Author Topic: Vulch fests  (Read 5132 times)

Offline sky25

• Nickel Member
Re: Vulch fests
« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2011, 01:00:23 PM »
So why do you vulch at all?  If it's no big deal on the recieving end, what's the enjoyment on the shooting end? 

Your fear is that once up the pilot taking off is better then you?  That's all I can figure from the last part of your comment.

Gotta stop that peelot from getting to town and killing that goon or one of those troops entering the map room..

sky25  "Vsky" In The Game

Offline sky25

• Nickel Member
« Reply #91 on: February 09, 2011, 01:01:14 PM »
I don't do it for score or perks, I do it for fun.  So how do we address that? :headscratch:

Good answer.. :salute

sky25  "Vsky" In The Game

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2011, 01:04:00 PM »
The solution may be technically impractical. But I still like the sentiment. A cloud of red guys below, a  plunging dive from altitude like a hawk down upon a flock of pigeons, a quick calculation of deflection and your target falls...that is a sport. Like shooting clays. Vulching though...that is like putting the clay pigeon on the ground, walking up, and blowing it away at point blank range.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2011, 01:04:58 PM »
Gotta stop that peelot from getting to town and killing that goon or one of those troops entering the map room..

Yes...and I can't tell you how many times I've wished I could shoot a goon with a green icon...or buffs for that matter. Dammit, don't cut off my steady stream of victims!
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #94 on: February 09, 2011, 01:55:43 PM »
Just wow.  Yes that certainly is my outlook, protecting those who are unable to protect themselves.  Not in the game however but your comment wasn't about the game either, it kinda maybe looked like a political comment, sorta.

Gotta side with Llogann here... You can protect defenseless but there's little use in protecting stupid, which I guess you could call a subset. Now, you could protect certain categories of stupid. You'd probably do so when it stupid and blameless intersect. OTOH, I don't think you want to protect willfully stupid, as that just encourages more of the same.

It's not so much political as it is economic - see First Law, aka: Incentives Matter. Forget that and lose all.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #95 on: February 09, 2011, 01:57:21 PM »
so you want more people upping, then getting shot down at 150mph 10ft off the ground? sounds like a system to try to provide more easy kills to the side capping the field, not less.
Dont see how this would be eaiser than 2 guys circling above watching the poor guy start his engine and get blasted. You also have the option and if you had time to kill that you up on the runway and .ef as they start to shoot :lol Its like a drunken prom date that wont put out :P
****Let the beatings begin***

in game name: Tralfaz

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #96 on: February 09, 2011, 02:02:02 PM »
how about....

if someone is vultched, it only counts as an assist for the vultcher? and they only get half (or a fraction) of the points for it.

and at a field, if there is a certain number of deaths on the runway recorded, it will shorten the downtime of the ack(if its down) and increase the damage a little of the ack if its still up?

maybe installing low-alt manned flak? or possably creating a "hidden" flak camp postioned somewheres close to the base,with manned flak guns that can be used to try to shoot down the hovering vultchers above the base when the ack is down?
and also giving us the choice of which fighter hanger we want to spawn out of.

just some thoughts.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #97 on: February 09, 2011, 02:04:44 PM »
Gotta side with Llogann here... You can protect defenseless but there's little use in protecting stupid, which I guess you could call a subset. Now, you could protect certain categories of stupid. You'd probably do so when it stupid and blameless intersect. OTOH, I don't think you want to protect willfully stupid, as that just encourages more of the same.

It's not so much political as it is economic - see First Law, aka: Incentives Matter. Forget that and lose all.

I think the wheels down is idea is the right spirit, but I agree that it doesn't go far enough. With the new "anti-Sissy" scoring system, a low slow plane who just put his wheels up, would still yield very few points for poaching. I would base the score on E-state, numbers, and ENY values for planes within icon range.  Low points if you out number, out eny, and out E the bandit. High points for the opposite.
Who is John Galt?

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #98 on: February 09, 2011, 02:09:13 PM »
I think the wheels down is idea is the right spirit, but I agree that it doesn't go far enough. With the new "anti-Sissy" scoring system, a low slow plane who just put his wheels up, would still yield very few points for poaching. I would base the score on E-state, numbers, and ENY values for planes within icon range.  Low points if you out number, out eny, and out E the bandit. High points for the opposite.

It's an interesting idea but it implies that youd have to track those state variables at all times. Perhaps one of the AH code community could address the feas osf such an idea.

I still like the idea of penalizing the foolish upper for getting killed. OTOH, your system would add the offestting reqrd that, should he succeed from such a dubious starting point, he'd be rewarded.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #99 on: February 09, 2011, 02:15:21 PM »
It's an interesting idea but it implies that youd have to track those state variables at all times. Perhaps one of the AH code community could address the feas osf such an idea.

I still like the idea of penalizing the foolish upper for getting killed. OTOH, your system would add the offestting reqrd that, should he succeed from such a dubious starting point, he'd be rewarded.
There was several people that came up with localized eny which meant that you get more perks if you approached more baddies than goodies. Honestly this should be considered in the score/rank system as this would be a true testament to ones ability to attain skill rather than just patience in playing the game. Not knocking at all what it takes to get a good score, but lets be honest..most that strive for a good score are not that fun to engage versus the ones that take the plunge and fight you even when outnumbered
****Let the beatings begin***

in game name: Tralfaz

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #100 on: February 09, 2011, 02:21:24 PM »

I think it's possible, even easy. The film viewer has all the info required. All you would need is one line of code that calculated your running SA [situational advantage] every 10 or 100 miliseconds. Don't think that's a lot of over heads. The real issue is the logic of what constitutes a low or high score at given point in time. The time is critical.
Example. I see a high bandit and engage him, suck him into a fight, eventually getting him to blead of his speed until I turn the tables and kill him. A the time of the kill, our e-states may be equal, or even better for me, but I should get high points for that kind of kill. So the logic would need to look at SA over time with more points going to positive slopes [SA starting out bad and getting better over the time] and low scores going to flat SA over time [ I dove on AFK pilot and vulched him].  Negative slope [I started with more E but manuvered on to his 6 and blead E to equal and killed him, yeilds something in the middle. It's getting the algorithm around slope-to-kill and the time constant over which to calculate the slope that needs regression. I would use film of engagements to calculate the algorythm, and them compare to experts who subjectively evaluate the situations for "sissyness" and merit, then correlate to the subjective evaluations.

Is there a way to dump the plane/speed/alt info from the film viewer to a .csv file?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 02:24:30 PM by Vinkman »
Who is John Galt?

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #101 on: February 09, 2011, 02:28:51 PM »
No, please! Don't stop! The popcorn is all warmed up. This is hilarious!

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #102 on: February 09, 2011, 02:30:26 PM »
No, please! Don't stop! The popcorn is all warmed up. This is hilarious!

hillarious in what way Krusty?
Who is John Galt?

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #103 on: February 09, 2011, 02:31:10 PM »
There was several people that came up with localized eny which meant that you get more perks if you approached more baddies than goodies. Honestly this should be considered in the score/rank system as this would be a true testament to ones ability to attain skill rather than just patience in playing the game. Not knocking at all what it takes to get a good score, but lets be honest..most that strive for a good score are not that fun to engage versus the ones that take the plunge and fight you even when outnumbered

<--- Plunger, yes!
       Stupid, NO <-- not directed toward you tralfz

The offhanded, indirect insults of "stupid" are not required. The 2nd loser "name calls", the 1st loser does it indirectly  ;)

My style is obviously different than yours. My thoughts are sound, possibly impractical but sound  :salute
There are some who share my view, obviously most do not!

:salute

JUGgler
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 02:33:08 PM by JUGgler »
Army of Muppets

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #104 on: February 09, 2011, 02:31:16 PM »
In the ridiculousness of your suggestions (if that's even a word -- if not you have all just coined it as a new word).