Author Topic: Damage Display 2.0  (Read 1106 times)

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Damage Display 2.0
« on: February 26, 2011, 07:59:45 PM »
My wish is for an updated damage system- no new hitboxes required, is as follows

• Checkbox for auto-displaying what's hit, but as an added component, removing the "All Systems Normal" tag, and only displaying the red damage text.  This will enhance visibility, especially in tight cocpit birds such as 109's.
  • Having voice files (either blank, or prefilled) which will play when the plane is damaged.  However, if multiple items are destroyed, with the most important damage (surfaces>radiator>oil>fuel>weapons>gunners>misc.) played first, then the next, and so on (the number can be set from 0 to all).  This feature can be controlled via checkbox.
  • Gunners should yelp when hit, and this will also be checkbox controlled.

-Penguin

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
Re: Damage Display 2.0
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 08:14:49 PM »
Doesn't seem to hard to bring up the damage list, or program the list to a joystick button.

Expand, just a voice comes on and reads out what was hit?

Clarify on this one too, I'm quite confused by a lot of this post.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 08:27:57 PM »
Ok, let's say you're in a dogfight, and you've already set your controller to do the things you want to.  You can't remap, since you'd lose other functions, and you can't leave the stick. 

Here's how it would happen-

Left aeileron takes a hit:

Red Text of Left Aeileron appears
Pilot Voice: Gah!  My left aeileron!

-Penguin

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 08:36:29 PM »
To that, negative.  YOU are the pilot, and a pilot would know his left aileron is gone by looking at it.  So... look at it. 

LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 08:40:18 PM »
Well then, Mr. Wisebob Backsasspants, you shouldn't need a map, either, because a real pilot has a good sense of direction!  :neener:

-Penguin

Offline ScottyK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 08:41:17 PM »
 most pilots have maps with them
Childhood is over the moment you know your gonna die.  Fight not to Fail, or end up like the others.   In my crate, im the commander.

IGN: Scotty57

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 08:44:38 PM »
True, but not the one we have.  I meant our map, and notice the  :neener: and the end.

-Penguin

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 09:22:08 PM »
Ok, let's say you're in a dogfight, and you've already set your controller to do the things you want to.  You can't remap, since you'd lose other functions, and you can't leave the stick. 

Here's how it would happen-

Left aeileron takes a hit:

Red Text of Left Aeileron appears
Pilot Voice: Gah!  My left aeileron!

-Penguin

So R2D2 is behind you keeping you updated on your aircraft status?
Onstar.

Door is ajar.
Door is ajar.
Lights are on.

:headscratch:

wrongway

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 09:27:44 PM »
LOL onstar thats was amazing... and jayhawk is right. if you hear a snap... TURN AROUND AND CHECK TO SEE WHATS WWRONG!!!

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 10:20:04 PM »
how do you see if you are missing a rudder or elevator in an F6f? how can you look and see that your flap is missing on a P40 or a spitfire?

how can one jump out of the cockpit and climb to the front of their planes nose and look back at the gun mounts to see which guns are jammed or shotout /damaged? how can one see if they are losing oil, avgas, water, etc in certian planes? ( well unless you fly mainly in the DA in F3 mode , or in a bomber in F3 mode )

not sure about the voice warning, but I do understand about the auto display of damaged flight controls...etc...

why is it that those who don't want it have to frown upon someone who might? noone would be forcing you to use it, it would be a personal preference, just like every other personal Flight Preference is eah person's own choice to use or not to use....

if HTC thinks this is a good idea, then they will make it happen...... if not then we will never see it...... pretty simple I believe  :)
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 11:04:42 PM »
Just look at what got hit, if you don't want to look you should be able to feel what's gone. In reality if you loose your rudder (for example) you don't see it, the only way to know that it's not there is by the feel.

True, but not the one we have.  I meant our map, and notice the  :neener: and the end.

-Penguin

I fly with a moving map, it even shows most aircraft in the area on it and identifies them.  :D
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 11:18:40 PM »
You could replace the damage.wav sound with...YOUR WING IS GONE!
Strokes

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 12:04:10 AM »
yeah... have you  evr tried deploying flaps with only one there? and for gunmounts, just fire prim. weapons, then sec. weapons.us for rudder, just give a bit of a nudge amd see what happens. same with the other control surfaces-- if the rate of climb/roll feels wierd, chances are something is wrong.

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 01:00:03 AM »
I would rather their not be a damage text thing I think its kinda lame, but that's why its an option.
we need multiple a/c updated and other things handled way before a computer read out of damage.
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline Avanti

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 01:17:49 AM »
not trying to flame, but why not make your own sound package?
instead of 'snap crackle pop' when your getting shot at you make it say "Damn! lost a Flap!" over the sound of it breaking off? or make it say when you take a vital hit and you catch fire "Should probably bail out now" or "Gotta get outta here!"

Never know, could be fun

Avanti