Author Topic: 109 E model questions.  (Read 250 times)

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
109 E model questions.
« on: January 12, 2011, 08:09:59 AM »
just curious, came across this cool looking picture of a bf109E-3 earlyer, and im curious what were the big differences between the E-3 and E-4 models? (i do know allready the E-4 was the most widely produced, and sold to foriegn countries)

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
Re: 109 E model questions.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 08:28:37 AM »
The definitive Emil variant, the "Bf-109E-4", was very similar to the Bf-109E-3, but the MG-FF wing cannon were updated to MG-FF/M cannon. The MG-FF/M was externally identical to the MG-FF, but had a "softened" recoil mechanism to allow it to fire devastating high-explosive "mine" shells. The softened recoil mechanism also resulted in a higher rate of fire.

http://www.vectorsite.net/avbf109_1.html
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 08:36:07 AM »
http://www.vectorsite.net/avbf109_1.html

so if i read that correctly, the only difference between e3 and e4 was engine power?

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 08:48:18 AM »
so if i read that correctly, the only difference between e3 and e4 was engine power?
With better cannons and better engine power, pilots of the E4 also got more women  ;)
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 09:15:42 AM »
They were all but identical. E-3s introduced some changes over the E-1 models (mostly the 20mm cannon in the wings instead of 7mm MGs), but very quickly the E-4s arrived with squared canopies, armor behind the pilot in the canopy, and the slightly improved MG/FFm. However, the E-3s were almost all retrofit immediately to the E-4 standard.

In almost all cases the only real difference is the rounded canopy vs the squared canopy. Those were also interchangable, as some E-4s received rounded canopies to replace damaged ones in the field, and some E-3s vice versa.

In short, the same plane.

I don't know what's up with that artwork. Can't really tell if it's art or 3D. It's wonky and funky for too many reasons to catalog. IMO just "wrong" sums it up.