Author Topic: Does LD's flying style make the game boring for the rest of us.  (Read 9007 times)

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Does LD's flying style make the game boring for the rest of us.
« Reply #105 on: February 17, 2011, 04:39:05 PM »
The part about them disengaging, is uncharacteristic of what I have observed during a battle.  I do believe that you have had a different experience, I am just not buying that this is their only style.

Maybe LD are just scared to get down and dirty with yarbles   :headscratch:

I know I am!
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #106 on: February 17, 2011, 04:39:37 PM »
perhaps LD are just scared to tangle with yarbles  :headscratch:

I know I am

:lol :rofl

When I got back to "The Few" BBS Bruv had my pants down and smacked my botty for me for being a cheeky monkey  :cry.

I reckon though the LD's have come out of this very well with allot of messages of support and love though so "its an ill wind" as they say. Its fare to say they have set the standard for team work and team play and are no dobut  secure enough to stand up to the odd prod.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 04:48:17 PM by Yarbles »
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline SQUAT!

• Copper Member
« Reply #107 on: February 17, 2011, 04:45:40 PM »
Of course expect the ho in every fight. But they bring it to another level. Personally i have 0 respect for them as a squad. But what does my opinion matter.   :salute

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #108 on: February 17, 2011, 04:52:19 PM »
That is one oddity with this game that I just can't wrap my head around.  Here's a game, with a couple hundred or more people in the arena at once, allegedly broken up into 3 sides.  The members of these 3 sides are (I would assume) theoretically supposed to work together to accomplish whatever goal they want to accomplish against the other two sides.

Yet there is a fairly sizable, quite vocal portion of the playerbase who call people down when they work together.

Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot?

LD's methods are sound.  I think it's the fact that to put up a defense against their style of play takes patience and teamwork is the reason why people don't want to do it. Apparently, your enemies coming in above 3000 feet and working together degrades the quality of play...
Wiley.

It does when it is within 1/4 mile of an enemy base and everyone is in full "cherry mode"   :aok

JUGgler
Army of Muppets

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #109 on: February 17, 2011, 05:17:28 PM »
It does when it is within 1/4 mile of an enemy base and everyone is in full "cherry mode"   :aok
JUGgler

Yeah, but y'know what?  It's about 20 miles from the next enemy base over, which also is capable of launching aircraft that would, in that intervening 20 miles be able to 'climb' and possibly come in with equivalent 'altitude' to the people who are in full "cherry mode".  This might allow them to engage in a 'fight' if people were to do this.   :aok

Precisely proving my point, defending against this kind of attack requires patience and teamwork, and that's apparently too much effort for some people.  Far easier to whine about it.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #110 on: February 17, 2011, 05:22:54 PM »
Precisely proving my point, defending against this kind of attack requires patience and teamwork, and that's apparently too much effort for some people.  Far easier to whine about it.

Wiley.

It does require allot of patience and perseverence plus sometimes a quite selfless attitude to work as a team and that is the point it can seem like work.
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #111 on: February 17, 2011, 05:25:49 PM »
Yeah, but y'know what?  It's about 20 miles from the next enemy base over, which also is capable of launching aircraft that would, in that intervening 20 miles be able to 'climb' and possibly come in with equivalent 'altitude' to the people who are in full "cherry mode".  This might allow them to engage in a 'fight' if people were to do this.   :aok

Wiley.

If you're not taking the base what's wrong with hangin 1/2 way out on Dar? You would still have alt and those upping might have a little speed  :aok

JUGgler
Army of Muppets

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #112 on: February 17, 2011, 05:33:14 PM »
It does require allot of patience and perseverence plus sometimes a quite selfless attitude to work as a team and that is the point it can seem like work.

And the alternative is what, 'Don't work together'?  They put in the effort to work as a unit, why should they not reap the reward?

If you're not taking the base what's wrong with hangin 1/2 way out on Dar? You would still have alt and those upping might have a little speed  :aok

...and I reiterate, what is wrong with, or stopping you, from upping at the next base over to get a little speed and alt before you get there?  Why is it their responsibility to make sure you're all set up to go before they attack you?  Why is it not your responsibility to put yourself in a position where you can fight effectively before engaging them?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline 4brkfast

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #113 on: February 17, 2011, 05:37:17 PM »
I don't understand the point of this topic. I guess some people don't like that people are working as a squadron, apparently. That seems odd to me, given what this game is and how dogfighting actually takes place and took place in both modern and past wars.

Those that have any doubts about the talent and skill level of the LD pilots, I will gladly meet you in the DA anytime for a lesson, I mean fight. I love a good 1v1 too.

Having said that, it's been entertaining reading all of this. Thank you yarbles, sincerely. :)

<S> gents, see you in the skies.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 05:39:07 PM by 4brkfast »
"Nuts!" - General Anthony Clement McAuliffe's reply to German demands for surrender during the Battle of Bastogne.

Offline MickDono

• Gold Member
« Reply #114 on: February 17, 2011, 05:39:24 PM »
 <--- always up for taking lessons 

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #115 on: February 17, 2011, 05:41:32 PM »
If people are willing to treat eachother with respect most things can be reasonably looked at and discussed.

The LD style is fairly unique and allot of that has to do with the level of teamwork and commitment they are willing to put in I susspect as well as what they fly. I have found them a bit timid at times but as I said I can't tell anyone what to do and others clearly have had a different experience, apparently the overwhelming majority.

So that speaks for itself and no ego's were damaged during the making of this thread  :D  
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 06:01:02 PM by Yarbles »
DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #116 on: February 17, 2011, 05:42:21 PM »
Oh and who said the few couldn't find love.

LD and Few 4ever.

X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #117 on: February 17, 2011, 06:00:12 PM »
I've spent most of my adult life in politics. The old saying is, "so long as they spell your name right it's good press." I think this applies here.

Some squads like to take bases.
Some squads seem to spend most time in ground vehicles.
Some squads seem fly nothing but bombers.
Some squads fly almost exclusively Navy planes.
Some squads fly mostly German planes.
Some squads are almost man for man, 1v1 aces.
Loose Deuce spends their time flying squad tactics.
I love it.

I spent the first year on Aces High tooling around, following green icons, randomly shooting things. I would join missions in a 110 or goon. I would load up a Panzer and take pot shots at other GVs. Boring as camel crap. Last August Dhryan asked me to join Loose Deuce. Took me a week or two to find out what the deal was, finally joined. Best decision I've made. To each their own. LD is all hooked up for our style.

One note about our disengagement. We do not specialize in flying Japanese planes and crashing them into carriers. As a squad we fight together, implying the goal is to both kill the enemy while living. Have you ever been in a squad action, started to get covered up by cons and ordered to disengage? Let me tell you, it is not so easy as you think. You can't simply turn North and hit wep. You have to cover your squadies as they attempt to disengage, while you are disengaging. Most times we are successful, many times not. I find this more challenging then taking a base. Give it a try and you will see it is an adrenaline rush.

In any case, I've enjoyed this whole thread. Pretty good compliment, if in a backhanded way.

Boo
 :salute
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline killert5

• Zinc Member
« Reply #118 on: February 17, 2011, 07:23:05 PM »
U want to understand the Loose Deuce? Then here is what you need to know....

1) We're about heart. We go in together and we come out together. I will have my Wingman's back no matter what.
2) We're about respect. Everyone here is different. We all bring something new to sky, and we respect each other for what we are. A Team!
3) We're about friendship. Sometimes when the real world has been just a little to rough you can always count on a couple laughs.
4) We're about dedication. A dedication to learning new tactics and maneuvers.
5) We're about Teamwork. None of our kills, SDL victories, group sorties, or SEC matches would be possible without knowing that when I dive into a Furball, my buddy is right behind me covering my six.

The Loose Deuce is without a doubt the best group of guys Ive ever had the privilege of taking to the sky with. This game would not be half the good time it is without the LD beside me! So a big snappy <S> Loose Deuce! I will see you in the air!

-KillerT  :rock

P.S. I do love the LA-7 though....  :salute

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #119 on: February 17, 2011, 07:34:51 PM »
LD probably flies the same style that I tend to.  Get your kills, but stay alive.  What I consider smart flying.  Not always the most fun for others but requires a certain patience and SA to pull it off with success.  With teamwork, your options grow dramatically as far as the situations you can get into and out of with success, situations that might be impossible if alone.  I've flown with, trained, or fought against, most of the main characters in this thread, I don't really think there was any real intentional degrading of anyone's squad.  More likely just worded, poorly, and should have been kept more general.

:salute
BigRat
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat