Author Topic: P40B/E help  (Read 1220 times)

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
Re: P40B/E help
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 09:39:47 PM »
Your right it's hard to do.  But it can be done.  Its not like its gonna be a kill shot just enough to hurt them and set them up for the next reverse.
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2011, 10:20:37 PM »
I'm not sure, but I think in many cases, barring where you entered the fight with a lot more E than your target, trying to go vertical in something like a P-40 is pretty much playing into your opponent's hands and making their kill of you, easier.

Certainly I would find it easier to kill a P-40 trying to go vertical when in a Mosquito, the the Mossie doesn't exactly climb well.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Colt44

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 09:54:59 AM »
I like the 40e and fly it alot....   You can suprise the unwary...  Its just a very situational aircreaft.   I have always found I have to give up altitude to gain posistion...so I try to drag a plane away from the crowd and then engage 1 v 1 ... leave youself an exit stategy..your gonna need it when his buddies come in above you.....

Love to get some pointers from those who really know how to fly her.

Offline Doctahg

• Zinc Member
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 11:53:11 AM »
Long as you fly them with their contemporaries the P40's are enjoyable....but you nee the 1939 and 40 set! lol
Pork! It's the other white meat...and it's AH's ONLY meat!!!!!!!!!!!
OINK!
http://www.pigsonthewing.org/

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2011, 04:20:33 PM »
thanks gents, I would still like to get some time in TA with someone. Does Batfink fly P40 ?

There's 2 players I'd suggest you look up,Dedalos and Bighorn2,either of these 2 guys can fly the P40 quite well.

You could PM Dedalos here at the forums but finding Bighorn is another mater!! :devil

Hope this helps.

:salute

Offline TOMCAT21

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2011, 04:29:39 PM »
thanks morf..
RETIRED US Army/ Flying and dying since Tour 80/"We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded." - Capt. Richard Winters.  FSO 412th FNVG/MA- REGULATORS

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2011, 06:40:43 PM »

Some of you seem to be confusing the idea of "using the vertical" with zoom climbing/roping?

With the climb and acceleration of the P40 being what it is, it's absolutely critical that you "use the vertical" effectively. 

Use the vertical for your own gains, and beyond that, you need to use the horizontal against your opponent.

You'll need to use the flaps, but use them conservatively.  They can be used to help with turns and reversals, but they have an awful high drag penalty to be used for extensive maneuvering.
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline TOMCAT21

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2011, 09:26:58 AM »
I flew a P-40B for the first since like tour 99 and I landed 2 kills. One was a 190A5 that happened to graciously pull up into my 30cals and in my wild spraying of bullets bagged a second one. It flys really nice and no one seem to bother me. Last week I upped a P40E and landed 6( 3 actual and other 3 dude flew his lancs through the ack as I coming around on him). Needless to say, I like it, call it dweebish whatever, I enjoy it. Thanks for the tips/info. TC
RETIRED US Army/ Flying and dying since Tour 80/"We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded." - Capt. Richard Winters.  FSO 412th FNVG/MA- REGULATORS