Author Topic: Easy Planes to get kills in  (Read 2803 times)

Offline Imowface

• Silver Member
Re: Easy Planes to get kills in
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2011, 08:17:52 AM »
Hey bro, little bit of advice for a fellow Lala driver.  You're better off reducing the rpm's as opposed to the throttle, you'll get much greater range for the amount of fuel used.
take it to 9k full throttle no wep and set it at 2100 rpm and you will have 30 min of fuel
Ла-5 Пилот снова
NASA spent 12 million dollars to develop a pen that could work in space, Russia went to space with pencils...

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2011, 08:44:04 AM »
somehow I felt guilty reading this  :D
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Wildcat1

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2011, 03:22:42 PM »
Some of the easiest kills I have had have been in a turny plane diving in i.e. Hurri 1. You get on someones six 200 out game over. To get back to land kills in these planes though it is more often luck than judgement if you are any distance from a friendly base.

Probably the easiest planes to get a kill in are the Brewster, Zero, Hurri 2c etc landing them is often a different story. When it comes to skill though I would say the above offer allot of return for very little in close 1 v 1. If I was advising a newb how to get his first non HO kill I would suggest dive into a furball in one of the above and get hold of someones six and hold on to it.

Experienced players with a bit of nouse seem to use the slow turners close to their base or CV.

that's what's so great about the wildcat. stick that nose down, and it becomes just as fast as any other plane, and can turn inside of them still. and you're right, the only time i ever land kills in a wildcat is when i'm defending a base or CV :lol
having fun and getting killed since tour 110
The King of 'Cobras. 350th FG, Tunisia 2016

Air Traffic Controller (Air Warfare/Surface Warfare) 2nd Class, USS John C. Stennis CVN-74

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2011, 01:12:37 AM »

When you really look at the stats on the birds, you'll find that the P-51D is actually a very mediocre fighter.  It's only big advantage in terms of real-life:  It's range.

When it first entered the field, it was much faster than its typical opposition (109G6s and 190As) with comparable maneuverability.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2011, 01:59:09 AM »
Ok.. it's American History Lecture time.
Keep in mind, I had lived WW2 aircraft from grade school ( we had these things called Libraries.. they had books.. we read books.  Spam was something mom served for dinner.  And getting booted was something that happened when dad didn't feel like sending you out to the woods to find a switch ) and these fancy-dancy flight sims didn't show up until I was 30, or so..

However, I still don't like the LA-7..   :devil

Heh!   :aok

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2011, 02:41:05 AM »
The P-51's reputation is NOT propaganda. When it entered service it was much faster than its typical opposition while exhibiting climb and turn parity with them (at altitude.). IOW, it was every fighter pilot's wet dream.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2011, 02:54:59 AM »
I sincerely doubt that very many pilots in action pushed their aircraft to the limits that cartoon pilots do.  Take away the purposeful stalls, and wing overs, I believe the pony would have been the pilots choice.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2011, 03:03:07 AM »
I sincerely doubt that very many pilots in action pushed their aircraft to the limits that cartoon pilots do.  Take away the purposeful stalls, and wing overs, I believe the pony would have been the pilots choice.

I sincerely doubt your sincere doubt  :D

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2011, 03:07:20 AM »
Don't ignore the P-51D's ord package either. The ability to carry 3000 lbs. of ords and then fight effectively after delivering them is a huge in-game asset - I assume that's why the F4U-1D has a lower ENY than the -1A despite being an inferior fighter. To put it another way, don't just compare the pony's fighting ability relative to pure fighters, compare it to other planes able to carry a similar ord loadout and its fighting ability looks more impressive.

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2011, 03:19:55 AM »
The P-51's reputation is NOT propaganda. When it entered service it was much faster than its typical opposition while exhibiting climb and turn parity with them (at altitude.). IOW, it was every fighter pilot's wet dream.

The Pony was typically a generation ahead of other fighters of the era and lasted longer I beleieve than any other in front line service with admitedly second rate military powers.

It has speed, range, manovreability but above all it had numbers. There is no comparable air craft on the allied or axis side.

One of its great strenghts in game is that is discourages you from getting into energy sapping dog fights which increases your chances of RTB. US fighter pilots would be looking to escourt bombers and kill german fighters ideally on the ground though the Pony used correclty is a match for all but the 262 in the air. If they outnumbered the enemy 2 or 3 to 1 I am sure they didn't mind
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 03:21:33 AM by Yarbles »
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"