Author Topic: wingman tactics  (Read 5576 times)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: wingman tactics
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2011, 08:53:55 AM »
Cap~I realized after I posted he was actually talking about the AvA...duh........but ya ive done the no icon thing, remember "combat challenge"?  I was BUDO :-) I got more kills then anyone on ether side.....15 I think, but ya no icons is a completly different beast....but you know, I would not change how I fly, just be cranking the neck even more...or should I say thumb ;-)   

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2011, 09:19:32 AM »
Cap~I realized after I posted he was actually talking about the AvA...duh........but ya ive done the no icon thing, remember "combat challenge"?  I was BUDO :-) I got more kills then anyone on ether side.....15 I think, but ya no icons is a completly different beast....but you know, I would not change how I fly, just be cranking the neck even more...or should I say thumb ;-)   

you might.

i tend to fly a lot tighter on the con now, than i ever did before. once merged, i try to keep em within D800 or less. once they're past that, it's a lil harder to track em.

i never heard of combat challenge though......
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline grumpy37

• Silver Member
      • What I do
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2011, 09:22:47 AM »
my only problem with wingman tactics is most of the time my squaddies aren't around and i fly solo. that makes it difficult at best for me. i tend to be a victim alot and it usually causes me to leave.

unfortunately new people that have never been in the AVA will also fall prey to this. kinda leaves a bad taste in their mouths.

when alot of people are in there, its fine and perfectly suited for those wingman tactics. when the numbers are down those tactics tend to drive new people away. just saying.

i should have had you write my post, wouldnt have sounded like such a whine.....    This is exactly what i was trying to say.  I dont have nor have ever had a true "wingman"  I know nothing about wingman tactics except it gets my   :ahand to me on a regular basis.  

Im not trying to drive anyone out of the arena or to conform to my way of thinking trust me the AvA is still the best arena in the game and I want it to continue.  Thats why i said i need to change my way of play i guess and conform to the norm so to speak.  Maybe learning the wingman tactics will be a new challenge for me and thats what I need.
CO VF-10 "Grim Reapers"   Member JG54 in AVA

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2011, 09:31:59 AM »
Not finger pointing at anyone or telling anybody to think or feel like I do because, frankly, a lobotomy or major head trauma would be required for the normal person but here I go.

Being the simpleton I am I tend to think of it this way.

Low numbers say 10 or less and evenly matched I tend to fly 'nice' by this I mean cold guns merge, maneuver, and try to best the guy.  Numbers of 10 or more or lopsided I wing up if I can and try to help my wingmate get the kill and not get killed.  I tend to survive a lot more flying this way.

Squad challenges or really big numbers of 20 or more.  Kill everything in red.

A lot of guys have put tons of effort into bringing people to this arena on a regular basis.  I don't think I'd be going out on a limb by saying literally thousands of man hours both in game and out have been focused on making the arena more attractive and suddenly we're starting to see entire squads in here some nights and regular members of those squads on most nights.  

As the arena evolves and continues to grow (hopefully) things such as 2 + v 1, picking, hoing, vultching, etc are bound to be bi products of that growth.  It's just human nature and raging against it is tilting at windmills.  I'd personally prefer that it's kept to a minimum unless a specific goal is trying to be met.  You want to take a base? cool.  Knock down the ack, flatten the town, THEN vultch and try to capture.  Not that my preferences mean a hill of beans but that's my thought.  I'd rather have somebody up with me putting up a fight than sitting on the tarmac in a twisted heap of metal. Hoing? I try to avoid it at all costs but when you add in lag and that millisecond between pulling the trigger for a deflection shot on your end and a HO on his that millisecond makes all the difference.  Doesn't mean I feel good about it if I do it.  Ganging?  I'm guilty of being in a 4 v 1 every now and then.  I try to avoid that and generally pull out unless I think I've got a shot.  

But those are just my opinions such as they are.  Regardless I'll be upping Sunday night with my big bag of nothing piloting skills, attempting to beat the snot out of the other squad, and laughing my arse off as usual.  

<S>

I wish somebody in KS could road trip it down here so he could get an AH fix before he left that wonderful state. :D

Edit: Grump I didn't take it as a whine.  Knowing a little about you you don't strike me as the whining type <S> .  Offer still holds though.  I'm a horrible wingman but I'll fly with you any day :D
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 09:34:51 AM by Dichotomy »
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline NormH3

• Nickel Member
      • We do good things!
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2011, 09:33:17 AM »
and conform to the norm so to speak.

don't drag me into this  :cool:

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2011, 10:11:33 AM »
Low numbers say 10 or less and evenly matched I tend to fly 'nice' by this I mean cold guns merge, maneuver, and try to best the guy.  Numbers of 10 or more or lopsided I wing up if I can and try to help my wingmate get the kill and not get killed.  I tend to survive a lot more flying this way.
Squad challenges or really big numbers of 20 or more.  Kill everything in red.

+1

Grump I didn't take your post as a whine and didn't mean to insinuate you were whining. I was just expressing my surprise at your surprise of activity I've see often in the AVA. For years people have been wanting to get more people in the AVA. Higher numbers mean a larger variety of of game styles.
<S>

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline grumpy37

• Silver Member
      • What I do
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2011, 10:32:09 AM »
I know, guess i was just spoiled when it was smaller and more "controlled" if that makes any sense.  I enjoy the hell out of the big numbers but also miss the 1v1 when only 2 or 3 guys are on. 
CO VF-10 "Grim Reapers"   Member JG54 in AVA

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2011, 10:33:41 AM »
Cap~ combat challenge was a one night thing that happened in the SEA, and I believe that is why you guys now have no icons in the AvA.  It was not to long after that, when AvA took on the no icons.                                             Dich~man I would love to, sux my car is unregistered. How far are ya from Topeka?           

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2011, 11:08:46 AM »
504 miles according to Google  :aok
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2011, 11:20:16 AM »
damn thats a trip....1/3 of the way home. Close to it any way, its 1600+ miles back to NH.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2011, 11:52:38 AM »
damn thats a trip....1/3 of the way home. Close to it any way, its 1600+ miles back to NH.

I know man but it's nice to consider regardless.  Doors open any time if you and your family happen to wander through though :D

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2011, 12:09:02 PM »
I know, guess i was just spoiled when it was smaller and more "controlled" if that makes any sense.  I enjoy the hell out of the big numbers but also miss the 1v1 when only 2 or 3 guys are on.  

Grumpy,

As you know the small numbers scenario happens a majority of the time.  The great discussion generated in this thread about tactical formation flying, I.e. Wingman tactics, indicates that many are interested in flying tactically but don't know how to do it effectively.  It takes some dedicated effort to learn the basics and even more effort practicing to get the flow and timing down.  Once the basics are down pat, it's very rewarding to work in a tactical pair.  This is a skill that isn't learned by "winging" it, but requires reading and applying the basics of tactical flying with someone who has it down.

Jappa and I have been flying tactically for nearly four years.  We are a pair every time and always tactically mutually supporting each other, to include formation take offs and landings.  Through consistent practice, we are at a point where we know how each other is going to react in any situation.  Case in point.  Recently, I had to reload my operating system and because of incorrect drivers (I think) my in game vox and Teamspeak is inop. So, we have been flying tactually, comm out, with little negative effect.  So, if you are saddling up for that sweet guns shot on one of us, check six, the other is very near and closing.  :bolt:

Bottom line, it takes desire to learn it and dedication to perfect it and we are more than willing to help anyone that is interested.  Again, it's how each of us wants to use our $14.95 a month.

At you service, Gents!   :salute

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2011, 12:11:07 PM »
Dich~what can I say.......your a good friggin dude thats for sure, I look forward to the day I return to fly with ya.....you wouldnt want my family there its huge.....6 kids and me and the wife.....lol   thats a lotta grub in one day.....you should see my food bills wow.  Allthough I must say I do have some awesome kids, very well behaved and respectfull! im very proud of them :-)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2011, 12:13:04 PM »
trust me I have room bro and thanks <S>

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2011, 12:20:35 PM »
<<S>>