Author Topic: Here Come the French!  (Read 2552 times)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
Re: Here Come the French!
« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2011, 09:06:13 PM »
This may not end well.

(The THREAD, I mean).

5, 4, 3, 2...

scary stuff mano
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #91 on: March 19, 2011, 10:24:52 PM »
I am against our intervention.  We were not attacked and it is not our business to play God with the affairs and governments of other nations.  Those cruise missiles--necessary for our own defense--cost money, and now we will have to purchase more for the next time a president decides to go gallivanting about in a desert.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #92 on: March 19, 2011, 10:26:43 PM »
Not a big French fan. but I  :salute them fer being first in....

about us getting involved... how are we going to afford it? we're already in debt how many trillions...before Iraq and Afghanistan?

WW3 is coming on...
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
HogDweeb

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #93 on: March 19, 2011, 10:28:13 PM »
I am against our intervention.  We were not attacked and it is not our business to play God with the affairs and governments of other nations.  Those cruise missiles--necessary for our own defense--cost money, and now we will have to purchase more for the next time a president decides to go gallivanting about in a desert.
the UN (or is it NATO?). isnt there some catch in there if a country needs help and one country wants to get involved all countries allied with that country get in volved er something? maybe im losing it...but i feel like i read or heard that somewhere.
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
HogDweeb

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #94 on: March 19, 2011, 10:39:31 PM »
A single tomahawk costs $1.4mil... but at the same time, a few hundred million is not really all that much when compared to the US's annual defense budget.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #95 on: March 19, 2011, 10:46:16 PM »
A single tomahawk costs $1.4mil... but at the same time, a few hundred million is not really all that much when compared to the US's annual defense budget.

It's the principle of the thing.  This is not our fight, we should not be there.  I hope we stop at the missiles and don't send any of our airmen or troops into harm's way.  Risking their lives is completely unnecessary.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #96 on: March 19, 2011, 10:50:05 PM »

Amen Vudak! It just seems so manufactured. What would any of these governments feel like if there was a revolution in their country, and by fighting the rebels(revolutionaries) they were considered monsters by killing their civilians. You take a big guy, maybe not the nicest, who is keeping his little bros in line, the big neighbor kids dont think its right so they tie the guys hands behind his back, so the lil bros beat him up, and then claim (the neighbor kids) that they dont have an interest in the outcome, only that attrocities arent committed.

~AoM~

Offline VAMPIRE 2?

• Copper Member
« Reply #97 on: March 19, 2011, 11:01:49 PM »
I'm scared to know who these arab countries have ties with and if they play to help Gahdahfi with his retaliation.  Russia, ? Korea's, ? China, ? and the many other eastern countries that may be tired of our "thumb on head" tactics.

I just don't want to be ignorant to think that we are invincible, and there is talk of military being spread to thin... possible draft come into force? remember selective services? thats what thats for.
 :salute

412TH braunco mustangs <--or so I hope lol

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #98 on: March 20, 2011, 02:30:16 AM »

Cheney earns at least a few thousand dollars for each new Tomahawk they have to replace, so do many others in high rank. Yeah, they'll be happy to use the most expensive weapons they can find.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #99 on: March 20, 2011, 03:20:38 AM »
The French have some of the best NOE pilots in the world as far as I'm concerned.
If Ghadaffi didn't have stains in his undies before, he sure does now!
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
« Reply #100 on: March 20, 2011, 03:34:25 AM »
I can understand those opinions.

But to me its quite simple, there is war and there is peace.

I take the view, that humanity is inherently corrupt and violent, and trying to deny this fact is only serving to prolong suffering and create unrest. Life is survival, diplomacy is an attempt in keeping the situation peaceful. But as a Marine once said "Diplomacy is saying nice doggy until a recon sniper gets the range".

Wars will be fought, no war is winnable, but the aim is to lose the least. I have shaken hands with guys who have lost limbs, Ive known people who have been blown to hell and back by an IED in that hellhole of a desert and its been my family going out into harms way for almost 150 years.

Its clear to me that in a war of ideaology, whether it be religion or political difference, or the simplest which has motivated all wars... independence and freedom. The war will be endless until the destruction of the capability to fight, or the annhilation of the populace of one of the protagonists.

On Iraq and insurgency, the local populace is not what I was driving at. I was talking about strictly military considerations. The VC, laid traps, ambushes, operated at night, used human shields, booby trapped war dead, used civillian's as weapons traffickers and so forth. The US did its fair share of nasty stuff too, but my point is, they couldnt level a town or carpet bomb Hanoi (rough examples) because the Russians, and the people at home and all other political and "Rules" wouldnt like it. Many Americans and Australians for that matter lost their lives because of these decisions. And even in Iraq, its a repeat, no action can be taken to fight insurgency when the insurgency is the local populace we are trying to help, as well as the fact the rules and opinions prevent us from fighting it anyway.

And in response to penguins insightful and intelligent rebuttal to me which was "you are one F****ed up kid arent you?"

Allow me to say this, what makes me any different to your position, save being on the oppisite end of the argument. I could call you a sheltered little punk if I wished to but I didn't until now.

Now I do not pretend to know EVERYTHING about it, but it occurs to me that if America wants to fight wars on principle, it should at least fight on invitation. If it does WITHOUT invitation, then it should fight to win, with no rules.

Thats all I have to say really.
DaPacman - 71 Squadron RAF

"There are only two things that make life worth living. Fornication and Aviation"

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #101 on: March 20, 2011, 03:59:49 AM »
I hope we all save our money and let the Mediterranean fall into full turmoil.

If we're lucky, the locals will be wielding their sabres against the Jews.

Gas prices won't matter to me, I can ride my bike to work.

No wonder everybody hates Yanks.... we talk like idiots. :aok
See Rule #4

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
« Reply #102 on: March 20, 2011, 04:11:14 AM »
Well Im not an American, but you have a point as far as the government is concerned at any rate.
DaPacman - 71 Squadron RAF

"There are only two things that make life worth living. Fornication and Aviation"

Offline warhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #103 on: March 20, 2011, 04:21:53 AM »
I'd be shocked if there is anything currently being discussed that is "lock" worthy..... with respects to the immediate discussion, we're just discussing history....

I was banned for a week after starting a thread asking about American/Russian relations in the final stages of WWII.  Good luck  :cheers:
warhed
=Wings of Terror=

"Give me sheep, or give me death!"

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #104 on: March 20, 2011, 08:07:53 AM »
The US did its fair share of nasty stuff too, but my point is, they couldnt level a town or carpet bomb Hanoi (rough examples)
They couldn't carpet bomb Hanoi because it would have turned the entire population of Vietnam against the US...
It would have been counterproductive...

It's really quite silly to try to be an internet tough guy and say 'yeah man, screw people, just bomb everything, I don't care', it doesn't impress anyone.