Author Topic: So. who is really to blame?  (Read 1763 times)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
Re: So. who is really to blame?
« Reply #90 on: February 25, 2011, 03:13:58 PM »
Nope.

I just spoke to the mother this morning and he (the kid) admitted that he (again, as kids are wont to do), stretched the facts so that it didn't look like he was dragging his bellybutton again and missed the bus.  He was ,as was the mother (not surprising where he got the notion from), trying to deflect his failure to be punctual onto someone else, rather than own up to his own mistakes.

All cleared up.  No need to thank me, just throw money.

:salute

*grabs two hands full of pennies and takes aim  :devil
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #91 on: February 25, 2011, 04:21:13 PM »
*grabs two hands full of pennies and takes aim  :devil

use a sling shot........ :devil
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2011, 04:39:36 PM »
Behavioral issues have nothing to do with this kid not making the bus. IF someone was to snatch a knot in his arse as my grand father says then there would not be any issues.

As for me...electronics for the kids only on the weekends and then only a couple of hours each day. They have to work out the timing and they have to do it nicely. If they fuss then its mine all weekend and for the next three weekends. It has only happened once that they fought over the device.

Also grades don't get paid for they are expected and as I remind them each week; they are a reflection upon the family. Not just their immediate family but all members of it and as such they are to hold themselves to a standard of "Don't embarrass the family"; anything less is their responsibility and they need to be accountable for what happens. I was taught this from about 7 years old and I started with my 7 year old son last year on his birthday. My 14 year old knows what is expected and knew it about 30 days after turning 7.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #93 on: February 25, 2011, 05:04:58 PM »
Two things that are missing from this thread that were "bread n butter" back when I was in high school:

A)  Do kids not sleep on the bus anymore?  I understand you might get messed with, but that's how you establish yourself in the food chain, nobody will mess with ya while ya sleep on the bus if ya wake up a few times swinging and asking questions later.

B)  First-period gym/PE was coveted gold!  You could sleep in later, not have to really worry about getting dressed for school, get out of the house later (or sleep more).  Then after PE you hit the showers and take your usual morning shower (our teachers/coaches/athletic-directors even gave 1st period an extra 5-10 in the showers for those getting ready for their day), bust out a clean pair of jeans and a T-shirt you stashed in your pack the night before, and I was ready to sleep through, err attend 2nd-period and the rest of my classes.  Usually got an extra hour of sleep in my mornings, a good workout, and smelling like flowers before the start of my 2nd class.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 05:06:50 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #94 on: February 25, 2011, 07:21:20 PM »
Two things that are missing from this thread that were "bread n butter" back when I was in high school:

A)  Do kids not sleep on the bus anymore?  I understand you might get messed with, but that's how you establish yourself in the food chain, nobody will mess with ya while ya sleep on the bus if ya wake up a few times swinging and asking questions later.

B)  First-period gym/PE was coveted gold!  You could sleep in later, not have to really worry about getting dressed for school, get out of the house later (or sleep more).  Then after PE you hit the showers and take your usual morning shower (our teachers/coaches/athletic-directors even gave 1st period an extra 5-10 in the showers for those getting ready for their day), bust out a clean pair of jeans and a T-shirt you stashed in your pack the night before, and I was ready to sleep through, err attend 2nd-period and the rest of my classes.  Usually got an extra hour of sleep in my mornings, a good workout, and smelling like flowers before the start of my 2nd class.

The bus arrives at 6:30, and the ride is only five minutes long.  Fighting results in instant suspension, three or more fights result in either reform school or expulsion.

No, PE is only required for one semester, and not arriving promptly at or before 7:20 will be dealt with harshly.  The showers are fetid and foul- and there only 4 for a population of over 1,100 students. 

As for being rational, I know, just as you all do, that not taking a full load each and every semester will result in colleges overlooking your application.  Not getting A's in your Honors and AP courses?  Instabanned.  No sport with that report card?  Permabanned.  Thus I am stuck with 4 Honors courses this year (bloody English homework cost me the fifth), and 4 Honors and 1 AP course next year (there's only one for sophmores).

I wish I didn't need sleep, but the school has failed to evolve beyond the decade in which it was born.  Classes finish at 14:20, and that extra hour in the afternoon is trivial in value, compared to an hour more sleep in the morning. 

-Penguin