Author Topic: What is your fram rate?  (Read 13848 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: What is your fram rate?
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2011, 09:36:27 PM »
If i turn off my vsync will i get a better FR then? I definently need that.

Yes. It has been known to cause issues with the game/your system, though.

No you will not! Seeing as your frame rate is under the 60 of the refresh rate of your monitor it will still show the frames you are getting...20, because you never reach the lock point as it is.

Offline jolly22

• Silver Member
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2011, 09:49:46 PM »

No you will not! Seeing as your frame rate is under the 60 of the refresh rate of your monitor it will still show the frames you are getting...20, because you never reach the lock point as it is.
Im lost....Turn it off or on for better FR....

3./JG 53 cheerleader - Battle Over The Winter Line - FLY AXIS - JRjolly

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2011, 09:56:37 PM »
  I hold a smooth 58-60 fps with it on.  However, if I turn it off, yeah I get some high numbers, but you want want to talk about stuttering.  I believe it is noted to turn off V-sync for frame-rate testing only, or something to that effect, on the video settings page. 

From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2011, 10:04:51 PM »

Leave Vsync on. in your case it is NOT going to matter. Leaving it on locks the frames to your monitors refresh rate. Your monitors refresh rate is most likely 60. Seeing as your computer will only run the game at 20 it will never see 60. On the other hand if you had a very strong video card it can run upwards of 200 frames, however when you let them run out like that it causes video tearing and other problems.

So turn Vsync off as a test just to see how fast your video card can run, but in the game, turn it on so it locks to your monitors refresh rate.

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2011, 12:37:17 AM »
30 FPS near the water (water effect on - 1024 textures - terrain and bump terrain on) and 40-50-60 FPS in the air with no massive furball and town attack where it can drops under 30 FPS.

:salute
mobilis in mobile

Offline BrownBaron

• Silver Member
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2011, 01:21:12 AM »

Fugi's right. Didn't see your FR was below 60. If you never reach Vsync's maximum FR, it will do nothing for you.
O Jagdgeschwader 77

Ingame ID: Johannes

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2011, 02:28:46 AM »
I was under the impression the human eye can only see 30 fps.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2011, 06:45:29 AM »
If you turn off vsync, the card will create as many frames as it can, and the framerate counter ingame will display what the card is doing, but it makes no difference to what actually is seen by the user on the monitor because the monitor cannot go faster than 60fps or whatever its refresh rate happens to be.

This isn't exactly true.  It does make a difference to what the user sees and it's not good.  As the graphics card out-paces the monitors ability to display frames the monitor simply grabs whatever the next frame is coming from the graphics card to display.  Interim frames from it's last display to this display are discarded.  This causes an effect called screen tearing which manifests itself as a horizontal jagged display and may also produce a stuttering effect.

Disabling vsync not only doesn't help, but may hurt your performance if your card is capable of a frame rate greater than your monitors refresh rate.  Disabling vsync if your card is not capable of maintaining your monitors refresh rate makes no difference.

BTW, 60 fps steady everything turned up no shadows.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2011, 08:52:21 AM »
All graphics off I get 25 to 40 on 15fr to screen freeze.

Offline doomed

• Copper Member
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2011, 01:14:31 PM »
Everything turned on to max rate and range and i get 59/60 solid.

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2011, 02:49:12 PM »
Leave Vsync on. in your case it is NOT going to matter. Leaving it on locks the frames to your monitors refresh rate. Your monitors refresh rate is most likely 60. Seeing as your computer will only run the game at 20 it will never see 60. On the other hand if you had a very strong video card it can run upwards of 200 frames, however when you let them run out like that it causes video tearing and other problems.

So turn Vsync off as a test just to see how fast your video card can run, but in the game, turn it on so it locks to your monitors refresh rate.

Turn my on and do not see the difference. 
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2011, 08:58:27 PM »
Turn my on and do not see the difference. 

Thats because 18-20 is waaaay below 60.  In your case it does nothing because your video card isn't good enough to exceed you monitor's refresh rate anyway.  On the other hand having it on doesn't hurt anything either.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2011, 06:26:08 AM »
mobilis in mobile

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2011, 09:42:04 AM »
Very bad ie a lot of planes over a town between 6-9 on average its around 19-26

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2011, 01:49:17 PM »
This isn't exactly true.  It does make a difference to what the user sees and it's not good.  As the graphics card out-paces the monitors ability to display frames the monitor simply grabs whatever the next frame is coming from the graphics card to display.  Interim frames from it's last display to this display are discarded.  This causes an effect called screen tearing which manifests itself as a horizontal jagged display and may also produce a stuttering effect.

Disabling vsync not only doesn't help, but may hurt your performance if your card is capable of a frame rate greater than your monitors refresh rate.  Disabling vsync if your card is not capable of maintaining your monitors refresh rate makes no difference.

BTW, 60 fps steady everything turned up no shadows.

Yeah, I was aware secondhand of the stuttering and tearing stuff, I've just never been in position to see it and also wasn't sure if it applied to LCD's.  I assume it does?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11