Author Topic: my Trackir so far  (Read 2196 times)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: my Trackir so far
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2011, 12:00:12 AM »
Grizz-  Sorry, nope.  Family in town from far away, can't really politely set them aside to fly. ;)  Will probably be around tomorrow though.

CAP-  That's exactly how mine is built as well.  If it gets bent too hard, it just comes apart at the pivot point.  I'd be slightly concerned about the pieces holding it in eventually breaking if it happens too often, but I haven't had a problem with mine yet, had it for a couple years I guess.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2011, 12:07:37 AM »
Grizz-  Sorry, nope.  Family in town from far away, can't really politely set them aside to fly. ;)  Will probably be around tomorrow though.

CAP-  That's exactly how mine is built as well.  If it gets bent too hard, it just comes apart at the pivot point.  I'd be slightly concerned about the pieces holding it in eventually breaking if it happens too often, but I haven't had a problem with mine yet, had it for a couple years I guess.

Wiley.

to me, the design looks good. i think that if this spot is indeed a weak point, i'd be more inclined to look at the type of plastic they're molding this out of.

i just messed around with it a lil offline tonight. made a few adjustments, and went from not sensitive enough, to way over sensitive........i think i'm gonna like it though.

i tried maneuvering around the drones, and so far, no motion sickness either....but then i've never been one to get that.

just outta curiousity....anyone got any suggestions on settings?

and dicho........thank you for the advice sir!!!! you're a lifesaver.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2011, 12:45:22 AM »
I like to have it so it only takes about an inch to move my head all the way to the sides, and to turn my head 180 to the back, I only have to turn my head so it moves my nose about 3/4 of an inch.  I don't move my head up and down or forward/back at all, and I have enough deadband so I don't really have to work at keeping my head centered for gunnery.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2011, 01:11:49 PM »
I like to have it so it only takes about an inch to move my head all the way to the sides, and to turn my head 180 to the back, I only have to turn my head so it moves my nose about 3/4 of an inch.  I don't move my head up and down or forward/back at all, and I have enough deadband so I don't really have to work at keeping my head centered for gunnery.

Wiley.

ok...a few questions on this.

1) if i set it to get my 180 view that fast, then things move waaay too fast, even just flying with the drones. i have the "smooth" option set all the way to 50, but that doesn't seem to help my straight ahead view too much.

2)how do i set it so i can have the views i'm looking for, without moving so fast? i'm messing with the bar sliders that resemble our stick scaling system.....but like i said...i keep losing drones, and i can't center for a shot. i set one of my throttle buttons to center, but even with the big deadzone, it almost instantly goes off kilter.

3)how do you keep eyes on the con if you don't move your head up?

any other advice anyone can give on setting this thing up would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!!

almost forgot....i'm using the trackir5 with the proclip, and i downloaded and installed version 5.1 beta 3
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 01:13:59 PM by CAP1 »
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2011, 01:16:40 PM »
Want me to send you my track ir profile? You may have to remap some buttons as I have pause and center mapped.

Plus its a track ir 4.0 profile, but should automatically become a 5 once you use it.

Lemme know,

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2011, 01:19:39 PM »
Want me to send you my track ir profile? You may have to remap some buttons as I have pause and center mapped.

Plus its a track ir 4.0 profile, but should automatically become a 5 once you use it.

Lemme know,

Wurzel

if you don't mind, that would be awesomeness sir!! i'm just trying to get to the point of tracking drones...then i'll come baqck online, and get my buttocks handed to me.  :aok
 the only one i've mapped so far, is the center. what's pause do? does it temp. kill trackir?
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2011, 01:21:56 PM »
Yup, it pauses it, you then have to recenter, as mine pauses it wherever I happen to be looking at that time.

Pm me yer email bud, and I'll sling it your way.

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2011, 03:06:20 PM »

and dicho........thank you for the advice sir!!!! you're a lifesaver.

My pleasure brother <S>
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2011, 04:18:31 PM »
couple more observations.

the stand thingie that mounts the camera forces the camera to be angled down. this messes up some of the movements. i had to prop mine to level. i also noted that in the upper right corner of the screen where you can set your views......it shows where the camera sees the clip. i had to move the camera some to center these,.....both vertically and horizontally.

wurzel shot me his profile, which i like, except that when i try looking up, the camera loses view of the clip.....i modified that slightly. doing better against the drones now.

i also found one that homeboy did......do a search for dentins profile.

i'm gonna try to be online tonight to see how i do.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2011, 04:57:03 PM »
You should be able to adjust the camera's angle with gentle pressure; it should tilt and twist a little.  There's no reason why you can't have the base solid on your monitor and the camera pointing to where you get a good view of the clip's emitters.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2011, 05:11:33 PM »
You should be able to adjust the camera's angle with gentle pressure; it should tilt and twist a little.  There's no reason why you can't have the base solid on your monitor and the camera pointing to where you get a good view of the clip's emitters.

it's one solid piece. i looked really close with my "old guy" glasses even.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2011, 06:04:06 PM »
ok....here's a pic.

note where the arrows are. the arrow on the right, is where the set was disassembled when i got it. it was just a simple "snap" fit. there is as you can see an "O" ring at each fitting. these fittings are both pivots. i'd imagine this was/is to correct the weakness mentioned before.
(Image removed from quote.)

same set up as mine it broke within a month, it just got moved the wrong way while it wasn't being used, it seems real brittle but i used machined screws and a couple star washers it actual works better than new and much sturdier
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2011, 10:58:31 PM »
Also Cap, I don't know if you know this or not but you can change the center point where your head sits in the planes now, as of  a few patches ago.  You pause the trackir, then move your head position where you want it, then f10 to save the head position, unpause the TIR, and look around to check your views.  Once you get a good center point, then you can start messing with the profile curves a bit more to get exactly what you want.  Getting it all tweaked out just right will take you some time as it's an extremely personal setup, like some others have said.  Once you start getting close to what you're looking for exactly, then just start tweaking one axis at a time till you get where you want.  That way you're eliminating variables as you progress.  I have the roll axis turned off in my profile, I started out with it and eventually came to think that not only did it not add anything, but that it actually detracted some from my getting good views.  Just something to consider.

madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline NormH3

• Nickel Member
      • We do good things!
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2011, 07:58:43 AM »
I think theres one for sale on the cheap in 'classifieds' Norm

thanks for the headsup, but I have some personal things to take care of before I can buy any more toys.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2011, 08:17:04 AM »
i flew a few in the ava last night. thanks to wurzel for the profile!! i had to tweak it a lil....mostly for looking up, and for the side to side movement, as looking up, my camera was losing vis on the clip....and side to side, i had to move too much i think to see around the headrest.

it's a whole different ballgame trying to track an enemy with this. i kept losing the ki's immediately after the merge. i also had trouble tracking a con behind me, so it was a bit hard to know which way to turn to dodge them.

even with these difficulties, i can tell that going through this crap and feeling like a noob all over again will be more than worth it in the long run.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"