Author Topic: WW1  (Read 5635 times)

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
WW1
« on: January 17, 2011, 10:43:36 PM »
Been away a long time. Hope all are doing well.
Is the WW1 arena getting much use? Looks like a great idea.
 :cheers:

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
Re: WW1
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 10:44:45 PM »
theres a small group that loves WWI. but you rarely see more than 20 in the place. was fun for a while till u realized that theres four fighters and nothing to kill but fighters
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 10:47:26 PM »
BAR is being optimistic with 20.    :salute
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 08:25:16 AM »
with only four rides to choose from and strictly nothing but close-in cat fighting, the excitement only lasts so long.

On the off chance I get the urge to go in there I usually find two or three people logged on and more often than not they are AFK.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline willy928

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 09:29:36 AM »
WW1 looks to be a resource and server waste of time. I dont think they aquired anymore business or found it improved the Aces High experience!

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 10:20:08 AM »
Hey Mugzeee, great to see you again. WW1 can be a lot of fun, when there are people in there. It's pretty much pure dogfighting no base captures. The Dr1 seems to be the plane of choice. And BAR is being very optimistic with 20, usually it's <10.

I'm not flying a whole lot now, and when I do it's usually just scenarios, FSO's, and helping out in the TA.

:salute
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 10:31:48 AM »
WW1 looks to be a resource and server waste of time. I dont think they aquired anymore business or found it improved the Aces High experience!
sounds painful.  need a hug?
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 10:41:09 AM »
With two other good WW1 tittles on the market, I'm not surprised at this result.  Not many who love WW1 aviation will make AH their home when the wood and canvas crates will always play second-fiddle to WW2.

That said, there are some things I like about AH's WW1 flight models.  For example, the Camel requires left rudder in both left and right turns, which is absent in some other titles.  But I find it strange that it is so hard to put AH's WW1 aircraft into a spin, mostly they just mush into this strange leaf-like freefall.  With some exceptions, these crates were highly unstable and very pitch sensitive, and they killed many inexperienced pilots during take-off and landing accidents.

I remember the first Dawn of Aces beta, and even that had more to offer than the WW1 arena.  There were more aircraft, you could spot for artillery in the two-seaters, and there was a big-ass zeppelin ack-wagon that always generated some frantic fights.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 10:41:29 AM »
I remember visiting the WWI arena in Air Warrior from time to time, and I remember experiencing it the same as our current WWI arena.  Whenever I get the random inclination to fly in the arena, I end up facing the guys who fly no where but there, and get my butt handed to me.  Now I can handle getting beaten, and I can appreciate someone who knows their plane, but dieing every single time just isn't something I can do for very long.  I don't doubt I could learn, but I don't have a desire to spend the time needed to get there.  Not complaining, not making any suggestions, just my personal experience.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline 007Rusty

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 11:56:58 AM »
 :salute Good to see ya bud  :cheers:

C.O. 444TH AIR MAFIA
 WD40 (FS0)

Offline GreenEagle43

• Copper Member
      • http://www.dickweedhbg.com
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 12:10:28 PM »
lol.subtact the 0 from the 2. that's how many play the WWI1 arena.it would be OK if say. we had WWI tanks to battle in the trenches.
Recruiting Officer GrnEagle  DHBG
Dedicated to Bish Country. 16 YEARS of BOMBER SERVICE

AN Aces High BOMBER SQUADRON. www.dickweedhbg.com

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 12:56:03 PM »
Yeah, but the Central Powers only built a couple dozen tanks, and I don't mean types of tanks; I mean the total number! :lol
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 01:59:58 PM »

Looking at the facts after the first 3 months and the novelty wore off the kill stats for the WW1 arena seem to be averaging around the 8000 mark.

Last month;

Plane Name    Kills    Deaths    Kill/Death Ratio
D.VII                    1932   2099           0.92
Dr.I                    4293      3316           1.29
F.1                     814      1161           0.70
F.2B                     576      1039           0.55

Totals            7615      7615    

There is a hardcore group of guys dedicated to flying WW1 only, so yes it has added to the business and enhanced the overall AH experience.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 10:38:57 PM »
Looking at the facts after the first 3 months and the novelty wore off the kill stats for the WW1 arena seem to be averaging around the 8000 mark.

Last month;

Plane Name    Kills    Deaths    Kill/Death Ratio
D.VII                    1932   2099           0.92
Dr.I                    4293      3316           1.29
F.1                     814      1161           0.70
F.2B                     576      1039           0.55

Totals            7615      7615    

There is a hardcore group of guys dedicated to flying WW1 only, so yes it has added to the business and enhanced the overall AH experience.

:aok but until new stuff is added to it, it has stalled and not many new people will go there over WWII
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline SCTusk

• Copper Member
      • Skeleton Crew Squadron
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 01:11:26 AM »
  :)

........ need I say?..... ahh well, for the benefit of those who haven't seen my rabid rants on this topic; yes there's a small but very friendly and well mannered group of players in the WW1 arena, and that goes for ALL of the regulars, no exceptions. We get a number of new players pop in to check it out, some will get their butts kicked (especially if they don't chat) but most of the regulars will spare the time to 1v1 'soft' so they get a chance to learn and enjoy it. If they happen in on a 'busy' time they generally enjoy the modest furballs 'hardball' so need no encouragement there.

Rome wasn't built in a day, we have something worthwhile here which hardly impacts on AH resources at all (as far as I understand it) and boxes well above it's weight in terms of enjoyment for the players who live there. For all the funny talk about lawnmower engines and popguns remember that the dynamics of air combat are the same. The main difference in the WW1 arena is you get in closer and manoeuvre somewhat more carefully, but generally just as rapidly if not more so. It is I think how it was intended - a pure dogfighting arena, and at that it excels. Like the WW2 arenas, it represents in virtual space a method of warfare which exacted extreme sacrifice and demanded supreme skill at arms from those involved, so I think we can dispense with the kiddie pool metaphors.

Anyone with reasonable stick time in AH WW2 should be competitive in short time in WW1. With no newfangled leverthingies to worry about (flaps, gear, WEP etc) you can concentrate on the basic aviation of it, keeping the wings on in a diving turn and pulling that Dr1 into your sights. Think windsurfing as opposed to sailing a large yacht. So if you need a short break from the main war, there's a place where you can enjoy good company free of whining and personal attacks, where you can let the inner aviator loose, and nobody cares about your rank or score - just how well you fought that last duel.

As a final note, don't let one experience colour your judgement in there. Imagine how many players would stay in the WW2 arenas under those terms..... give it a few tries at different times of the day, meet some of the guys and let 'em know you're taking a first look. I'm fairly sure you'll get a warm welcome and a good introduction  :salute

"We don't have a plan, so nothing can go wrong." (Spike Milligan)

Read my WW1 online novel 'Blood and Old Bones' at http://www.ww1sims.com/
A tribute to WW1 airmen and the squadron spirit, inspired by virtual air combat.

SCTusk    ++ SKELETON CREW ++  founde