Author Topic: DYING DYING Dying in the MA  (Read 2265 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: DYING DYING Dying in the MA
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2011, 02:38:26 AM »
my first plane was the b26's  easy to learn, easy to fly, easy to get kills in.  my second plane was the zero after a few thousands deaths, i got to do ok in it.  the next plane was the spit9, i got to love that dweeb plane, until i flew the spit8.  call me a spit dweeb all you want after i kill you  :D.  when i want some easy kills, i get the p51 or the fw190.  nothing beats the lazy bnz or picking planes (specially vamp :)) with those two.

except for the 109 when actually flown in other than trying to rope attitude and the p38.  most so called "man's planes" are just glorified easy mode planes.

did i tell you that while dying the first 10,000 times, I also had fun?  I learned back then that as long as i get to shoot once, even if I dont hit anything, that it's fun for me.  and oh yeah, i always yell "get some, get some"  while pulling the trigger, unless  my gf comes in and tells me to shut the hell up.

semp

you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2011, 10:55:29 AM »
I find the three most common mistakes that I see in the MA (and commit myself) are probably.

1. Lack of SA
2. Misjudging either the bad guys E or my own speed/rate of closure
3. Flying a predictable flight path.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline thomace

• Zinc Member
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2011, 11:26:45 AM »
This game takes no skill, it only needs no life so you have time to climb higher than the other guy before diving on them.

altitude advantage has been "fighter 101" since ww1 til right now...

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2011, 12:45:08 PM »
I find the three most common mistakes that I see in the MA (and commit myself) are probably.

1. Lack of SA
2. Misjudging either the bad guys E or my own speed/rate of closure
3. Flying a predictable flight path.

Agree with this, I would also add "get off the damn gas" once in awhile  :)

Also don't allow too much verticle separation at the merge unless YOU are the "low one"  :aok for If he is lower he is already behind you   :joystick:

JUGgler
Army of Muppets

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2011, 01:28:33 PM »
The best defensive move is one that will put you in a position of offense ... if the other guy makes a mistake.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline VAMPIRE 2?

• Copper Member
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2011, 03:24:29 PM »

Agree with this, I would also add "get off the damn gas" once in awhile  :)

Also don't allow too much verticle separation at the merge unless YOU are the "low one"  :aok for If he is lower he is already behind you   :joystick:

JUGgler

ooh  I like this high lighted one. I need a demonstration of this! usually in vertical separation, and I'm under neath, it just means hes on top of me...??? so i need to fix this....
412TH braunco mustangs <--or so I hope lol

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2011, 03:46:48 PM »
ooh  I like this high lighted one. I need a demonstration of this! usually in vertical separation, and I'm under neath, it just means hes on top of me...??? so i need to fix this....

Think of it like this ...

There is 100 ft of vertical separation between us at the merge and we are traveling at the same speed ... equal E.

You are above me (100 ft) and as soon as we merge ...

You pull up ... I pull up ... I am now 100 ft behind you.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline VAMPIRE 2?

• Copper Member
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2011, 03:50:32 PM »
Think of it like this ...

There is 100 ft of vertical separation between us at the merge and we are traveling at the same speed ... equal E.

You are above me (100 ft) and as soon as we merge ...

You pull up ... I pull up ... I am now 100 ft behind you.

if I read this right. if I'm under you.... you would be looking at the stars, or sky, and I would be looking at your tail.   not helping...

Offline The Jekyll

• Nickel Member
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2011, 04:01:45 PM »
I suck because I choose to!

OK better define what it means to 'suck' in the MA better

If sucking means dying often in the MA, then I am king of suckage.

How do I do this so well?  I more often then not am below the bad guys.  I more often then not, fly into a large crowd of red.  I can generally be found in the P38G below and flying into the large crowd of red.  I do it well because that's how I choose to play.

I did a little experiment not too long ago.  I put myself in 51B, 51D and Spit VIII.  I flew them and fought only with the advantage.  I got bored fairly fast.  But my K/D was 9.  My K/D in the 38G was under 1.  

What did I learn?  I learned that I have a short attention span.  I learned that if I only flew with the advantage, I too can look like I know what I'm doing.  I learned that I have more fun wading into a fight regardless and that I die often in those circumstances.

If your goal is to not 'die' in your cartoon plane, it's really fairly simple.  
-Don't engage without an advantage.
-Alt is life
-Stay fast
-Only use your planes strengths, don't play into the other guys plane strengths
-Fly a cartoon plane that has more advantages then disadvantages
-When in doubt, run

If your goal is to have fun in AH
-Don't worry about dying.  You'll learn a lot more about the performance of your particular plane that way by fighting it regardless of advantage or disadvantage
-Fly however you enjoy the game the most and quit worrying about what the other guy thinks.
-Remember no one is really dying

:aok :aok

Couldn't have said it better
Yea, simply because I can

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2011, 09:24:41 AM »
As mentioned...stick with a plane...it isn't just coincidence the most deadly players always fly the same aircraft(s). I know what newbies think..they take a Spit up, get owned by a Niki, then say to themselves, "Damn, that Niki is a good plane". So, next hop they take a Niki up, then they get whacked by a P51 and the cycle continues. It's not the plane that killed you, it's the guy flying it. He knows his plane better than you know yours and simply used that knowledge and your lack thereof to his advantage.

I know some get bored flying the same plane. So, if you are one of those people my suggestion is to pick a perk plane, a sub 10 ENY plane and a sub 20 ENY plane to get really good at and stick with them. Then you will have one to use in every situation. I would also suggest not mixing gun platform types. By that I mean pick either wing mounted gun package planes or nose/cowl mounted. The reason is, the mental aiming process is subtlety different between them and adapting to that from one flight to the next compounds the difficulty of success exponentially.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 10:36:53 AM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2011, 10:48:22 AM »
I thought we were suppose to die in the MA.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2011, 11:30:06 AM »
if I read this right. if I'm under you.... you would be looking at the stars, or sky, and I would be looking at your tail.   not helping...

You read it right ... your just not comprehending the concept of what JUGgler pointed out ... for If he is lower he is already behind you

If I am looking at the stars, or sky and you are looking at my tail ... would you not be "behind" me ?
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Offline VAMPIRE 2?

• Copper Member
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2011, 03:11:23 PM »
You read it right ... your just not comprehending the concept of what JUGgler pointed out ... for If he is lower he is already behind you

If I am looking at the stars, or sky and you are looking at my tail ... would you not be "behind" me ?

absolutely.

but this would fall under the definition of the "ROPE" maneuver. right?  I don't think that this is what he was implying. He is stating,  in my opinion,  that if he was underneath the above or attacker,  that he would still have the advantage point, in saying lower and slower already to be behind.  I just need an example that will HELP me with comprehending it. I believe there is a huge difference in understanding something vs. comprehending it.     much like the vastness of space. can anyone REALLY comprehend just how vast space really is?   so I need to sit in an aircraft while it pulls off the ingenious maneuver and probably 100 more times again plus PRACTICE to be able to comprehend it.     :salute 

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2011, 03:31:56 PM »
absolutely.

but this would fall under the definition of the "ROPE" maneuver. right?  I don't think that this is what he was implying. He is stating,  in my opinion,  that if he was underneath the above or attacker,  that he would still have the advantage point, in saying lower and slower already to be behind.  I just need an example that will HELP me with comprehending it. I believe there is a huge difference in understanding something vs. comprehending it.     much like the vastness of space. can anyone REALLY comprehend just how vast space really is?   so I need to sit in an aircraft while it pulls off the ingenious maneuver and probably 100 more times again plus PRACTICE to be able to comprehend it.     :salute  

Take a quarter and trace the left "half" circle from 6 to 12 oclock, while still holding the quarter slide it 1/2 a quarters width down now draw the right "half" circle from 6 to 12 oclock! What do you see! bang bang!

Fundamentals man!  

I think that was lesson #8  :)

JUGgler
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 03:44:59 PM by JUGgler »
Army of Muppets

Offline VAMPIRE 2?

• Copper Member
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2011, 04:01:13 PM »

Take a quarter and trace the left "half" circle from 6 to 12 oclock, while still holding the quarter slide it 1/2 a quarters width down now draw the right "half" circle from 6 to 12 oclock! What do you see! bang bang!

Fundamentals man!  

I think that was lesson #8  :)

JUGgler

crap I'm sorry I just realized you said in the "merge."     I was thinking same direction one above the other, the lower having the "behind" advantage.     :frown: