Author Topic: WW1 AI  (Read 1528 times)

Offline Miska

• Copper Member
Re: WW1 AI
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2011, 08:09:11 PM »
With a proper Allies vs CP WWI arena, with observation and scout missions, I would be back in a flash.

Vlasov

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2011, 02:43:54 AM »
Pervert, I just tested it out, and it is easier to get the Camel to snap roll if you leave combat trim off.  Try it out and tell me if you get the same result.

I have mine switched off most of the time anyway, its slightly better but it still does the shuddering speed loss thing the DR1 doesn't  :(

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2011, 07:31:17 AM »
All:
Many of the suggestions for improving WWI are good, but I think we are perhaps over-complicating matters. The Furball Lake sustains a healthy population of players while being in no way essentially different from the WWI furball *except* for number of plane types. So while the other remedies are useful, the vital cure must simply be the development time to add new models to WWII.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2011, 07:42:42 AM »
And more plane types will not be added if it does not appear profitable to do so.  Catch 22.

When HTC first released AH, they had faith in the business model because of Warbirds.  They don't have the same with WW1.  I'm not clear how involved HT/Pyro were with the initial release of DoA, it was released about the time iMOL stepped in, but they did not have the opportunity to see it grow.  From what I hear DoA was successful for a while.  There's a bunch of former DoA fliers who play RoF, and probably even more who play OFF.  What I am convinced of, however, is that you can't build a WW1 arena on the model of WW2.  The aircraft and ground vehicle abilities just aren't there.  This was a war that stagnated for lack of offensive weaponry, after all.  WW1 needs its own concept in order to be viable.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2011, 10:03:54 AM »
What I am convinced of, however, is that you can't build a WW1 arena on the model of WW2.  The aircraft and ground vehicle abilities just aren't there.  This was a war that stagnated for lack of offensive weaponry, after all.  WW1 needs its own concept in order to be viable.

Well, again, I reject the assertion that we have to be slavishly bound to the exact historical events for an MA design. 
I think there is broad artistic license available as long as it ends up being a fun arena to play in.

I think an over obsession with historical accuracy could be a recipe for self-defeating, puritanical boredom. 

WW1 needs its own concept in order to be viable.

I'm interested in your concrete proposal.  What do you think would be a workable, popular format?  Come on!  Go out on a limb, Man!  ;)

Frankly, I'd be open to just about any idea.  I'd prefer just about anything over its current format.

:rolleyes:,
Wab

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2011, 05:32:57 PM »
You can't build a WW1 arena on the model of WW2.  Until the last few months of the war, tanks played a very small part in the combat, and the Central Powers only built a few dozen of them.  Their design philosophy was infantry support and the infiltration of enemy positions, not the destruction of other tanks (more comparable to a light armored vehicle).  I don't know what kind of role you think boats are supposed to play.

Wow how far can you spin my thought, I never said anything about modeling WWI after WWII, I said take away all things guys LOVE about WWII and see how it goes.  I would like to see them put back the old DoA code that THEY were doing when they left the "other guy" with the planes objectives etc and see how many fly there.  It will be alot more than it is now.

What better time to do it when the govenment will probably help with payroll for "new" jobs  :rock
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 05:38:32 PM by Boxboy »
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2011, 01:42:37 AM »
Frankly, I'd be open to just about any idea.  I'd prefer just about anything over its current format.

I will think about it. :)
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2011, 08:31:29 PM »
:rofl  Didn't really look at it that way.  You just might be on to something, LOL.   :salute

It absolutely PWNS me, first time, every time.

-Penguin

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2011, 12:23:40 AM »
It absolutely PWNS me, first time, every time.

-Penguin

I always end up in an endless looping maneuver with the A.I. P-51.  Without the human error element, you can just sit right on that stall horn and follow each other around all day! :lol
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2011, 12:37:07 AM »
A thought:

Can we make the WWI arena a "capture the flag" arena?!?! :pray

Oh wow... that would be a blast with airplanes...
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline tassos

• Nickel Member
      • Free Warbids Arena
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2011, 12:42:01 AM »
Till 2001 I was thinking that the enemy countrys in MA are AI ,till waffen3d wrote me that he PM a rook guy to join our Black Knight Bish Squad.

Nobody is Perfect......My Name is not Nobody
Living Aces High from Sep 1999 as ATZE,MrROX,and from Feb 2000 as tassos
Quit: OPEN /Google:48°58'22.40"N 10°8'15.30"E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B69CquvLHgY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMCq22Vpa18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXsVxFycRZo
Aces High be a part...