BnZing" you.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2011, 12:00:12 PM »
For the program, there ain't no such things as rams. There are just collisions, and kill crediting is and always has been completely independent from this.
If someone dies from a collision, the kill credit for him goes to the player that did most damage to him (by guns, rockets, bombs). If he was not damaged by any enemy weapons, it's a proxy for the closest enemy player at the moment of death (if inside proxy kill range)

Again I learned somehting new. I assumed my plane was counted as a weapon, and damage to a colliding aircraft was credited to me. But you saying this is NOT true.

Thanks for the info

<S>
Who is John Galt?

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2011, 12:38:58 PM »
opinion=/=fact.

why is it lame? because i didnt let the 2 spitdweebs team up on me for an easy kill? that i out manuevered them, set them both up for a RAM, the only chance i had to putting them down? i didnt just fly straight and let them each take turns shooting my winchester plane until finally i blew up, but instead used quick thinking and some witty flying moves to postion myself to RAM them as they tryed to HO me, is that what you mean by "lame"?

It is lame because you chose to do it.  I've rammed many times. I never wanted to.  I misjudged, or my controls were locked because I was too fast, or my flying surfaces were damadged and I could not manuver.  You had lots of choices, you could have had some fun and maybe tried to escape and taken that escape as a victory, but you wanted to ram because...................... ...?
Wag more, bark less.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2011, 12:52:01 PM »
Personally, I find it more fun to try to outfly them and have them auger or killshoot themselves (if more than one are fighting for the kill).  Intentional ramming is nothing but lame.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2011, 01:01:10 PM »
Yall did not take into consideration, possibly because of the plane that he was in, that he may be japanese. :D

Although the germans did ram some bombers from time to time.... on purpose.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline rvflyer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2011, 01:41:30 PM »
The fact that you survived doesn't negate the fact that ramming in any situation is lame.

WW ll ramming was a last ditch effort to bring down nmy aircraft and was used many times. One example
====================================
On 10 May 1945 over Okinawa, Marine Lieutenant Robert R. Klingman and three other pilots of VMF-312 climbed to intercept a Kawasaki Ki-45 Toryu ("Nick") twin-engined heavy fighter flying reconnaissance at 25,000 feet (7,600 m), but the "Nick" began climbing higher. Two of the FG-1D Corsairs ceased their pursuit at 36,000 feet (11,000 m), but Marine Captain Kenneth Reusser and his wingman Klingman continued to 38,000 feet (12,000 m), expending most of their .50 caliber ammunition to lighten their aircraft. Reusser scored hits on the "Nick's" port engine, but ran out of ammunition, and was under fire from the Japanese rear gunner. Klingman lined up for a shot at a distance of 50 feet (15 m) when his guns jammed due to the extreme cold. He approached the "Nick" three times to damage it with his propeller, chopping away at his opponent's rudder, rear cockpit, and right stabilizer. The Toryu spun down to 15,000 feet (4,600 m) where its wings came off. Despite missing five inches (13 cm) from the ends of his propeller blades, running out of fuel and having an aircraft dented and punctured by debris and bullet holes, Klingman safely guided his Corsair to a dead-stick landing.[21] He was awarded the Navy Cross.[22]
==========================
Then there are those that are going to say but this isn't real war, they are usually the same guys that scream on 200 learn some ACMs lol
Tour 70 2005 to present

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2011, 02:01:12 PM »
Yall did not take into consideration, possibly because of the plane that he was in, that he may be japanese. :D

Although the germans did ram some bombers from time to time.... on purpose.

You forgot the Russians.

Has anyone actually ever tried to purposely ram someone before without the head-on ram? Its rather quite difficult to pull off. I attempted to ram someone the other day because i was outta ammo with 5 kills and no friendlies around. So I knew the only way i would be able to land without getting vulched on landing was to ram the only enemy plane that was there hoping that with the AH collision model i might be able to fly away lmao. btw the field was de-acked so i had no help there. unfortunately i was unable to ram and got vulched but it sure was fun tryin to  :banana:

I've done it.

I figure it was hit or miss (yay, pun).  Out of ammo, skewered a goon.  He went down, I went down.  I abasically flew straight through him from behind.

opinion=/=fact.

why is it lame? because i didnt let the 2 spitdweebs team up on me for an easy kill? that i out manuevered them, set them both up for a RAM, the only chance i had to putting them down? i didnt just fly straight and let them each take turns shooting my winchester plane until finally i blew up, but instead used quick thinking and some witty flying moves to postion myself to RAM them as they tryed to HO me, is that what you mean by "lame"?

You could hae used your L33T flyin skilz to outmaneuver them and either make your escape or make them auger.  But, naaaaaaa.

Got to love you guys.  You show en example of how to do it the wrong way, naturally it fails, and therefore it does not work lol.

Since you guys are the experts on the subject, can you explain to me how I can collide when someone dives on my six, take tail wheel, aileron, and  PW damage and he gets no collision message?  Can you show me a pic that explains that situation including the contact points that caused the damage?  I am really interested in the tail wheel taking damage from a plane coming from above lol

There is an animated gif of Lusche's pics that show the film views of both aircraft superimposed.  It makes the whole "one person sees a collision, one doesn't" thing pretty obvious.

The "pull up in front of them" move works just as randomly.

wrongway

71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2011, 02:11:52 PM »

There is an animated gif of Lusche's pics that show the film views of both aircraft superimposed.  It makes the whole "one person sees a collision, one doesn't" thing pretty obvious.

The "pull up in front of them" move works just as randomly.

wrongway

Yep, as I said.  Got to love you guys.  Based on the last line of the above quote it is obvious that you don't really understand what is happening, but you are here explaining it to others  :lol

Not that what ever you posted answers any of my questions but hey, your post count went up by 1 lol

There is nothing random about it.  In the snails example you will be the one getting hurt and if you are lucky both of you.  In my examples the other guy takes the damage.  But, it is due to his bad SA and not because the collision system has any problems so its all good :aok
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2011, 10:35:15 PM »
Since you guys are the experts on the subject, can you explain to me how I can collide when someone dives on my six, take tail wheel, aileron, and  PW damage and he gets no collision message?  Can you show me a pic that explains that situation including the contact points that caused the damage?  I am really interested in the tail wheel taking damage from a plane coming from above lol

Just a guess,but perhaps it's because he hit you from inside your plane.   In a high speed collision did the the gap in position vectors being transmitted cause him to be a foot away in one packet and then inside your plane on the next one? hence he missed the vertical stab, rudder, etc.

Just a guess.
Who is John Galt?

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2011, 10:50:50 PM »
Still waiting for you to prove ghosth otherwise, kid :old:
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Tarstar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2011, 11:08:41 PM »
i dont argue much with cranky adults who believe age=wisdom nomatter how many times they are proven wrong.

:huh  Yeah but ummmmmm... Ramming is Dweeby.. Lame.. Skill less.. etc etc etc.......... Try the guns  :old:

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2011, 11:12:06 PM »
It is lame because you chose to do it.  I've rammed many times. I never wanted to.  I misjudged, or my controls were locked because I was too fast, or my flying surfaces were damadged and I could not manuver.  You had lots of choices, you could have had some fun and maybe tried to escape and taken that escape as a victory, but you wanted to ram because...................... ...?

uh, ok. so me, in a p47D25,no ammo, being HO'ed by 2 spitdweebs with no friendlys around....where am i going to "escape" to? fly straight, hit WEP and hope i outrun them? no, they'd catch me easily and put 20mms up my arse.

try to outclimb them? they both had the E advantage, i would of just stalled out and got torn apart on my fall down.

outdive them? we were pretty much on the deck,maybe i should of turned my jug into a sub, and just "escaped" underwater,huh?

try to get a manuever kill against 2 spits who are obviously more nimble than my clumsy p47D25?

so i pretty much had two options.
1. "shake the stick" like a "noob" until the spits finally ran out of ammo.
or
2. the next time they went for a HO shot, duck to avoid it, then pull up at the last second hard to RAM them.

if i'd of done #1, i'd of heard an endless whine over all channel about how "noobish" i fly.

and now ppl are calling me "lame" for choosing the option which kept me flying, and them not.

pretty much sums up the meaning to "whatever you do, your gonna get called a dweeb for it"  :rolleyes:

Offline Tarstar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2011, 11:15:40 PM »
now ppl are calling me "lame" for choosing the option which kept me flying, and them not.

No.... I'd say you pretty much announced it, really..  :lol

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2011, 11:17:54 PM »

:rofl
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2011, 11:24:45 PM »

"announced it" as a question, which people have  choosen to attack like its a personal insult to them.