Author Topic: Here Come the French!  (Read 2572 times)

Offline BERN1

• Nickel Member
Re: Here Come the French!
« Reply #105 on: March 20, 2011, 08:11:06 AM »
Wonder what Libya is going to do with the Eiffel Tower after France surrenders.

Did I just say that out loud?  :bolt:
turn it into an oil rig I suspect :bolt:

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #106 on: March 20, 2011, 08:21:18 AM »
I hope we all save our money and let the Mediterranean fall into full turmoil.

If we're lucky, the locals will be wielding their sabres against the Jews.

Gas prices won't matter to me, I can ride my bike to work.

No wonder everybody hates Yanks.... we talk like idiots. :aok

This ridiculous comment will lock this thread, and maybe Melvin's account too....
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #107 on: March 20, 2011, 08:21:57 AM »
This ridiculous comment will lock this thread, and maybe Melvin's account too....

Agreed. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Rhah

• Copper Member
« Reply #108 on: March 20, 2011, 08:52:48 AM »
yep, there goes this thread. sigh

:bolt:
Kommando Nowotny

Your level of fail is increasing exponentially with every subsequent post

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #109 on: March 20, 2011, 09:28:46 AM »
I can understand those opinions.

But to me its quite simple, there is war and there is peace.

I take the view, that humanity is inherently corrupt and violent, and trying to deny this fact is only serving to prolong suffering and create unrest.
 Life is survival, diplomacy is an attempt in keeping the situation peaceful. But as a Marine once said "Diplomacy is saying nice doggy until a recon sniper gets the range".

Sometimes humans are inherently corrupt and violent - but not always.  As far as I can tell, the violence and hatred that you see in war only rears its ugly head when confronted with people who are portrayed as being evil, or as deserving to die because of who they are/what they do/what they think.  It's easy to see your enemy as nothing more than a target to be eliminated, but at the end of the day he/she is just as human as you are.  IMO the more people come to realise that, the less violence and war there'll be.

And I'd interested to hear that marine's views on war as a whole.

Wars will be fought, no war is winnable, but the aim is to lose the least. I have shaken hands with guys who have lost limbs, Ive known people who have been blown to hell and back by an IED in that hellhole of a desert and its been my family going out into harms way for almost 150 years.

Its clear to me that in a war of ideaology, whether it be religion or political difference, or the simplest which has motivated all wars... independence and freedom. The war will be endless until the destruction of the capability to fight, or the annhilation of the populace of one of the protagonists.

Wars are generally waged by a small minority of the population.  Look at Afghanistan.  Al Qaeda/the Taliban represent a tiny number of people, and the vast majority of the Afghans are just regular civilians who probably want to be left alone to go about their daily lives.  So let's say you go and annihilate all Afghans - sure, the Taliban are gone (well most of them would probably have snuck into Pakistan, but that's a different issue).  You've now made yourself a mass murderer.  And in doing so, you will probably have pissed off regular people from all around the world so much that they'll start coming and shooting at you.  What do you do next, blow them up too?  In conclusion, annihilating a population does nobody any good.

On Iraq and insurgency, the local populace is not what I was driving at. I was talking about strictly military considerations. The VC, laid traps, ambushes, operated at night, used human shields, booby trapped war dead, used civillian's as weapons traffickers and so forth. The US did its fair share of nasty stuff too, but my point is, they couldnt level a town or carpet bomb Hanoi (rough examples) because the Russians, and the people at home and all other political and "Rules" wouldnt like it. Many Americans and Australians for that matter lost their lives because of these decisions. And even in Iraq, its a repeat, no action can be taken to fight insurgency when the insurgency is the local populace we are trying to help, as well as the fact the rules and opinions prevent us from fighting it anyway.

Either you have those rules and maybe a few more soldiers lose their lives, or you don't have them, and maybe a few, maybe a lot more innocent civilians like you and me lose theirs.  And then the families of those civilians may then decide to never support you.  I honestly don't understand what you're trying to argue here.

Now I do not pretend to know EVERYTHING about it, but it occurs to me that if America wants to fight wars on principle, it should at least fight on invitation. If it does WITHOUT invitation, then it should fight to win, with no rules.

Thats all I have to say really.

This war is being fought with invitation.

If there were no invitation, why would that mean there should be no ROE?
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #110 on: March 20, 2011, 10:23:38 AM »
This war is being fought with invitation.

You know, America was "invited" to intervene on Liberia's account a few years ago.  We sent something like ten soldiers, prompting Leno to quip: "Hey this really is 'an army of one!' Problem in Liberia?  Let's just send Frank!"

I do not know what is worse.  That we are involved, or that our leaders expect us to believe we are involved for a noble cause.

Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline VAMPIRE 2?

• Copper Member
« Reply #111 on: March 20, 2011, 11:13:46 AM »
You know, America was "invited" to intervene on Liberia's account a few years ago.  We sent something like ten soldiers, prompting Leno to quip: "Hey this really is 'an army of one!' Problem in Liberia?  Let's just send Frank!"

I do not know what is worse.  That we are involved, or that our leaders expect us to believe we are involved for a noble cause.

the truth will come with extreme delay and educated guesses, or if were lucky, a few of us may know officers whom may share the truth.
412TH braunco mustangs <--or so I hope lol

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #112 on: March 20, 2011, 11:15:57 AM »

So what would you prefer to happen?  And I really don't understand the relevance of Liberia to this.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 11:52:32 AM by Yossarian »
O o

Offline Wildcat1

• Gold Member
« Reply #113 on: March 20, 2011, 11:25:12 AM »
i just hope if ground troops need to be deployed, they don't stay there for years on end like in Iraq
having fun and getting killed since tour 110
The King of 'Cobras. 350th FG, Tunisia 2016

Air Traffic Controller (Air Warfare/Surface Warfare) 2nd Class, USS John C. Stennis CVN-74

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #114 on: March 20, 2011, 11:53:23 AM »
i just hope if ground troops need to be deployed, they don't stay there for years on end like in Iraq

It's been repeatedly said that they won't be...and the Libyans have said that if they were, they'd fight them like they're fighting Gaddafi.
O o

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #115 on: March 20, 2011, 12:10:15 PM »
Still reckon we should carpet bomb the whole country. but thats just me. Im one of those "Dont eff about" types

so you're advocating the murder of 6 million non-combatants? and you really dont have a problem with that? :headscratch:
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #116 on: March 20, 2011, 12:22:39 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 02:30:01 PM by Skuzzy »
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #117 on: March 20, 2011, 12:33:35 PM »
*cough cough* WW3 has begun

-BigBOBCH
  :devil  :aok
Reaper in a T-50-2 Scout tank in 10 seconds flat

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #118 on: March 20, 2011, 12:36:54 PM »
edit: screw it, if you want to be an idiot it's not my problem.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 12:41:13 PM by Yossarian »
O o

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #119 on: March 20, 2011, 01:23:41 PM »
So what would you prefer to happen?  And I really don't understand the relevance of Liberia to this.

The relevance is there are plenty of places in the world where the people are in dire straits, yet we do nothing.  I would prefer that we did nothing in Libya as well.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group