Author Topic: HQ Bomb load  (Read 1682 times)

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
HQ Bomb load
« on: February 26, 2011, 07:58:40 PM »
How many perks do you need to take down HQ? The AH training site says 371000lb, but that sounds a little to much.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: HQ Bomb load
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 08:01:58 PM »
How many perks do you need to take down HQ? The AH training site says 371000lb,

It does say 37   1000lbs bombs = 37,000lbs, not 371000 ;)

oh, and the reason it's expressing the needed lbs in 1000lbds bombs is that the program itself is set up that way. A 1000lbs bomb is standard by which everything is measured and actually "worth" 1000lbs of damage. Smaller bombs have more power for their size, bigger bombs have less.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 08:04:31 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 08:45:36 PM »
Ahh, got it, thanks.

So now a single person can take out the HQ  :x
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 08:52:20 PM »
So now a single person can take out the HQ  :x

In theory, yes. But it's very difficult. The HQ is a hardened target similar to a SB, all bombs must be direct hits. Combined with relatively small size it means that a Lancaster has to fly either very slow, or use at least two passes. Both dangerous options with a 163 base nearby.
I did only one try with the B-29 yet (4x4000lbs), but I did find that the formation is spread too far apart (huge wingspan) to achieve hits by all three planes.

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 10:05:28 PM »
In theory, yes. But it's very difficult. The HQ is a hardened target similar to a SB, all bombs must be direct hits. Combined with relatively small size it means that a Lancaster has to fly either very slow, or use at least two passes. Both dangerous options with a 163 base nearby.
I did only one try with the B-29 yet (4x4000lbs), but I did find that the formation is spread too far apart (huge wingspan) to achieve hits by all three planes.

Thanks for the explanation. Always wondered about formations being able to hit HQ with more than one plane.
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 10:07:08 PM »

What if you take 40 500lb? 40x500=20000x3=60000lb
                                     4x4000=16000x3=48000lb
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 10:24:18 PM »
What if you take 40 500lb? 40x500=20000x3=60000lb
                                     4x4000=16000x3=48000lb

48K would be more than sufficient if you hit. With 40 bombs it's even more difficult to get the required hits than with 4. IF you drop 40 bombs with minimum delay at 350mph, the resulting line of impact is almost 90 yards long.  And you still have the problem that your drones are too far apart, so in the end only a tiny fraction of your bombs achive direct hits.

I'm not saying it's impossible to kill HQ with one set of B-29's only, but so far I had no success, not enough hits on target. Maybe I try again during the week.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 10:27:19 PM by Lusche »

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 10:38:03 PM »
How much more ord will you need? What if you have a heavy pony fly with you?
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 10:48:59 PM »
How much more ord will you need? What if you have a heavy pony fly with you?

You need the equivalent of 37x1000lbs directly on target. If only the lead bomber's bombs do hit, and due to bomb drop delay only 1/3rd of them hit the target, that would be ~13x500lbs only... you do the math ;)

I think I may post a few screenshots later today to illustrate the problem
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 10:52:22 PM by Lusche »

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 10:58:26 PM »
Right, however the drones also do damage, not as much as direct hits but it still counts.
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 11:01:58 PM »
Right, however the drones also do damage, not as much as direct hits but it still counts.

Do they? How much do they count vs a hardened target, and how did you verify this?

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 11:10:25 PM »
Do they? How much do they count vs a hardened target, and how did you verify this?

IDK, I was expecting you to explain it.
I know when you drop 3 250lb on a hangar (with formation) the hangar goes down, so the bombs that hit right next to the target still count. I realize HQ is a hardened target, so I assume the bombs that hit next to HQ would not count as much, but they should still count.
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 11:13:35 PM »
IDK, I was expecting you to explain it.

I can't explain what I don't know. From my experince, near misses do not help. You are assuming they do... time for a test  :banana:

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 11:20:20 PM »
I can't explain what I don't know. From my experince, near misses do not help. You are assuming they do... time for a test  :banana:

Please record.
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 11:22:59 PM »

I think i know who might be able to explain this.

Lt. Col. William R. Dunn