Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
Re: LA-7
« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2011, 07:49:46 PM »
that would be....

tilt...

:bolt:

If tilt is the resident Lavochkin authority then I'll take his word for it.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2011, 08:00:42 PM »

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2011, 08:28:21 PM »
Speaking of good La 7 drivers

He was a better D-11 stick on top of it. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline sam367

• Zinc Member
« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2011, 11:58:18 PM »

Comrades are mistaken , Lavochkin’s never had droop tahnks. Once fool of vodka we vood never drop them.

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2011, 12:04:45 AM »
Comrades are mistaken , Lavochkin’s never had droop tahnks. Once fool of vodka we vood never drop them.

:huh
Army of Muppets

Offline sunfan1121

• Gold Member
« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2011, 02:02:17 AM »
:lol
A drunk driver will run a stop sign. A stoned driver will stop until it turns green.

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2011, 05:10:01 AM »
What?  Lowering RPM's is one of the best ways to extend your range...  That's why a lot of aircraft's cruise settings at altitude are RPMs down, full throttle.  Look at an E6B when you come back to max cruise RPM, even without changing throttle position, you gain a TON of range.

Higher RPMs = more explosions per second (which means more fuel per second).
feathering only can happen once your prop cant accelerate you anymore (aka you can feather at lower speeds but your throttle must be cut or pulled way back also. Slowing RPMs isnt technically feathering is it?
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline STEELE

• Nickel Member
« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2011, 06:35:57 AM »
La5 feels better to me, especially under 200
The Kanonenvogel had 6 rounds per pod, this is not even close to being open for debate.

Offline --)SF----

• Copper Member
      • Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2011, 09:32:57 AM »
La5 feels better to me, especially under 200

LA5 is definitely a better turn fighter than the 7, it's slow speed stall characteristics are not nearly as severe, but it doesn't have the stunning acceleration and top end that the 7 has, plus you get 2/3 of the fire power.

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #100 on: January 20, 2011, 05:30:43 PM »
If tilt is the resident Lavochkin authority then I'll take his word for it.

No dont do that, read up on it find as many sources as you can......... ask questions, challenge stuff. Where I have data I will share it. I am sure there is still new stuff to find on Lavochkins............ (authorative roll rate data for one...............)

e.g the AH fuel tanks are modelled such that each can feed the engine independantly. This is an error (or a function to simplify COAD across differrng ac types)

Actually both wing tanks drained thru the centre tank via non return valves. So a bighole in the centre  tank drained all the aircrafts fuel! Actually this tank sat under the  rudder pedals directly behind the gear so serious damage in this area took all sorts of stuff out. The tanks were not pressurised beyond 1 bar plus what ever small increase that was earned from the cooled  exhaust gasses ducted to them. Hence the outer wing tanks drained via gravity/G not via a secondary pump/s.

The La5/F (or most of them) used cable control of all air control surfaces. It would have been a bit more "mushy" as a  result.
The La7/5FN  retained cable control for the rudder with the other surfaces controlled by a more positve rod & link system.
La 7 aelerons were improved with respect to balance making its controls lighter than the La5FN's.
Hence there should be a subtle difference in control fidelity between the La7 and the La5Fn as well as authority at higher speeds.

Some other consessions AH has had to make to make game play easier.

There were no toe brakes on the La5/7 just a lever on the joy stick that operated the master (pneumatic) brake valves via bowden cable.
There was no rear wheel stear from the rudder pedals (regardless of the position of the joy stick).

The La5 had a paddle Joystick very similar in grip to the Spit. Albeit that the left right movement also pivoted at floor level.

There were not "stepped" flap positions. Flaps were set by opening and closing a hydraulic valve.

As per many planes in AH the la7 did  have a semi automatic engine management system the fuel/air mixture /boost balance was set by a common lever.
On the la5FN (again most of them) boost and induction settings were achieve by the pilot balancing them..

The la7 had an under carraige 80mm longer than the La5Fn and did not give the hard landing bounce that was experienced on the La5FN (was reduced in later la5Fn series but not cured fully) due to better damping.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 05:32:36 PM by Tilt »
Ludere Vincere