Author Topic: So. who is really to blame?  (Read 1773 times)

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
Re: So. who is really to blame?
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 10:18:47 AM »
We had an incident up here where a kid was alongside a school bus and as it pulled away the kid slipped off the small snow birm next to the front tire and got his leg ran over. It was broke in 2 places.

It happens

You're alive!!!!  Camadore Kamori!!!  :D
Tours 86 - 296

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 10:19:59 AM »
same here...but, we're talking about having parents that took responsibility for their children's behavior...doesn't happen today

I really weep for the future of my children.

They are either going to be shunned by their peers because they take responsibility for their own actions

or

They will make out exceptionally well in the real world from learning some self-discipline
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 10:21:27 AM »
WHAT?    :O

You made him WALK?   :O

He didn't DIE?   :O

It even taught him a lesson?  

:noid

lol   my son calls me old school hardass but in a good way, hard being a single dad in this world lol

edit... when i told him to walk to school he had 25 min to make the bell, if your late the Xbox will be gone for a week, he wasn't late
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 10:24:19 AM by 68ZooM »
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2011, 10:25:13 AM »
lol   my son calls me old school hardass but in a good way, hard being a single dad in this world lol

edit... when i told him to walk to school he had 25 min to make the bell, if your late the Xbox will be gone for a week, he wasn't late

You may be on to something...

Offline kotrenin

• Nickel Member
      • http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRaTekm9Ak8
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2011, 10:27:46 AM »
OK, so somewhere around 10. Does he have any behavioral issues e.g. ADD or ADHD?  And if the tardiness to the bus stop is a recurring issue why can't a parent walk him there and wait with him? 

I'm not picking a side here, I have 3 kids, a 6yo girl, a 5yo boy and a 16 month boy.  My daughter is impossible in the morning (most of the time really, although she has not been diagnosed yet she probably has ADD.) My older son, however, will be dressed and waiting for breakfast in 10 minutes once I drag him out of bed.  I'm seeing a little of both sides here and I think the parents should be more involved in his morning routine, also the bus driver needs to not let himself become complacent with a continually tardy child.  Complacency kills. Really that goes for all involved, driver, parents and child.

And the last question is the kid lying to save face with the parents?  Blame the driver, obviously the parents were not there to witness this first hand.
He's a lover, not a fighter... but he's also a fighter, so don't get any ideas. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRaTekm9Ak8  http://one_foggy.tripod.com/sounds/afu_jokeson.wav

Offline NormH3

• Nickel Member
      • We do good things!
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2011, 10:30:30 AM »
The sad thing is that people feel that they have to display their lives on the internet.

by the way..I'm 6'2 185 blue eyes and brown hair

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2011, 10:33:04 AM »
The sad thing is that people feel that they have to display their lives on the internet.

by the way..I'm 6'2 185 blue eyes and brown hair

I'm 6'3" 250  :D

Oh, that's exactly what you were talking about....  :bolt:
Tours 86 - 296

Offline Flipperk

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2011, 10:38:22 AM »
same here...but, we're talking about having parents that took responsibility for their children's behavior...doesn't happen today

LOL WOW!!

You don't think that is what exactly your older piers said when you were in school???

Today is exactly the same as yesterday, you are just in a different position today than you were yesterday.
It is 2 Cents or .02 Dollars...NOT .02 Cents!

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2011, 10:47:54 AM »

LOL WOW!!

You don't think that is what exactly your older piers said when you were in school???

Today is exactly the same as yesterday, you are just in a different position today than you were yesterday.
actually, i grew up in a time when the entire neighborhood took responsibility for each others kids...the type of parental behavior you see today was uncommon...not considered normal...those who let their children behave the way people do now were shunned by the rest of the community, not accepted.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2011, 11:10:07 AM »
The bus driver has no idea why the kid might have been a few seconds late.  Even if he/she does, it is not her job to discipline my kid.  I will deal with my kid if she late consistently or has problems getting ready in the morning.  However, if I feel the driver put them in any danger, he/she has a good chance of ending up in the hospital.  It is my job to parent my kids.  Not yours, not the drivers.  He/she has no idea if the kid was sick, if I lost power and the alarms did not work, if the parent works nights, etc.  He does not need to know.  Not her job.  Drive the bus and keep the kids safe. 

Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2011, 11:14:51 AM »
Just more of the "Teacher gave me an F."  or the "I got an A." way of thinking.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2011, 11:26:08 AM »
OK, so somewhere around 10. Does he have any behavioral issues e.g. ADD or ADHD?  And if the tardiness to the bus stop is a recurring issue why can't a parent walk him there and wait with him?  

I'm not picking a side here, I have 3 kids, a 6yo girl, a 5yo boy and a 16 month boy.  My daughter is impossible in the morning (most of the time really, although she has not been diagnosed yet she probably has ADD.) My older son, however, will be dressed and waiting for breakfast in 10 minutes once I drag him out of bed.  I'm seeing a little of both sides here and I think the parents should be more involved in his morning routine, also the bus driver needs to not let himself become complacent with a continually tardy child.  Complacency kills. Really that goes for all involved, driver, parents and child.

And the last question is the kid lying to save face with the parents?  Blame the driver, obviously the parents were not there to witness this first hand.

Keys, wallet, phone in same place every day <check>

Tomorrow's clothes ready the night before <check>

Fifteen minutes added to preparation time, just for good measure <check>

For someone with rampant ADD, like myself, the elimination of ambiguity is a powerful deterrent against the morning "where is my crap, I have to be somewhere on time" chaos.

Using ADD is never an excuse for failure, just a reason to be more mindful of distractions than others would have to be and make adjustments

Offline thomace

• Zinc Member
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2011, 11:34:40 AM »
not to mention if you beat your kids bellybutton these days...you might end up in jail...when we were kids...I'm 48...we were considered our parents "property"...those days are gone...not sayin' it's right...matter of fact...I think the way things are today reflects too many "consolation trophies" out there... :uhoh

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2011, 11:35:20 AM »
The bus driver has no idea why the kid might have been a few seconds late.  Even if he/she does, it is not her job to discipline my kid.  I will deal with my kid if she late consistently or has problems getting ready in the morning.  However, if I feel the driver put them in any danger, he/she has a good chance of ending up in the hospital.  It is my job to parent my kids.  Not yours, not the drivers.  He/she has no idea if the kid was sick, if I lost power and the alarms did not work, if the parent works nights, etc.  He does not need to know.  Not her job.  Drive the bus and keep the kids safe. 

It is the bus driver's job to pick students up, on time, at the bus stop. It is a service contracted by the school to transport many many children to school in a timely fashion

It is neither a limousine, nor a taxi.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2011, 11:45:25 AM »
I guess I and most of the guys in this thread see things a little differently than the average parent.  My job was to instill a sense of discipline, a work ethic, and a moral compass, into my son.  I think I've accomplished that.

And yes when I was growing up I'd much have rathered my mom or dad catching me doing something stupid than to have a neighbor report it to them.  The butt whippings were not as severe in the former case.

Fortunately I didn't have to do much corporal punishment on my son. 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute