Author Topic: A Second Mid War Arena  (Read 765 times)

Offline xtyger

• Nickel Member
      • Fred's Humboldt Blog
A Second Mid War Arena
« on: January 25, 2011, 04:44:15 PM »
Ok. I have had enough. They made the towns too easy to capture. This has created poor game play conditions in the Mid War arena, as far as I'm concerned. The problem being the strategic play squadrons that just want to capture bases and roll the map. This makes it too easy for them and reduces fighting time for everyone else.

It got worse when the Joker's Jokers Squadron decided to start playing Midwar. They horde bases, thus game play mostly amounts to seeing how far down the runway you can get before they vulch you. Two strat squadrons are too much for any arena.

My suggestion is to have two Midwar Arenas and, hopefully, have one arena with the old damage system where towns would be harder to capture. That way, the strat squadrons would tend to go to the easy capture arena and vulch, capture and roll maps to their hearts content. The rest of us that prefer doing a bit more than that could play in the harder capture arena.

The only problem I see is Midwar often doesn't have enough people even for good play in one arena. Still, when the strat squadrons (Joker's Jokers in particular) show up, it doesn't make it worth staying in the arena anyway.

I also don't know if they could make one arena harder to make captures in than another, but they change settings in the AvA arena all the time so I'm guessing it's possible. Even if they had both arenas with easy capture, it would leave another arena for players to go to so they could avoid the pure strat players.

Seems to me the worst that could happen if this was done is one arena stays empty. Let the flaming begin!  :rock

Offline DeadStik

• Copper Member
Re: A Second Mid War Arena
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 05:03:10 PM »
You said it yourself. There aren't enough people to go around. You'd be flying in the arena alone.
Dedstick

Offline xtyger

• Nickel Member
      • Fred's Humboldt Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 05:08:39 PM »
Maybe, but I'd like to see how it would work. If everybody hung in one arena it certainly would be a failure but, since the Jokers showed up a week or two ago, I've had some of the dullest time in that arena since I've been playing it. I wonder how many others feel the same way?

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 05:13:02 PM »
Which squad are you in and whats you callsign...just curious.
Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 06:37:49 PM »
Which squad are you in and whats you callsign...just curious.

He's xtyger in game as well and he can easily be identified as one of the loudest whiners in the MW arena.  He should do what I did the other day in the MW arena when the Jokers were trying to take A43, I upped and defended the base and after a couple of attacks the Jokers moved on. 

I guess for some people it's just easier to whine than to do something to resolve the issue.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 06:52:37 PM »
Thats what I do not get sometimes about AH.  Its not terribly difficult to stop a base capture.  Even against overwhelming odds.  They rather complain then try to stop it.

Having 2 MW arenas would be pointless. Or would it.  Perhaps everytime there is opposition, HTC should create a new arena. This way we all have our own little sandbox. 
Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 07:55:56 PM »
I feel your pain.  So, I will suggest some alternatives.  For me, it means that I try other arenas.  Today's Battle of the Bulge was interesting.  I found it wasn't my cup of tea, for some very small reasons, that mostly involve my own attention deficit.  It couldn't hurt to slip into one of the LW arenas and try and help a few guys take up a mission.  Go to the Dueling Arena and practice one pass hangar bangers in a Pony.  Go to the Training arena and just gain some great advice about ACM.  You could even go to the Axis versus Allies Arena and practice the manual bomb sight calibration to be used in an upcoming Special Event.  I do like the WWI airplanes, but I again have a limited attention span, so after a couple of rounds it is on to the next thing for me.

Base capture is not the problem.  The fact that base capture interferes with what you or your countrymen want to do, contradicts what the purpose of the capture system is supposed to accomplish.  Your complaint (and it is legitimate, I know I was there also today, and saw exactly what you described here), "someone is taking bases and they have too many people involved in taking the base" leaves this question.  Why don't more folks get together to take bases from the base takers?  It is just simple math for me. 

I can't tell you how to spend your time, but I do see a lot of this  :bhead < expecting different results.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 07:58:35 PM »
Perhaps everytime there is opposition, HTC should create a new arena. This way we all have our own little sandbox

We already do...it's called "offline".  :D
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline 1Cane

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 08:39:22 PM »
Yep we rolled nit bases ,So what!
Took 1 Rook base and bogged down at A35 and were stopped their, Squadies went  to chow or drifted off the game balanced itself!Once you build momentum others join the fight!Would have liked to have taken A35 but met with stiff fighting and isn"t that what the game is about. As for Vulching thats one way of controlling the field so we could grt troops in
AkCaine

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 02:03:36 AM »
-1, you explained why.

The only problem I see is Midwar often doesn't have enough people even for good play in one arena.

:ahand
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 08:47:46 AM »
I've enjoyed the Jokers last few forays into MW and hope they continue.  More targets = better gameplay.  IMO  :banana:
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 08:58:04 AM »
If they are really superior in numbers, the ENY will limit their strenght. Then it will be fun to hunt down a horde of inferior planes. If they arent limited by the ENY, that means they arent really hording  ;)
AoM
City of ice

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 09:00:42 AM »
I've split my evenings into mapmaking sessions (just DL'd the Terrain Editor last week) and flying sessions.  Had lots of fun in MW last night.  Didn't pay attention to squad names, but helped defend some airbase against what seemed like the entire personnel of whatever side was attacking whatever side I was flying for*...until they got an LVT and three goons to town.

*Have I ever mentioned I switch sides all the time to find fights?   :D
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline grumpy37

• Silver Member
      • What I do
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 09:25:30 AM »

you side switcher you!  I think the Jokers have come in, at NKL5's request, to help fight the usual nit horde which is almost entirely VF-15 Playmates.
CO VF-10 "Grim Reapers"   Member JG54 in AVA

Offline xtyger

• Nickel Member
      • Fred's Humboldt Blog
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 09:38:57 AM »
One of the Jokers pm'ed me yesterday when I asked why they started coming to MidWar and said they were just there to hassle Satan's Sissies, VF 15. Seemed ok to me, except when the Knights got low numbers and I switched to Knight. Then there wasn't much fight to be had except trying to get off the runway.

One thing about the Sissies, despite being a strat horde type squadron, they usually take the town down and then cap the field. The Jokers seem to go for the airfield vulch first.

While Yaeger may enjoy the Jokers being in MidWar, the first day I noticed them there was one of the most boring days I've spent in the arena. I spent probably two hours there with only one kill and an assist to show for it.

I was either on the Jokers' side while they shut down bases and vulched or, after I switched to the knights to look for more action, they started attacking the knights. That meant, of course, starting out by shutting down the airfield and vulching uppers from the start.

I abandoned that field and went looking for a fight somewhere without success, only finding myself with a couple guys from the VF15 attacking an undefended base. At that point I logged off right after seeing Joker land something like 8 kills he got hitting folks on the runway.