Author Topic: New Rig Complete...any tweeking that you think it needs please  (Read 2389 times)

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
Re: New Rig Complete...any tweeking that you think it needs please
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2011, 11:09:13 AM »
I loooooooove my SIGs.  Best handguns I ever owned!  Never have had an HK pistol, but would be interested.  Beretta?  Pffft.  Great shotguns, not impressed much by the pistols to be honest.  Just my opinion though.

Beretta 92FS-N....Italian, not the US version is a bully for a pistol but the HK USP 40 is an accurate bone crusher.  9mm are fine because three rounds, center-mass is just plenty.
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline jocrp6

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2011, 07:32:38 AM »
Nice build changeup, I can't belive bustr isn,t in on this one! lol,  That ASUS MB probly has some peset OC's that you can safely use without hurting anything, try not to exceed your 1600 FSB DRAM to keep it on a 1 to 1 ratio for stability, you'll be fine!  Misfire out,

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 10:15:32 AM »
Nice build changeup, I can't belive bustr isn,t in on this one! lol,  That ASUS MB probly has some peset OC's that you can safely use without hurting anything, try not to exceed your 1600 FSB DRAM to keep it on a 1 to 1 ratio for stability, you'll be fine!  Misfire out,

Thanks Misfire!  Miss havin you around....you know the Vox so bring Davski and the Rowdy Ones over more often.

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline jocrp6

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 10:34:17 AM »
I've got a post up on the site to bring all Rowdy's in for titanic tue's,  flying with you guy's! somebodys gonna catch you know what! lol

Offline Coronado

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2011, 04:12:12 PM »
A couple of things stand out, but they all cost $$$.

1.  That's not the top of the line vid card, so later on consider a vid card update.  The latest radeon is a single card dual GPU solution and according to the reviews it is very fast.  Not necessary right now, but it's probably your first mid-life upgrade option.
2.  You went with 2 mechanical HDs.  A SSD drive for boot and program files would be MUCH faster than the velociraptor.  Cost is an issue, but if it's just for boot and program files then you could get a "cheap" 60GB one.  That may cause an immediate increase in how fast the system *feels* (responsiveness).
3.  Backup and archive system - you need one.  Doing this right would be a good project for you and your kids, because it would teach you guys something useful and important, and also make it clear how important it is to get that right.  I suggest using old parts to make a windows home server system, if you have enough parts to do that.  WHS is still based on windows XP so it should run great on older hardware.  My WHS box uses an old 1ghz celeron from the old Pentium 3 family, with a fairly bare bones configuration.  I had to buy a $25 SATA card so I could put in a 1TB hard drive though, since the onboard IDE setup in BIOS was limited to only 80GB (old mobo!).  It runs fine and is very stable - I had it running unattended for almost a year without any faults, doing backups for 4 machines.  The current WHS lets you keep adding drives as necessary, automatically increasing the size of the backup volume whenever you add a drive and tell the server to include the new drive for backups.
4.  Put all of your systems on UPS backups.  I like APC ones but Falcon also has a good reputation.  Make sure you get a big enough one, and take the time to hook up the USB cable so you can monitor the UPS health and let power failures trigger automatic system shutdowns when required.
5.  Gigabit ethernet for everything, if you haven't done so already.  Hook up your broadband router to your cable modem (or whatever modem you have), but then instead of hooking your computer straight to the router, plug a gigabit ethernet switch to the router and then your computers to the gigabit switch.  Most routers still have old 10/100 switches in them, which is fine for internet access but which would slow down connections between computers in your house.  A gigabit switch would make it so your computers talk amongst each other at the fastest possible speed.
6.  Surround speakers and add-on sound card?
7.  Triple monitors?  Would probably need a new vid card, but the newer AMD/ATI cards should let you drive 3 monitors with only a single vid card.

You're running a card that is better than what 3/4 of the people are using, you may wanna upgrade in 2 or 3 years. (That's what i read about line 1) I run the GTX460SC EE..all my sliders maxed,, even the mice have shadows and run a 55 and up frame rate with excellent graphics, so i wouldn't sweat the card too much.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2011, 03:05:40 PM »
Thank you sir....just added another blue ray combo drive.  The thing is a monster...even the wife loves it.  Building these is addictive

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2011, 05:39:44 PM »
I give you one year before you get the itch to upgrade again  :D.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2011, 11:48:14 AM »
I give you one year before you get the itch to upgrade again  :D.

semp

I give him 6 months
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2011, 07:42:53 PM »
I dont think I'll make it that long!  I just finished a similar rig for our neighbor and he is absolutely shocked that he got it for 670.00 custom vs the machine he wanted from Dell for 600.00.  I gotta tell ya boys, this building computers is the shiznit.

Changeup

Offline Infidelz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2011, 05:26:18 PM »
I have a PCI-E SSD from OCZ. It is the 100 giga byte one. The drive does crash. I am starting to see less crashes as time goes on. I have been careful about what is turned on during boot and monitor the boot sequence.

This was a huge problem at first because the OS was non-recoverable. I hadn't run back up since the drive was supposed to be reliable. After the first crash I imaged the drive (see the getting started thing in WIN 7).

I have since
moved the SSD drive to a 16x slot and put the sound card in the 4x.
updated my bios (always a treat).
began running drive image at every software config change.

Problems that still occur have to due with the fata1ity card. Seems it loses all its settings @COLD BOOT and I wind up with no sound until a reboot. Think I am finding the work around lately by changing from game to music mode and back.

INFIDELZ

OCZ SSD 2.0
EVGA GTX570 Super clocker
ASUS R3E
12 Gig Corsair 12800
veloci-raptor
cool max 932
corsair 1000 watts
WIN7 64

INFIDELZ

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2011, 11:49:41 AM »
Recently blog articles have emerged stating extremely high failure rates on SSDs. Starting from 17 days to 6 months. Legend says someone bought 6 ssds and they're all dead in 12 months.

Sounds a bit worrying, then again there are several cases where the ssds have lived happily ever after (12 months +).
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2011, 09:15:45 PM »
UPDATE....had to go SLI!! lol

Kinda cramped though...next build I will run the wiring harnesses under the MB and along the strongside vertical rail.  This was a lot of fun.

Installing 6 more gigs of DDR3 tomorrow.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 09:17:49 PM by Changeup »

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2011, 09:59:19 AM »
Why wait?  I ripped my rig apart, rerouted all the wiring and put it back together in about 3 hours one day.  Now I hardly have any visible wiring and clean airflow through my case.

Make sure you have a drill, a dremel tool and a file to clean up rough edges.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2011, 10:24:34 AM »
Nice!  I will make that my project when the wife and kids go on vacation next month. One question,
Why would SLI these two cards not make much frame rate difference?  I flew with it last night and it still bounced from 60 to 54 when there were more than 12 or so peeps around.  It recovered much quicker but still dropped some.

All eye candy is pegged and running 2048 and full anti aliasing

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2011, 10:42:43 AM »
Nice!  I will make that my project when the wife and kids go on vacation next month. One question,
Why would SLI these two cards not make much frame rate difference?  I flew with it last night and it still bounced from 60 to 54 when there were more than 12 or so peeps around.  It recovered much quicker but still dropped some.

All eye candy is pegged and running 2048 and full anti aliasing

Do you have your SLI settings right in the Nvidia control panal?  You should never see a drop below your refresh rate with those cards in SLI.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.