Author Topic: The Historical Arena and HOs, Picking, Ganging, and all that Jazz  (Read 4094 times)

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
Re: The Historical Arena and HOs, Picking, Ganging, and all that Jazz
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2011, 11:25:24 AM »
This past weekend was I tried the AvA arena and really enjoyed it.   Years ago, I used to be a regular back in the old Combat Theater? (or whatever it was called) with historical matchups and short range icons.  But no icons is even better!   I love the close-in fights where you can actually ID the skin of the plane you are fighting, and you have time to really engage and try some ACM without worrying about some Spit or Tempest barrelling into the fight and picking you off.

I have found pilots on both sides to be fair and friendly so far, and plan on spending more time in this arena in the future.

<S>

So when you going to quit goofing off and become a regular again Terry? Besides I think I hear the sound of twin Allisons in next weeks setup...  :D

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline skagneti

• Zinc Member
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2011, 12:04:59 PM »
my .02

Bottom line if you don't like what is happening at the time...leave for a while and come back and it will likely have changed.  I don't like excessive HOing...it happens,  I leave and come back and usually the people and environment have changed.  I don't like people that will only BnZ you all day with superior numbers...same solution leave and come back. 

Although I am have occasionally been guilty of a whine or two.  In general my philosophy above stands. Why piss in the punch...

The scenery changes like the weather here in Nebraska...just make sure you come back since it will likely be nice and sunny when you do   :salute

Offline NormH3

• Nickel Member
      • We do good things!
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2011, 12:53:23 PM »
So when you going to quit goofing off and become a regular again Terry? Besides I think I hear the sound of twin Allisons in next weeks setup...  :D

OK..stop teasing.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2011, 01:14:49 PM »
my .02

Bottom line if you don't like what is happening at the time...leave for a while and come back and it will likely have changed. I don't like excessive HOing...it happens,  I leave and come back and usually the people and environment have changed.  I don't like people that will only BnZ you all day with superior numbers...same solution leave and come back.  

Although I am have occasionally been guilty of a whine or two.  In general my philosophy above stands. Why piss in the punch...

The scenery changes like the weather here in Nebraska...just make sure you come back since it will likely be nice and sunny when you do   :salute

some RICH hypocrisy indeed

I agree, if you don't like the current situation. leave go take a break, go fly in another location...... or go return the same favor a hypocrite has done unto you  :aok

but one should not post hypocritical claims ...... just makes you look all  :lol Hehe!  :lol   :rofl

what is a good file hosting site that does not cause problems for people downloading ...... I want to host a film a or 2 for the AvsA players viewing pleasure....
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline skagneti

• Zinc Member
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2011, 02:09:11 PM »
TC I hope my point wasn't missed. I am not always on my best behavior either, but bottom line when something you don't like is happening wait a bit and it is likely to change.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2011, 02:13:47 PM »
i simply do not log in if i think i'm in a mood where i may act like an ass.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline skagneti

• Zinc Member
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2011, 02:23:54 PM »
good system CAP...if I applied that policy to being an bellybutton and drinking I don't think I'd get a chance to fly much  :D

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2011, 02:43:19 PM »
i just yell at my monitor alot. i just have to make sure i'm not pressing any buttons!

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2011, 02:46:12 PM »
i just yell at my monitor alot. i just have to make sure i'm not pressing any buttons!

i tried that once.....but i habitually hit the PTT button on my throttle when i talk.......or yell....or curse.........so i hafta kinda try to not yell or curse.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline AHTbolt

• Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2011, 08:50:35 AM »
He guys, i love smart phones so i can keep up with the topic at hand. Thanks for all the replies i read each post with great intrest. Now let me ask a question for all to ponder, if a squad of 4 to 6 starts taking bases and airfields but are leaving you alone but are getting closer to you field what is your gut reaction 1. Leave till the creatons leave 2. Start a storm of cries and whines 3. Rally your troops hash out a counter attack plan and fight back.  Give your answer first then your reason for it and please dont comment on other answers i am just trying to get to know everyone and your opinions.
AWWWWW CRAP YOU SHOT WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In the desert somewhere west of Kuwait 1991.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2011, 09:10:25 AM »
He guys, i love smart phones so i can keep up with the topic at hand. Thanks for all the replies i read each post with great intrest. Now let me ask a question for all to ponder, if a squad of 4 to 6 starts taking bases and airfields but are leaving you alone but are getting closer to you field what is your gut reaction 1. Leave till the creatons leave 2. Start a storm of cries and whines 3. Rally your troops hash out a counter attack plan and fight back.  Give your answer first then your reason for it and please dont comment on other answers i am just trying to get to know everyone and your opinions.

if you want ground battle, get in touch with dichotomy, or molsman on here. they love JEEP battles.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2011, 09:41:38 AM »
TBolt,

The whole premise of the game is combat.  I like defending, mainly because I don't like flying/driving a long time to find a fight - and defending brings the baddies to me.  :t

So if a squad comes in and tries to roll bases, if I'm on I'm defending and having a blast.  There's no rule that says base captures in the AvA are forbidden; it's just that the maps are small with relatively few bases.  Depending on the map, one or two captured bases can many times force so much distance between frontline bases that it's a chore to get to a fight.

The whole reason base captures are in the game is to promote combat, but the AvA is special in that the small maps and low player numbers make base captures pretty much unnecessary for combat. 
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2011, 09:48:20 AM »

This is going to depend largely on the setup and who is in the arena at the time.

Most of the time people are going to flock to where the action is, so generally you will get some opposition.

Territory capture is something the arena probably needs to really be well rounded but with a smaller population it's too easy to overwhelm and kill the fight.

One thing to keep in mind is that winning the war and rolling the map doesn't work well in here and generally just causes the map to pork into an unplayable configuration.

If you are not getting a lot of opposition it would be best to stop short of capturing the whole map.

Hopefully there will be enough players that it will turn into a "Battle Royale."

There are some setups where capture isn't enabled so if you are looking for objective based play you may want to pick another yardstick such as trying to white flag as many towns as you can etc.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2011, 09:59:21 AM »
One thing to keep in mind is that winning the war and rolling the map doesn't work well in here and generally just causes the map to pork into an unplayable configuration.

In fact, to make it explicit:  You cannot win the war here like you can in the MAs.  Taking all the enemy's bases incapacitates the arena until one of us can get in to fix it.

- oldman

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2011, 10:33:20 AM »
In fact, to make it explicit:  You cannot win the war here like you can in the MAs.  Taking all the enemy's bases incapacitates the arena until one of us can get in to fix it.

- oldman

To emphasize the preceeding few comments re base capture.... if you want actual opposition, just annouce that you're going to try and level a certain base's hangars or town whether by air or GV or both and see if anyone is willing to defend. No need for an actual capture... consider all hangars down and white flagged town as a "done deal" and pat yourselves on the back.

Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798