Author Topic: From a Rest Camp in the Pacific  (Read 1806 times)

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
Re: From a Rest Camp in the Pacific
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2011, 12:59:06 AM »
Thank you for sharing.  :salute
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline wojo71

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2011, 01:08:49 AM »
 :salute   all I can say is wow.
LTARwojo        
Proud father of a U.S. Marine....Proud grandson of Lt Col Hamel Goodin (ret)   B-17 pilot. 305th BG /364th SQD

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2011, 07:01:45 AM »
Thanks for posting your Granpa's letter Sunbat. Its terrible what some of those guys had to go through.

<S> Dean
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline IrishOne

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2011, 10:54:34 AM »
 :salute
-AoM-

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2011, 12:29:06 PM »
He was in the 5th Pioneer Battalion.  My grandpa would not talk about the war to me and my brother at all when we were young, so I don’t know much about what happened.  However, he did get very sick once when I was in college and I think he thought he was going to die.  I came home to see him and visited with him in the hospital.  I had a long talk with him and he opened up about a lot of things that he did in his life.  One of the things that he told me about was how he was on watch the night before they were going to leave the island.  They were at an airfield and he was one of the perimeter guards.  He saw a large group of Japanese emerge and head across the air field.   A big fight broke out and he killed one of the Japanese officers.   I didn’t know it at the time, but he got the Japanese officer’s saber, his dogtags, and his Japanese flag with a bunch of writing on it.  My uncle has those items to this day.  I saw them after my grandfather passed away.  If you have any other information on his Battalion it would be cool to hear about it.  My uncle says that it was a predominately African American Unit with my Grandpa being one of the few white guys in the Battalion.  I don’t know if that is accurate, but it would be interesting to find out.  I'm going to do more research.  I have been meaning to but just keep getting side tracked.  

On it. I'll see what I can find.

Just a quick look found this online.  Looks like Grandpa was there that day for the assault on the Air Corps tents where a bunch of guys from the 21st FG were killed by that last suicide attack.  I'd heard of that bit before.  Didn't know of the connection to the 5th Pioneers. attached to the 27th, 5th Marine Division.

http://www.marineswwii.com/pdfs/THE%20END%20OF%20THE%20END.pdf

Looks like amazing stuff he went through

And there is a history of the Marine Pioneers too.  Not too bad a price. Might be worthwhile for ya

http://www.schifferbooks.com/newschiffer/book_template.php?isbn=0764302272
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 12:39:10 PM by Guppy35 »
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2011, 12:48:30 PM »
It was the evening of 25 March, D+34, and the amphibious assault on the rocky fortress of Iwo Jima finally appeared over. The island grew strangely quiet. There were far fewer illumination shells. In the flickering false light, some saw shadowy figures, moving south, towards the airfield.
Grandpa was a lucky man to still be around for so long.  Wow!

"General Schmidt received the good news that the 5th Marine Division had snuffed out the final enemy cave in The Gorge on the evening of D+34. But even as the corps commander prepared his announcement declaring the end of organized resistance on Iwo Jima, a very well-organized enemy force emerged from northern caves and infiltrated down the length of the island. This final spasm of Japanese opposition still reflected the influence of Kuribayashi's tactical discipline. The 300-man force took all night to move into position around the island's now vulnerable rear base area, the tents occupied by freshly arrived Army pilots of VII Fighter Command, adjacent to Airfield No. 1. The counterattacking force achieved total surprise, falling on the sleeping pilots out of the darkness with swords, grenades, and automatic weapons. The fighting was as vicious and bloody as any that occurred in Iwo Jima's many arenas.

The surviving pilots and members of the 5th Pioneer Battalion improvised a skirmish line and launched a counterattack of their own. Seabees and elements of the redeploying 28th Marines joined the fray. There were few suicides among the Japanese; most died in place, grateful to strike one final blow for the Emperor. Sunrise revealed the awful carnage: 300 dead Japanese; more than 100 slain pilots, Seabees, and pioneers; and another 200 American wounded. It was a grotesque closing chapter to five continuous weeks of savagery."
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2011, 12:48:39 PM »
Thanks for showing us this Bat. Very cool.  :aok

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2011, 12:50:49 PM »
Grandpa was a lucky man to still be around for so long.  Wow!

It was the evening of 25 March, D+34, and the amphibious assault on the rocky fortress of Iwo Jima finally appeared over. The island grew strangely quiet. There were far fewer illumination shells. In the flickering false light, some saw shadowy figures, moving south, towards the airfield.

General Schmidt received the good news that the 5th Marine Division had snuffed out the final enemy cave in The Gorge on the evening of D+34. But even as the corps commander prepared his announcement declaring the end of organized resistance on Iwo Jima, a very well-organized enemy force emerged from northern caves and infiltrated down the length of the island. This final spasm of Japanese opposition still reflected the influence of Kuribayashi's tactical discipline. The 300-man force took all night to move into position around the island's now vulnerable rear base area, the tents occupied by freshly arrived Army pilots of VII Fighter Command, adjacent to Airfield No. 1. The counterattacking force achieved total surprise, falling on the sleeping pilots out of the darkness with swords, grenades, and automatic weapons. The fighting was as vicious and bloody as any that occurred in Iwo Jima's many arenas.

The surviving pilots and members of the 5th Pioneer Battalion improvised a skirmish line and launched a counterattack of their own. Seabees and elements of the redeploying 28th Marines joined the fray. There were few suicides among the Japanese; most died in place, grateful to strike one final blow for the Emperor. Sunrise revealed the awful carnage: 300 dead Japanese; more than 100 slain pilots, Seabees, and pioneers; and another 200 American wounded. It was a grotesque closing chapter to five continuous weeks of savagery.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline remy1dog

• Zinc Member
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2011, 02:06:17 PM »
As a child growing up i knew my grandfather served in the pacific in the 81st Infantry Wildcat division as a radio-man. And at that time i did not realize what he had went through. His brother was a navigator in a B-17 and i was more interested in his stories. I just didnt realize at that age what really went on in the pacific. You would hear about "Omaha beach", "Battle of the bulge" and the Germans. Just not much about the pacific. I look back and I feel the guys in the pacific was not givin as much lime light as the euro campaign(thats just an opinion).

Just like many others who served in the pacific, they dont talk about it much. My grandfather is now 91 and is still trucking along like a 60 year old. Still has all his whits and hearing. As i have gotten older he tells me more and more stories a little more  everytime. I enlisted in the marine corp right out of high school.Needless to say he was not to happy about that choice. For he knows what serving in the military could hold.

I asked my grandad if he was ever hurt? His answer was "just my feelings". Did you ever shoot anybody? he shrugs his shoulders and tries to change the subject. He said that when he got home he just wanted to forget about the whole thing.. He says one thing that sticks in his mind every night while he tries to go to sleep is.. One morning on Peleliu, the sheeling started, went on all day, all night and into the next night. He said he was so tired the palm trees would turn into japs. Him and somebody cant recall who he said, had crawled into a hole to try and get some sleep, he said he did doze off for a little bit, but the heat from the sun had woke him . And he realized that he had been laying on a bunch of dead guys.I said grandad what did you say to the guy in the hole with you? He said "Nothing, he was dead.I think he shot himself in the middle of night but im not sure."

So to my grandfather and all those who served in any war a BIG  :salute. And a even bigger thank you..

I think Tom Brokaw said it best in the title of his book. "The Greatest Generation"..
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 02:38:24 PM by remy1dog »

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2011, 08:12:14 PM »
Very cool, I work for an Alcoa(now Sapa) Aluminum Extrusion plant myself. Thanks for the post.
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline TOMCAT21

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2011, 08:12:30 PM »
RETIRED US Army/ Flying and dying since Tour 80/"We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded." - Capt. Richard Winters.  FSO 412th FNVG/MA- REGULATORS

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2011, 08:49:47 PM »

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2011, 08:56:14 PM »
Wow!  Thanks for digging that up Corky. That validates his story completely. It's surreal to read accounts of battles like that and know your own grandfather was there.  That book looks like a good one; I'll get it and give it a read.  I really appreciate the info and the tip on the book, Corky.  I'm going to do some more digging and get with my uncle who has all of his military records and see what else I can learn.

That's an amazing story too remy1dog.  Treasure your granddad while you still have him. Give him a big   :salute for me.
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2011, 09:26:28 PM »
Wow!  Thanks for digging that up Corky. That validates his story completely. It's surreal to read accounts of battles like that and know your own grandfather was there.  That book looks like a good one; I'll get it and give it a read.  I really appreciate the info and the tip on the book, Corky.  I'm going to do some more digging and get with my uncle who has all of his military records and see what else I can learn.

That's an amazing story too remy1dog.  Treasure your granddad while you still have him. Give him a big   :salute for me.

And of course you will let us know what you learn too right? :)

Needless to say I eat this stuff up

I knew of it because of my interest in the VLR Mustangs off Iwo.  It was the 21st FG tents that got hit and they lost their Group CO in the Japanese attack.  The fairly recent Osprey book "Very Long Range P51 Mustang Units of the Pacific War" by Carl Molesworth, has some eyewitness descriptions too from the pilots and ground crew.  They initially thought the Marines were messing with them when the gunfire broke out.

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline remy1dog

• Zinc Member
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2011, 01:06:52 AM »
I have a leaflet that was dropped on peleliu by a japanese plane. I tried to scan it but it turned out not readable (its in pretty bad shape). but it reads.

POOR, RECKLESS YANKEE-DOODLE
 Do you know about the naval battle one by the american 58th fleet at sea, near taiwan (Tomosa) and Philippine.
Japanese powerful air force had sank their 19 aeroplane carriers, 4battleships, 10 several cruisers and destroyers along with sending 1,261 ship aeroplanes into the sea. From the result, we think that you can imagine what shall happen next around palau upon you. The fraud Rousevelt, hanging the president election under his nose and from his policy ambition, worked not only poor NIMMIT but also maccasir like a robot.Like this, WHAT IS PITTY!!
must be sacrifice you pay. Thanks for your advice notes of surrender.But we havn't any reason to surrender to those who are fated to be totally destroyed in a few days later. ADD TO YOU AGAINST THE MANNER OF YOUR ATTACK PAYING NO HEED TO HUMANITY, YOUR GOD SHALL MAKE JAPANESE FORCE TO ADD RELATIVE ATTACK UPON YOU.
                JAPAN MILITARY

I also have maps for artillery cords from alot of the islands he was on. I will try and scan them . So i can share them with you guys they are real neat. Maps on where to attack. And where the enemy was supposed to be. But like i said everything i have traveled a long way to get back to the states so most of it just wont turn out when scanned..