Author Topic: HQ Bomb load  (Read 1681 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: HQ Bomb load
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2011, 06:53:30 AM »
but if you wanted, couldnt you put the gear down, adjust the bomb arm height thingie, and get really really really really really really low? at least in offline mode, so that you could just get a massive line?

Yes, you can drop with gear down and having the drones in a line... but thats totally without any practical merit ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2011, 12:45:07 PM »
Do we know the length of the HQ?
If we do then we can fly at the speed which will drop all bombs on HQ. 
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2011, 02:11:01 PM »
Do we know the length of the HQ?
If we do then we can fly at the speed which will drop all bombs on HQ. 

With the "gear out, drones in line" trick? Won't work, as the drones do drop at the vey same moment the lead bomber does.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2011, 02:16:28 PM »
With the "gear out, drones in line" trick? Won't work, as the drones do drop at the vey same moment the lead bomber does.

I understand that, I'm saying that we need to slow down the bombers so they do not pass the target in the 2 seconds that it takes to drop the bombs. So I am trying to figure how how long is the HQ so we can calculate the speed required to pass it in 2 seconds.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2011, 05:19:24 PM »

:D

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2011, 05:31:14 PM »
these would work nicely, still 2 sets of lancs though ...

71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline remy1dog

• Zinc Member
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2011, 05:55:12 PM »
What exactly do you do that?

lancs at 200 ft above the ground, set salvo to 14, and pull up to try and avoid killing yourself.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2011, 12:14:59 PM »
these would work nicely, still 2 sets of lancs though ...

(Image removed from quote.)

They won't fit in a B-29 either.

:devil

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2011, 12:29:52 PM »
It would seem what you really need is not a formation, but 3 single-planes flying together hitting the same target?

Mach, you cannot take out an HQ with 1 single formation. Not even if you hit every bomb (which Lusche has shown you cannot do, especially with formations). The required lbs of explosives is about 2 formations' worth of lancasters, last I checked.

Lusche: Have you tried the 4x 4k with a formation? What's the spread on that? Less ord overall, but still 16000lbs per plane. Less bombs = less scattering, right? Less line-in-the-sand carpetting, in and out and gone.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2011, 12:33:54 PM »
Lusche: Have you tried the 4x 4k with a formation? What's the spread on that? Less ord overall, but still 16000lbs per plane. Less bombs = less scattering, right? Less line-in-the-sand carpetting, in and out and gone.

That was actually the first thing I ever tried in the B-29. Even though my speed was very moderate and I was bombing from low alt, I failed. The formation width was too big, the drone's bombs were missing the HQ left & right. And as shown in this thread, near misses do not scratch the HQ.